Home General Discussion

Shipped-Game schwag

Replies

• bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    No, you are simply a douchebag that just ruined a perfectly fun thread. Again. I would think you would get tired of this, but apparently not.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouch.

I can see his point though, even though it was poorly expressed. People place different values on different kinds of perks. Some just want the dough, they're usually the less social types though, not great as team players.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Whats your income have to do with it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only do you assume an awful lot but you have an appallingly bad short term memory. You brought up income with this direct quote: "Just pay me well and treat me decently".

Now, take the Kub smackdown as administered (one large spoonfull) and dont contribute to a thread If you have some big problem with it. Schwag is free crap for goddsakes. That's all.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    kub: do you think we've had enough of the worthless troll? should we ban him? He's not a positive or even a productive member of the community and we'd all probably be better off without his crap.

we all get tired of being his singular source of amusement as practices his ability to take over threads with his childish self centered bullshit. if he cant pull his attitude in a bit, we can always do it for him. he'll probably just giggle and laugh at this anyways. he's scored a touchdown in his opinion. he's finally gotten us to warn him! that's the troll's milestone that they are doing their self appointed job well. I personally think we are all very tired of it.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    not game related but I get sushi once a month and lame company polo shirts.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...and laughter!

[/ QUOTE ]
    So cute.
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, here at Neversoft we get some cool schwag mixed with some weird scwhag. We get tons of free skate clothing every year, which our company doesn't pay for (in fact, the skate companies usually pay an advertising fee to be in our game). They dump a ton of last year's clothes on us. I haven't had to pay for shoes (Etnies, Vans, Adio) in over 2 years. I've got 3 or 4 hoodies, about a dozen shirts, free skateboard decks (which I've had signed by the pro skaters that come around), the list goes on and on.

I think my favorite ever though was a free Nixon watch. We had a licensing deal with them and they allowed every employee to pick a free watch from their website. I picked a $200 watch. It was pretty cool. Battery's dead now, so I haven't worn it in ages. smile.gif

On top of the other sweet benefits we get here at NS, this stuff is just icing on the cake.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    R13, I believe PM would be the best to confront me with this.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sure telling Rogue13 how to run his site isn't the best method for avoiding a ban, oXYnary...
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    On topic - I noticed both of the San Andreas soundtracks (2 CD and 7CD) are still in their plastic wrappers on my desk.

I've had a winter coat 2 years in a row now, but that's probably just because Scotland get bloody cold. My R* North beanie is a permanent fixture in the bottom of my bag. But no matter how much it rains, I'm not parading around with a LCS umbrealla.

But Dan nailed it. Companies make loads of promo stuff. Sometimes stockrooms get cleared out, and sometimes you just get it anyway. I have a few young cousins who get most of my tshirts. They love them. Think of the joy.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Besides, you air your distracting, un-informed, contrary, opinions out in the open where we have to put up with it, why does your embarrassing discipline all of a sudden go behind closed doors?

poop.gif
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Besides, you air your distracting, un-informed, contrary, opinions out in the open where we have to put up with it, why does your embarrassing discipline all of a sudden go behind closed doors?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah I agree, Rick is a such a PITA. smile.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Alright fine. I'll have it out in the open. I sent r13 a message that anything I said I know already I have been judged. This is the area that seems to cause the most angst on both sides. Banning me from the site as a whole seems harsh given that I am not a seen as a troll in the other areas of it. So the best solution I could offer is to ban me from general discussion.

I stay here too often as many times this is the only social interaction I have for entire days and sometimes I get slightly obsessive.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    thats funny, i'm looking at my SA soundtrack right now, still in its plastic wrapper. Except mine's got a hole punched in it ... presumably to fuck up trading it in.

... hang on ... LCS umbrella?!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    thats funny, i'm looking at my SA soundtrack right now, still in its plastic wrapper. Except mine's got a hole punched in it ... presumably to fuck up trading it in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reminds me of a funny story. I was supposed to model a shirt for the game, and it had a giant whole in the side of it in the photos. I asked if I was supposed to model it, thinking it might be a new style. Come to find out, it's so that we don't keep it and wear it! How cheeky is that!? We're putting a tshirt of theirs in a game that will be played by millions, and we can't have a shirt that probably cost them five dollars. I won't mention the brand name, but I don't like them any more.

poop.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Jesus guys, come on.

