Home General Discussion

Prey demo

CheapAlert
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
has anyone preyed it yet? i'm getting it from gamershell </gorrilamarkerter> and i'll report back tomorrow.

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Wheee! Downloading now.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Yes. Been playing it about 30min now.
    DAMN - I love it. laugh.gif
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shit, i can not run this, though it's no requirements error but some freakish opengl initialization error that I also get with Quake4 and even ioq3. odd
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, HOLY SHIT. I can only play these games in like... hour segments, but GODDAMN THIS IS AWESOME. The amount of effort that just went into the first 45 minutes of the game is fucking awe inspiring. The amount of cool shit going on blows me away. too fuckin cool. It'll probably get more cookie cutter shooter-ish later on, but for now, its perfect.

(on a side note, did anyone else notice that the normal map for the hair on the 2 assholes in the bar at the beginning looked like ass? It was like someone went in zbrush and made it a little blobby with a small brush.)

anyways, Go DL it.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    What blows me away is the sheer amount of work that has gone into this. Really amazing.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Man the guys over at Human Head really out-did themselves on this one! Amazing demo WITH multiplayer that's damn addicting. The Rune Pac-Man is a great touch to the masterpiece.
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah for sure, excellent visuals and details. So nice. This is the kind of game that you want to play and not work on :P J/k.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    It was cool and i loved the gameplay very much, but the immersiveness of it all (for me) was hit or miss. dont get me wrong i love the style and the lighting and effects are gorgeous, but there are so many seams everywhere. maybe its because i cant help but notice those kinds of things.

i want to see just how the wall walking stuff works out with even more complex setups. fun fun wink.gif
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Just played through it..pretty cool...Some of the portholes and wall walking could make for cool multiplayer.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    That was the weirdest thing I've played in a while. Though, not really my kind of game, even if there's a huge amount of work into that portion. And Tommy talks too much for my liking. He doesn't have to say things are gross if I can see that myself.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Great demo! Surprising amount of content for under 500mb. That's fucked up.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I was definitely not expecting much from Prey, but that was amazing.

The only problem is I'm definitely not going to enjoy going through all that again when I play the full version.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'm with Sup, I wasn't expecting much - but holy hell was I blown away. Really immersive and a TONS of atmosphere. Best part was "That's fucked up. ok, THATS fucked up."
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I had high expectations and am still blown away.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    The only problem is I'm definitely not going to enjoy going through all that again when I play the full version.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was mentioned that the demo save games will work with the full, so you can get to where you left off.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was mentioned that the demo save games will work with the full, so you can get to where you left off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent. But I'm probably going to get the xbox version. frown.gif
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Best part was "That's fucked up. ok, THATS fucked up."

[/ QUOTE ]

And the trick with the music switching songs, turning up volume, and becoming uncontrollable when everything started to go badly.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    jaj.. this game IS awesome.. realy one of the most unusual games for a while.. but my stomach isn´t very happy about this game.. but hey.. easy is boring laugh.gif
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I was impressed, I really enjoyed it.

Btw SupRore, an extra cool part to that scene is that the music that is playing was never on the jukebox to start with smile.gif
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    wow .. what a badass game
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

Btw SupRore, an extra cool part to that scene is that the music that is playing was never on the jukebox to start with smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent, I didn't flip through long enough to notice that. smile.gif
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If anyone has problems starting it up, try reinstalling OpenAL. worked for me
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anybody want to try and host a polycount mp game? Seemed alright; the novelty of killing people through portals was pretty good.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    Holy fuck! Reeeeaaally cool. I'm impressed beyond reason.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    The gameplay was awesome, but the indian religion stuff bothers me, so I'm not gonna buy it
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    I think I played a different game. It was fun, but I didn't exactly think of it as amazing. Some cool novelties, like walking on ceilings and the out of body experiences (though those will probably be more prominent in the full game), but pretty shallow. The scope mode on the first gun was awesone though.

The atmosphere they created in the in game cinematic was totally awesome though and made me hope for a system shock 2 type depth, but I guess I'll have to wait for Bioshock before that happens again in a shooter.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...the indian religion stuff bothers me, so I'm not gonna buy it

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha!
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I played for all of about 30 seconds this morning before leaving for work.
    Looked like a lot of fun! Ran pretty smooth too. I was kinda surprised.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    what amazes me the most is that i am running it on high at a good resolution and it runs pretty smoothly and looks great .. even though i am on dated hardwared .. 9800pro,512mb ram, barton 2800.. doom3 never ran this good
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I ran it on high, 1024, AA, with my 3000+ 64 bit, gf6600 256mb, and 512mb ram.
  • Spoon_of_death
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon_of_death polycounter lvl 17
    WOW! I always tought it was some Doom rip-off but this demo was awesome!!! The whole beam-me-up-spaceship ride was really cool! Much cooler than the part in Halflife2 with a similar idea...
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    One of the things that's nice about no longer following games is that I am pleasantly surprised by stuff like this.

