Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Generic female head (game)

FightingChance
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
FightingChance polycounter lvl 17
I believe this goes here. My apologies if it doesn't.

This is a generic female head, meant for games. I tried to budget at 1000 tris; eyes are heavy and will probably be reduced. (is tris the accepted 'budget' point, or faces?)

Any criticisms are appreciated, especially anything that is wrong. Anything that can be improved too. I haven't yet gone through the process of making the faces more uniform in size yet, fyi. Also, screenshots were taken with the default FOV in Maya, so there is some 'fisheye' distortion.

FHProfile.jpg

FHFront.jpg
FHBack.jpg

Replies

• Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Not a bad start, I'd say, but you really need edgeloops in the face. Your mouth has some, but it ends there; normally, there are loops going from the nose to the chin as well.
  • FightingChance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Re-did most of the cheek and mouth area.

FHProfile2.jpg
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    My advice is to make it look female. Study the bone and muscular structure of the head, and facial features. Differences between male and female. Then we can give modeling tips. And never strive to be generic. So many people do, you won't learn nothin'.
  • FightingChance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm trying to get layout and form practiced before I moved into style. I tried going straight to stylized or specific too fast, and it was very apparent what corners I had cut or what I didn't understand.

Can a game character of such limited resolution appropriately convey the bone structure/muscles, or should I be more concerned with laying points and edges down on defomrable areas (or can they be one in the same?)
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    You can accomplish good shape even with limited polies. It's probably in your best interest that you use some reference images. You can go to http://thnom.tehunlose.com/model_resource/ anf ind a face that you like, then import it into Maya and match your geometry the best that you can. laugh.gif

As for what I can see wrong, the forehead juts far too foward, the eyes are too small and too far apart, the lips are too low, the jaw is too triangular (like the bone itself, should be just a bit more boxish) and you may want to work on the shape of that nose. Also, you need to shift the whole face and jaw up or at least make the cranium of the head taller; the eyes should be in the center of the head, and currently your's are not. I could do some paintovers if you wish. grin.gif

EDIT: nevermind, I did them anyway. I hope this helps you determine your shape problems.
    WomansFaceredline.jpg

and so you can see it better. I hope you notice that on most faces, the nose is more of a ramp onto the cheek rather than a sheer drop. Also notice how the lips look on the curve of the face. That's because of the shape of the jaw.
    WomansFaceblackline.jpg
  • FightingChance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for the visual guides Makkon (and also thank you Elysium for your input as well.) I admit I didn't use an image for the side profile of the head, only the front, and even then just the face and not the entire head. I was planning on overall roundness/preportion as a finishing step after trying to untangle a workable vert layout. I'll give these a study and apply them.
  • FightingChance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Increased cranium size, puffed out cheeks and continued to massage vertex spacing.

Thanks guys.

FHeadProf.jpg