Like kub said, I started this thread to see the cool little goodies that you all have gotten. Poop stated it very well, that these things raise morale and help you feel pride in your product. There was no need to shove my thread in the shitter - this was meant to be fun for all of us.

Thanks...
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Reminds me of a funny story. I was supposed to model a shirt for the game, and it had a giant whole in the side of it in the photos. I asked if I was supposed to model it, thinking it might be a new style. Come to find out, it's so that we don't keep it and wear it! How cheeky is that!? We're putting a tshirt of theirs in a game that will be played by millions, and we can't have a shirt that probably cost them five dollars. I won't mention the brand name, but I don't like them any more.

poop.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats quite awesome.

I know someone that stole an xbox360 devkit. Does that count as free schwag?
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    Haha! Did he get busted?
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    that counts as free felony I think

When I was testing for microsoft, one of the tester's car exploded (he wasnt in it) with a brand new 360 dev kit inside... that was an interesting event to watch. And then there was the guy who was posting very sensetive info about the game on the official forums from his computer at the office. If you count experiences as shwag, I defintely took some good stuff with me from that job smile.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye, LCS umbrella. You can have mine.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    The stuff i have gotten from sony has been just crazy and cool and silly.

tshirts a plenty of course. I got so many sony game shirts i could use them as my primary wardrobe for work easily. plenty of ball caps and such too. a couple stacks of games, every game my chunk of sony has published. a couple eq elf lady action figures. a leather jacket with the planetside logo embroidered on the back with "rogue13" on the front, still with the tags on it.... a set of dogtags with the planetside logo

then there is the inch thick stack of posters and prints i have in the other room. mostly eq and eq2 stuff.

a refridgerator... an ex-employee left it behind and it was given to me instead of throwing it out...

frisbee, football and clock with the sony logo on them... couple shotglasses, bottle openers and necklaces. a couple pieces of really nice luggage with sony logos on it [those are always fun in an airport], nail grooming tools with sony logo on them, episode 1 2 and 3 dvd's from lucasarts, a yearly package of dvd's from sony pictures... dadddy daycare, charlies angles, badboys2, spiderman 1 and 2.

A star wars laser pointer pen, actual star wars concept drawings, a couple of swiss army knives with a faction logo from planetside on them. more recently i'm getting justice league dvd's and about all the free DC comics i want and dont want on a weekly basis.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    R13 that is a sweet list you got there of free shwag. I'm not sure the refridgerator count as shwag though...
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Not a shipped game, but the little ad company I worked for got a crapload of Capcom stuff for making a website for them. Best client ever! I made out with a Viewtiful Joe bobblehead and one of those KMD shirts. Wait... that sounded wrong.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Possibly "made off" would work better smile.gif

R13: Damn, that's a pretty nice list of stuff.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    uhmm,,,After Completing Ghostrecon earlier this spring we got a 2 week allinclusive holiday in mexico and...a towel to use there! (also ofcourse, some more of the neverending flow of tshirts O_O )

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty damn nice and rare in this day and age. I almost forgot. When we finished Dungeon Keeper2, the entire team got an all expenses paid trip to Tunisia. Sand boarding on dunes in the Sahara, camel rides, belly dances round campfires (not us, dancers), trips to the set of the phantom menace (its still sits there in the middle of the sahara). That's some pretty nice 'schwag'. Ah, the good ol' days smile.gif (although ironically the last people I wanted to hang out with after the crunch were the dev. team :-))
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    All I've gotten so far is a tee-shirt from a shipping company I made the logo/shirt design for.

And a garaunteed spot in heaven for making the Maine Council of Churches logo. So that ones pretty nice, but its no tee-shirt.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    wow rogue that is some seriously cool shwag, you gotta spread the wealth smile.gif

schwag ? is that how you spell it ?
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Occasionally our clients will send schwag to LD, but by the time it goes through admin and management the people who bust thier asses pulling all-nighters and working weekends are lucky to get any of it. smirk.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Rick, does Rockstar still sell any of the full music collections from the GTA series? (I wouldn't mind getting my hands on the VC one, and the SA one wouldn't be too bad to get ahold of).