Very atmospheric stuff, and some interesting gameplay innovations too. The introduction with the bar was handled very nicely; watching the place get torn to shreds while "Don't Fear the Reaper" blared in the background was awesome. laugh.gif
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    The box planet was just too cool I thought smile.gif
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool. I was also pleasantly surprised it ran so smoothly on the highest settings on my machine.

I'm really not a fan of the normal-mapped characters though. Maybe it wasn't, infact, running well on my machine, but the harsh black shadows of the normals look awful in my opinion. Very plastic-y doll like. But I guess this look has become the accepted.

Probably get this for the 360 when it comes out.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

I'm really not a fan of the normal-mapped characters though. Maybe it wasn't, infact, running well on my machine, but the harsh black shadows of the normals look awful in my opinion. Very plastic-y doll like. But I guess this look has become the accepted.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna' blame it on the doom3 engine.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    the box planet was in fact the coolest part ... when i realized what happened i shot off a big "whoa" .. definitely something i have never seen done before
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    funnnn fun fun, bad ass shiznite yo.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    pretty cool

doesnt run too great for me though. just above playable on my 2.9ghz, 768 ram and gf fx5500 frown.gif
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    This is the first game I will buy since guitar hero.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh, in contrast to Quake4 at medium settings, prey runs like a piece of crap for me on lowest on my fx5200

• Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    got about 4 stages into the demo before leaving work. Thoughts...

graphics are definately a step above doom, but still everything looks like it has plastic wrap on the models. way to shiny everywhere.

I love the organic weapons, the first gun you get is by far the best and I also like how the levels can be either up or down. The spiritual effects are very nice, especially fighting for your soul after dying and the FX were great.

The main character talks way to much. I'll probably buy it after when its 19.99 and under or i'll rent it on xb360.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Heh, in contrast to Quake4 at medium settings, prey runs like a piece of crap for me on lowest on my fx5200

[/ QUOTE ]It's not ;o) I'm getting better performance than I did for Quake 4 that's for sure, on much higher quality settings as well, that's on an ATI 9600XT 256MB with a crap 2800M AMD (running at 1.4Mhz) so if you can 'beat' that with the CPU it won't be that causing problems.

Not heard good things about the 5500FX series cards either.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Yea I definitely noticed the smooth frame rates! It auto detected my 6800 ultra and set me at top settings, ran completely smooth! Very cool gameplay too, I loved that they included some rock classics in the bar. The quirks of the portals, anti-grav pathways and gravity flipping target were added some very cool elements. My favorite part was Talon, that bird raped the baddies right in their faces!!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Interesting, the framerate wasn't too smooth on my system or there was some kind of input lag.

The box planet wasn't surprising to me, I've looked at that thing a bit longer from the outside and noticed that there were sructures on the surface that would be fitting for a tiny person so I kinda expected to be teleported there.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    it's highly polished, both visually and play-wise, but what makes me the happiest is that they were generous with what's in the demo. You get a taste of the multiplayer, and in single player all of the major story and game mechanics are set up. There have been great games with demos that don't give you enough of a taste of what's great about them, but Prey definitely avoids that. thumbs up to Human Head for such a great looking game, and i'm definitely going to pick up the retail.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Almost completely unplayable on my system. Even at the lowest lowest settings with everything turned off. frown.gif
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    actually gauss, in my opinion, I think they should have made the demo end earlier. The perfect place to end it would have been when he falls to his "supposed" death and appears in the desert with his grandpa. Or just ended with the fall. Still, happy to have the extra bits.

Some things I was thinking of. How come you can walk through fire and forcefields in spirit mode, but for some reason bullets still hurt you? Anyone else think that the "woman" we heard, was actually the entire ship. I think that the ship is the main intelligent bad guy and that its basically eating all the humans for fuel or whatever.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    She sounded like Judy Dench (spl?) to me.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    This is the first game I will buy since guitar hero.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the first game that I will feel good about buying since Guitar Hero wink.gif
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    actually gauss, in my opinion, I think they should have made the demo end earlier. The perfect place to end it would have been when he falls to his "supposed" death and appears in the desert with his grandpa. Or just ended with the fall. Still, happy to have the extra bits.

Some things I was thinking of. How come you can walk through fire and forcefields in spirit mode, but for some reason bullets still hurt you? Anyone else think that the "woman" we heard, was actually the entire ship. I think that the ship is the main intelligent bad guy and that its basically eating all the humans for fuel or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you on ending the demo earlier...spirit walking could have been a neat final feature to show off in the retail version. The "'woman" voice reminded me a bit too much of System Shock 2.... not that that's a bad thing, but I don't think Prey, no matter how good it is, will compare with SS2 in the Computer-ship-badguy-monster-thing department, so I hope they do something else.

Pretty freaking awesome demo though...I'm still not a fan of the doom3 engine lighting, but man, this had a lot of really kickbutt things going for it... and damn, I love RUNE-MAN!!!!!