Home General Discussion

Drawn to be Alive - crazy new UT2K4 mod

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
http://www.jeuxvideo.tv/drawn-to-be-alive-video-22195.html
That link will show you some game play.

You play this lil' hand drawn (child like drawing) of a guy in 2D fashion while adventuring in a 3D platformer world. Seems humans bring drawings to life to then frame them in boxes for their own viewing and curiosity. You play one that is trying to escape and free others. You can throw yourself into images and onto walls to hide as if you were just a drawing on the wall and slip into cracks behind furniture to avoid humans. Some stealth gameplay but it looks fun. The home site for the project is http://www.drawntobealive.com/.

Replies

• Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    french, WHAT!?!?

I dunno. I thought it was amusing.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    That looks very interesting.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    Psssh, why are these mod makers wasting their time? Everyone knows the only mods worth making are counter-strike clones. All kidding aside, I like the concept. I hope the gameplay turns out to be as interesting as the idea itself.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hey didnt they advertise in help wanted a while ago? looks really fun!
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    they did rosster, they were from my school (they finished this year) so this mod was their school project, and they got the first position, a DS game, "cross control" got the second position, really close to drawn to be alive.

as for the gameplay, even if it's still just a demo, they managed to showcase a very nice panel of moves and ideas, I think they want to polish everything before distributing it tho.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    haha, thats awesome. Really like the style theyr'e going for, and he's got some cool moves. I especially liked him folding in half to hide behind a skinny object.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    how exactly does it differ from paper mario thats been about since the n64?

nice walking animation smile.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Hawken.. it's not another mario game? laugh.gif

Seriously, though, that is COOL, especially for a mod project. If noone had said it was a mod I would have believed it to be a new full-on game coming out soon.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I never played paper mario tongue.gif
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Paper Mario makes fun of the fact that Mario is flat, but not that he's made out of paper. I can imagine some of the humor being the same, but the elements of hiding behind stuff and acting as if you're part of a drawing are certainly unique, to my knowledge.

Looks nice, hope they can work it out nicely too.
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    What a cool concept! It's nice to see something rather original. The various special moves and abilities seem pretty neat.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    how does this differ from ever other game using pixels and polygons to make an imaginary 3d world!

on a more serious note,, game looks fantastic,, not a fan of the stiff animations,, but i can see what they were trying for,
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From what I can tell, it looks kind of neat. At first I thought "oh a 2D character, nice they didn't want to (or know how) to rig a character. Gotta love the quality teaching at schools these days." But then I see custom characters that look pretty good with thier own custom animations so all is forgiven. The style they have going is pretty cool, I like the comic type feel to the characters even tho they are real world. Gives the game a sense of style. The lighting could use some help for a lot of the levels it seems like ambient lighting was being used? It seems like a stealthy type game so dark areas would be a must you would think?

I can't say the level design is really up to 2k4 standards maybe the original UT or Half-Life. It always hurts when you shrink a character down in the world, the level of detail that is expected is much higher. I would also expect to see more clutter. I would attribute this to a lack of referance. It looks like they mostly worked off of what they "know" about the world instead of taking the time to take pictures of allys, hallways (people). Even the cartoon-ish/real world style they have going could use more clutter.

It doesn't help that I can't translate the site so I can't find out too much about the game =/ Which I am really interested in. If they are looking to distribute this they should do localize the site in a few languages.

Looks like a cool idea, they just need to build off of it and expand thier knowelge/use of UnrealEd.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    I really liked the idea of paper guy. should be a very interesting mod. shame the site was in french frown.gif
  • vgadjo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vgadjo polycounter lvl 18
    Hi,

I'm one of the developers of this mod (concept, programming). It's nice to see people are interested in it. I know we have to make an english version of the website. We're going to make it as soon as possible wink.gif.

As Vahl wrote, this is a school project done by six students. It was produced in 6 months (after class hours). We aren't programmers, modelers or animators. This is the main reason everything isn't always looking as good as it should. I hope this is going to be enough for people to have fun with it when released.

Thanks for the support.
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    I love the trailer with the whole Frankenstein thing going on. Looks likea really interesting concept for a game, have to check it out in the future to see how it goes.