Home General Discussion

10 years ago today Quake 1 was released

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mishra polycounter lvl 18
not my first game, but my first game i've obsessed over for several years. i got it christmas 96 when i had just turned 8 and played it for several years, the nostalgia is immense. i know you all have memories and thoughts about this, so share them you jerks.

Replies

• Asherr
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    i think the only time i played Quake 1 was when we rented it on the SNES.
  • Major Clod
    Offline / Send Message
    Major Clod polycounter lvl 18
    Damn... so many memories... late night CTF gaming on a 56k Modem... then Team Fortress was released! Remember loving playing 2Fort4, The Well, The Rock map... ahh the memories! Quake Rally, all the absolutely RIDICULOUS weapon pack mods you could get which just packed dozens and dozens of custom weapons, bots, etc... all into one awesome multiplayer fragfest... ahh I think I'm going to have to find it, install it and crank up some multiplayer action with some friends.
  • cep
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    A lot of time spent playing TeamFortress late at night with my dad. The amount of quality cutom content for that mod alone is amazing. I've never had the same amount of fun playing a game since.

I love you Quake 1.
  • CheapAlert
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    I hope you're all also paying attention to Quake Expo too smile.gif
  • cep
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    I had been for the last couple, but everything seem to have died. maybe not?
    Thanks for the link
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    It was indexed and I never even knew of its existence.
  • Neo_God
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I knew of it's existense through mere magazines. as my comp at the time was a mac. Bry now I know bvetter I use a fucking PC. God bless quake.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    I guess this could tie in with the "give yourself advice ten years ago" thread... I didn't give a rat's ass about Q1 when it came out, thought it looked horrible and didn't enjoy the gameplay. I was totaly into Duke Nukem at the time; and funny enough, the one Quake game I hear the purists bitch about the most (Q3A) is the one I've enjoyed the most.
  • CrazyButcher
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    I remember the advertisement they had with the family dressed in white all staring at the monitor. Cant find the pic atm. I would say it being banned made it even popular wink.gif
  • flaagan
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I'm with Flaagan, I didn't beat Quake until maybe three years ago, at the time it came out I was much more into Duke Nukem 3d, and at the time, I didn't have a net connection to enjoy the mod scene.
  • Moz
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    I was a duke man myself, only played quake 1 afew years later.
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    aww man... quake one.... 3d... gorgeous level and creature design... multiplayer with 16 people...the GRAPPLING HOOK!...rocket arena...coop SP lan runs... man..that was a game.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Quake was, and still is, awesome. I played some DM (killer quake pak) with Rooster and Poopinmymouth when he visited earlier this year. Fun times!
  • Waz
    Offline / Send Message
    Waz polycounter lvl 17
    I still remember walking into the local computer store and seeing the box for Quake 1 and looking at the back with the cool 3D graphics on it and thinking I have got to get this. Had to run home and get my dad too buy it for me since I had no money at the time and I repaid him with money from my paper route. Man did I love that game and still do. I even still have the original box kicking around somewhere. It certainly was the spark that ignited my interest in 3d.
  • Dukester
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    I was soley on the Amiga until the end of 97 or the beginning of 98 when I bought a PC. What I started playing immediately was Q2.

As far as skiniin goes Q3 beat Q2 hands down.

As far as fun goes Q2 beat the hell out of Q3.
    That is why I am still playing Q2.

I never played Quake frown.gif
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I still have my original quake, but can't get it to run on xp now
  • CheapAlert
    Offline / Send Message
    oh thats easy, just install it and plop a sourceport on it. Anything from WinQuake and up will do (including the hundreds GLQuake derivatives), Tenebrae won't (that's still the only source port today that absolutely breaks compatibility, its also dead lol)

(insert obligatory darkplaces link)
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    oh yeah that is fun. winquake does the job.I still hate going in the water with those zombies who throw their arms at you.
    I remember I got quake and duke nukem shareware back in '96.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    I knew of it's existense through mere magazines. as my comp at the time was a mac. Bry now I know bvetter I use a fucking PC. God bless quake.

[/ QUOTE ]

quake for the mac was released in 1997. id software have generally released mac versions of all their games.

My earliest memories of Quake was playing deathmatch on my flat mates 486dx against another windows machine in my other flat mates room upstairs, via an archaic ethernet coaxial cable. I, like dukester there, was Amiga at the time.

The release of Quake pretty much killed gaming (and game development) on the Amiga.

Needless to say, Quake has probably spawned the community we participate in.

Lan meetings and playing in the UK TeamFortress league are probably my best memories of Quake. Played the game through only two times, first time I didn't know how to kill shub-niggurath.
  • Mishra
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    oh thats easy, just install it and plop a sourceport on it. Anything from WinQuake and up will do (including the hundreds GLQuake derivatives), Tenebrae won't (that's still the only source port today that absolutely breaks compatibility, its also dead lol)

(insert obligatory darkplaces link)

[/ QUOTE ]

i cant even install it though, it says "c:/windows/system32/autoexec.nt. the system file is not suitable for running ms-dos and microsoft windows applications" even if i put it in compatibility for win95. : /
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    definately one of the games that inspired me to become a developer.. I played this religiously, although like many others I was a duke devotee for a while.. they both rock!

I can just hear the 'raargh! *doof.. bonk bonk' of the demo playing when you load the game now in my head. I think I would take a bet that I can play through e1m1 blindfolded too laugh.gif
  • PfhorRunner
  • Bradfordart
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    anyone play the quake test? (like a alpha version of quake1). i remember being so amazed that there were rooms on top of rooms (as apposed to the doom1 or duke nukem engine which couldnt stack).
  • CheapAlert
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, i had my hopes up back then because it used 22khz 16bit audio which was actually pretty memory hogging at the time
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    q1dm6 FFA 10+ players = cure for anal leakage
  • sledgy
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    I was too much into Descent and MechWarrior to be bothered with FPS's until my friend in the lab lured me with beer, chips, and salsa into his lair to play the shareware Quake. It was all over then..I played for hours on end, even calling in sick to play. Competed in Red Annihalation and in several clans. I just couldn't get enough. Then I threw down the $300 for a Diamond Monster 3dfx Voodoo card, then later SLI'ed it with what was left of my spending and eating money. CTF w/grappler ftw! There was and is nothing like grappling someone and watching them twitch and die while you laugh raucously.

edit: Whoops I lied, I had the voodoo 1 first with 12MB of RAM, then got the dual Diamond Monster II's with 16MB each. Amazing how much dough I've thrown down over the years.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    heretic all the way. i was still at doom 2 since my pc was uber crap.
  • jam
    Offline / Send Message
    jam polycounter lvl 18
    Ahh memories. We had a little coax lan going on at the time (bnc and terminators = suckage)...hehe. I ran quake on a p75... Coming from Doom2, it was great to be able to jump. Rocket launcher and lightning gun (thunderbolt) kicked butt.

Good times. Q3 rules.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i used to love the fly through wall scheat, many aaahhh thats whats going on. the levels were so small when seen from outside, but seemed large enough when played ahhh happy brown memories