Home Technical Talk

Zbrush Brush Size and Vertice question

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
Is there a method of getting a brush size smaller than "one"? In short, I had my polygroups with my fingernails separate and hidden from my fingers while I did some tweaking and only realized later that the nails did not move position (I know, duh.. I wasn't thinking about that at the time).

So I am trying to clean them up, and move individual vertices only to have even with the brush at one with the move tool on, still effecting the surrounding area versus just the vertice I need. Making it very difficult to clean this mistake up.

If I put the tool unto the display and then enlarging its scale before 3d editing allow the vertices to separate enough to then let me select them individually? I cant try it at this moment. Im also wondering if this will screw up my scaling on export if I want to retain the same size as I imported the obj originally at.

Replies

• CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    I know exactly the problem you're having oX - and you can get round it by scaling up the tool. If you're worried about it being off-scale when you export it try this : before scaling up store the lowest level division as a morph target, or export it out. When you're done with your tweaks, reimport the low level mesh you saved - it should scale your model back to its original size but retain all the changes you made. I work between Maya/Silo and Zbrush, and have my "unify scale" set to 10 (or whatever it's called- don't have Zbrush on this machine yet to check). It brings your models in at a big enough size to avoid the scale vs minimum brush size problem. Hope that makes some kind of sense laugh.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately, that didnt help. Im also encountering an issue with the eyelid as well since I cant get the brush size to effect a smaller area.

Edit.. unless... wait. Click dragging outside the scale widget does scale proportionally or it only move the object closer/father?
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Aha...I think I see what's going wrong. When I said "scale", I actually meant resizing your model, and I'm not sure that the scale widget does this in the way you'd expect. Try this instead - make sure you're in "edit" mode, then go to tool>deformation and slide the "size" slider all the way up a couple of times, making sure that X, Y and Z are all highlighted to keep the scale uniform. Do this as much as you need to get the brush to work as expected. Anyway, roll on Mudbox...I'm getting sick of elaborate workarounds to do simple things in Zbrush.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That worked. Thanks.. Only issue I have now is I need to sub divide a certain area which will ruin the morph target. Anywork arounds? Not a huge deal as I could shrink it in the end inside max.