polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
sledgy polycounter lvl 18

Replies

• SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    yay realtime fart animations in game woot woot, including crowd dynamics (running away) and facial anim (wrinkling of nose)
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    at first I read it as 500MHz, but 500GHz? Damn! Even at room temperature it ran at 300. I mean, I would just be happy with a 5GHz processor right now, haha.

I can't wait to see what sort of stuff comes from this in the next few years.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Real time radisity can be done on current GPU's. It's just too damn taxing to use it in a REAL game smile.gif
    But hey, you can have a hell of a nice GI lit BOX in a BOX room. hehe

500ghz though, that's crazy. I'll take a 10ghz please smile.gif
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, the problem is it's not a cpu frown.gif when the transistors are actually put into the design of a processor, you don't get even close to that. some guy on digg said it's roughly 1/10th if you have a simple design, and even less with more complexity.

[ QUOTE ]
    The reported speed is not that of a microprocessor but that of a single transistor, specifically a single SiGe BJT transistor. When they talk about the maximum operating frequency of the device they are referring to the peak fT, or the maximum oscillation frequency. This measurement is made on a single transistor using "small-signals" from an RF (radio frequency) network analyzer. This is not the same frequency you will get if you were to use this transistor inside a computer chip. To give you an idea, current 90-nm CMOS transistors used in modern microprocessors have a peak fT of ~150 GHz, but we only see processors with clock frequencies less than 4 GHz.

It is well known that BJT transistors are much faster than MOSFET transistors used in today's microprocessors. We are unlikely to see this technology used in typical microprocessors as BJTs consume too much static power. This transistor will likely be applied to the RF front end of telecommunication devices.

[/ QUOTE ]
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I'll gladly buy a second case to house just my CPU, there's already practically a need for a second case with some of the quad-video card set ups I've seen articles for! laugh.gif
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe I'd actually be able to switch between applications with no hiccups??!?!
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    as long as you dont use Maya (har har laugh.gif)
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    That thing could increase the speed of EVERYTHING. I just wonder what it does for power consumption, faster switching should reduce the consumption per switch but how will it perform in real life?
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    ::intercom::

Cleanup on Keys "F, G, B, H, J, U, T , R , V, N, M , spacebar, 5, 6, 7 , f4 , f3,"
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    I'd buy that for a dollar
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, you could get an entire pack of transistors for a dollar.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder if they will have a home version that lets us switch the plutonium fuel rods out on the fly so we don't have to power the beast down or interrupt all those movies everyone will be pulling down.
  • WarPeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarPeanut polycounter lvl 17
    OMG It would revolutionize freecell.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah Vig, that or a little cold fusion reactor. (Depending on your memory type.)
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig: A logic gate only uses power while it's changing between two states. This transistor switches in a fraction of the time a normal transistor takes.
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    Stinks that it doesn't go into any more detail as to how the germanium has an effect and why it helps speed things up, if it allowed them to shrink the transistor even more or require fewer e-'s to reach the potential difference. Depending on how it is used, I'm curious as to what would be needed to cool this thing.

[edit]I just did some digging around and here's what I found. The germanium is used to create a silicon germanium alloy, SiGe. When a silicon layer is put on top of SiGe the Si atoms are stretched apart to line up with the spacing of the SiGe. That's pretty cool cause that would reduce the resistance of the transistor and allow it to charge up and down more quickly, and could reduce the amount of heat per switch. Would still be interesting to see how much of a drop in heat there is, would have to be pretty significant for it to not have melted after switching at those speeds for a while.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isn't that what's known as strained silicon tech?
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So what's new about it? Was this the first time it works or does this add better straining or something?