Oh, and I almost forgot; I almost ended up with a Kilrathi foot. When I was working the sims 2: uni QA, we got an email from the leads that the people at Origin two floors up had a bunch of old Wing Commander crap they wanted to get rid of. When we were diggin through the goodies (old manuals and ship specs and other oddities), one of the things I came across was a Kilrathi foot from the Wing Commander game with all the FMV's. I ended up giving it to someone on the team who was *really* into the whole scifi / space fighter genre... besides... it wouldn't have fit in with the Tikis around my room laugh.gif
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joolz8000 polycounter lvl 18
    I've got nothing worth taking pictures of... a few poker chips for TruePoker. Two T-shirts for Auto Assault. A couple of free games (but the majority of games I actually had to pay for, ha). Uh. I guess that's it. But I can't complain. laugh.gif
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    not game related but I get sushi once a month and lame company polo shirts.

[/ QUOTE ]

winner!
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    We usually get tshirts for all of the games we're working on, and since I work at a publisher I end up with a lot of tshirts. Some are actually fun to wear around, I get a lot of interesting questions from strangers when wearing my Gun shirt around, and I had some homeless guy in Santa Monica following me around calling me Tony Hawk when I was wearing my American Wasteland shirt.

Some of the recent shirts have gotten nicer, with Xmen hoodies and track jackets, and some Puma gear from the True Crime sponsor.

Other than that, each year at christmas Activision gives away some really nice gifts to some random employees. This past year we saw some things like HD TV sets and Laptops, and then a friend of mine got a minifridge (which isn't so cool compared to a widescreen TV, but a friendly gesture regardless).

I've been trying to snag a Project 8 poster and skate deck, but no luck so far.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    R13: Does that include a free subscription to SOE's all-games service or do you have to buy that yourself?
  • wille
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wille polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

That's pretty damn nice and rare in this day and age. I almost forgot. When we finished Dungeon Keeper2, the entire team got an all expenses paid trip to Tunisia. Sand boarding on dunes in the Sahara, camel rides, belly dances round campfires (not us, dancers), trips to the set of the phantom menace (its still sits there in the middle of the sahara). That's some pretty nice 'schwag'. Ah, the good ol' days smile.gif (although ironically the last people I wanted to hang out with after the crunch were the dev. team :-))

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah it was great, but hang out with 30 gamedevelopers for 2 weeks in the burning sun without computers and weird stuff starts to happen.

Oh I also got a trajjillion Ghost recon pens...but they tend to break _very_ easily.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hey Rick, does Rockstar still sell any of the full music collections from the GTA series? (I wouldn't mind getting my hands on the VC one, and the SA one wouldn't be too bad to get ahold of).

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably - amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006SM6Q/103-9386887-7391052?v=glance&n=5174
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    "yeah it was great, but hang out with 30 gamedevelopers for 2 weeks in the burning sun without computers and weird stuff starts to happen. "

i can only begin to imagine
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    a free Nixon watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grrrrr - Nixon watches are sooooo much better than my company t-shirt, game soundtrack and copy of the game! I feel blessed for these small perks though...at my last place we didn't even get a copy of the game each - just one for the company shelves! That's probably for the best though thinking about it!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    FAT, don't feel so bad. I don't think I'm getting a free copy of STACKED, either frown.gif
    It's only $29, so it's that big a deal to pick up. But damn, I wanted that free copy.... smile.gif
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Poop, your making a assumption if they would or not (if they didnt give out schwag, redistribute that money).

I guess to me, its like throwing rice to the peasants or slaves. I mean if Im going to have to be a companies bitch, then show me enough respect not to have this "tra la la arent we all happy together?" crap. Just pay me well and treat me decently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes I feel like people put a lot of effort into finding the most condemnable motive possible behind a certain action. In my experience that's a good way to get really angry towards everything and the conclusions usualy aren't even true.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    laugh.gif awesome
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    kdr: yes i have free subscriptions to all the SOE games.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Fun thread.
    Haven't really shipped a game yet, but I do have a decent amount of Tribes:Vengeance related swag. A large drinking glass, beta cd, press kit, Tribal war T-Shirt. Not bad for just being a corporate approved mod team at the time.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe, as part of polycounts new 'image', we can set up a bartering system. We can put up 'swag' to be purchased/or traded for other swag. That'd give those that have too much crap/cool stuff to make some $$ off of it, or have the proceeds go towards getting gauss that third leg.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Got a $1200 scooter for a game I worked on but was never shipped frown.gif T-shirt, stickers too.