Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character "Lilian"

KDR_11k
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
Lilian.jpg
Lilian_Wires.jpg

Made with no poly limit in mind. It's an exercise in working with higher polygon numbers (without using subdivision) and a character I've wanted to model for some time. The two swords are plasma weapons so the part you see isn't meant for hitting anything. Some places have double edgeloops in order to influence the shading (though I don't think I've made a model without those lately, Blender has no smoothing groups and detaching geometry sucks). The stuff on her left forearm wasn't in the concept originally but she looked like she'd need something to reduce the symmetry. Maybe I should reconcept that bit, it doesn't look very convincing...

Replies

• Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Eyes seem a bit high on the head, shins a bit short. I'm liking it. Looking good!
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    ditto what ninjas said

can we get a close up of the face mesh?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Overall not a bad head, the topology works well for the pseudo-anime style you're going for. The nose geometry looks a little wierd though, like you modeled in the edge loops and geometry for a more realistic anatomical nose but kept it smooth and anime-ified. If you're satisfied with how it looks smoothed you could probably clean up the nose a bit, and by doing so save some polies, and sex-up your mouth edge loops.

There's also a pole (many edges connecting at one vert) outside the edge of the eyes, I think you could get rid of those and improve your general mesh flow by... uh... well I painted up a sloppy edge loop eval for ya to try and help. A couple of the edges radiating from your eye loops end up going straight down the side of the face when they could be continuing horizontally (or diagonally or whatever their "natural" direction is) back. I'm not saying this is the best and only way to do edge loops, but so far it's given me the best results. Hope it helps.

kdrcrit.jpg
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    whats up with the double bubble butt plugs?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What I dislike about continuing a flow direction for too long is the difference in density, around the eye there's dozens of edges defining the shape but the farther away you go the fewer edges are available for defining the shape, forcing either a density too high at the eye or too low further away. That's why I often drop into the regular square flow, so I have enough edges to define what I want without affecting other parts of the model. Especially the corner of the mouth often gives me trouble, I don't want ten loops ending in such a small area but I don't want the cheeks to lack detail either.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, nice work! I think she's looking very good. smile.gif

Couple of minor crits that I can see - her feet seem a little too big, and the shape of them could do with some tweaking to make them less linear, and more form-fitting - take a look at some photo ref of women's boots and try to match the shape. They're rarely as flat and straight on the top and sides as that.

Her hands look a bit small, and seem a little unnecessarily poly-heavy? Depends what you're going for, I guess.

I wouldn't worry too much about the loops around the eye that Ferg mentioned (sorry Ferg! wink.gif ), it looks fine and shouldn't have any problems deforming in animation. Granted, it's not "ideal" topology there, but I don't think it needs to be reworked either.

I agree with what you said about maybe re-concepting the forearm piece, it seems fairly random and I'm not sure of it's purpose. Actually in general her costume seems fairly bland, but I'm sure that could be improved with a texture.

Keep it up! smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since I spent yesterday trying to get this to work right (the unit script still doesn't work right, the missiles were supposed to come out of the darker parts on the front section) I haven't done much with the model yet, just implemented the earier crits: Longer shins, eyes slightly lower and forward, larger hands, changed boots and removed the forearm thingy. I'll think up something to attach to the forearm later.

Lilian_update1.jpg

As for the hands, I was going for "as many polygons as make sense" since I usually don't put a lot of detail into the mesh. The nose polgons do contribute to the shape and shading, they're just not very pronounced.

The costume is a rather simple design, I don't think the texture will make it look much different. She's wearing a tight black bodysuit, the separate cloth geometry will have a different color. That should create a black cross shape on her torso so it's not all one colour.
  • RE3456
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RE3456 polycounter lvl 18
    I wouldn't worry about the face topology
  • 3DGURU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DGURU polycounter lvl 17
    wow , the modeling is awesome
    can you please post the side and the front view of the face

make them with hair and without

side and side with hair
    and front and front with hair

thanks

GURU
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lilian_FaceFS.jpg

Hair is transparent so I have to do less renders *lazy*.

I'm currently not working on it, the heat is killing me and my brain isn't capable of modeling anything more complicated than a few units for a TA Spring mod I spontaneously decided to start.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    The ear is way too high and needs to be moved further back.

But I like the boots. Definitly the best you have done so far, especially since that always seemed like a weak spot of most of your models.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    having the ears that far forward and up gives her a nice "gelfling" look, if thats what you're going for. The top of her head is a bit flat though.

looking nice so far. Not really sure the weapons work.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lilian_T1.jpg

Tried a slightly different approach to texturing. I think I've corrected the ear position. WTF is a "gelfling"?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Never seen The Dark Crystal, KDR? Google it, and you'll find out what a gelfling is smile.gif