Home Technical Talk

UV mapping problem

Krisonrik
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Krisonrik polycounter lvl 17
I am trying to create a high polygon model. Here is what I want to do. I want to create facial texture and torso and other body parts seperately. But I want the polygon mesh to stay as one. I am using Maya. I see the choice to copy some UV into a new UV set. But those UV seems to still stay in the old UV set. When I apply different shader on face and body, it seems the UV that's left behind in the 1st UV set will create trouble. Can anyone please give me some tip on how to do this properly? I always see artiest having a complete seperate texture file for face so I know it is doable. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    It's ok to have the UVs in the same UV area in the editor. Then difference is, when applying materials, you apply the face material to the area you want that texture and the body material to the polygons you want the body on.

An easy fix is seperate your mesh into the different material sections for setting up UVs and materials. Then, reassemble the model when you're ready.

There may be better methods, but I havne't used maya in a while so I can't click in there now and explain them.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I guess I'm not really understanding what the problem is. You don't necessarily need to complicate matters with UV sets. Just offset the head from the body in a range other than 0-1.