Home General Discussion

ah college

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mishra polycounter lvl 18
I just registered my classes that i'm taking next semester, about 10 hours a week of biology, 4 hours of chemistry, an hour and a half of college writing and an hour and a half of western civilization. if you hadnt guessed by now, i'm going to major in science. which is weird because the school is best known for arts and music.

reminisce about college here, and maybe some tips for my first year would be help.

Replies

• JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Especially biology can help with art wink.gif

Sounds like a nice choice of topics, scientists with a good knowlegde of arts and history are the most well educated persons wink.gif Beats a MBA in any case laugh.gif

Have fun in college!
    (Oh and don't be too dissapointed if it isn't as cool as you always imagined tongue.gif )
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    You're a year ahead of me, Mishra. Do some scouting, I expect a full report on college life by the time I get out of high school. Maybe a passage on which meals to avoid and how to play a proper game of beer pong. crazy.gif

Where are you going to school?
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to SUNY Purchase.

I'm not imagining it being cool, i'm more imagining lots of scene kids running around quoting napoleon dynamite and having popped collars, collegehumor.com really helped with that visualization.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    When I went to school, I lived in the international section of the dorms. The tried to get a local for every foreigner. It was pretty fun. I really enjoyed it for awhile
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    My only suggestion is to spend the first week agressively trying to meet everyone that you can. Its an easy time to meet people when no one knows anyone else. Booze may help loosen you up. Also, bring booze and share == you popular.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i know you don't spend a whole lot of time here, but seriously, get off the internet. while i've got some good friends from polycount and #m_d and i wouldn't want to change that, i spent a lot more time working on my shit and talking to people on the internet when i should have been going to college and finding my social group at college.

not a big regret, and not really something i think you'll have problems with, but seriously, make an effort.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss you make an excellent point, that was my problem all of high school pretty much. in college though, i think i'll find other things to do, there are already quite a few clubs and things i'm eyeing, mainly the jazz club, and i know there are a bunch of other musicians up there i could jam with which is probably going to be the majority of my social life.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    be cool... the rest will fall into place
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It could be worse...another few miles over and you could be in Connecticut...or Jersey. Alrighty, NY representin', East Coast mofos!

Ohh and Facebook will eat your soul if you let it. If you haven't heard of it, forget I ever said anything.
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    Aha, some fellow New Yorkers! cool.gif

Same here, Mishra, I've probably spent a little too much time at the computer during my time in High School. If there's one thing I regret in regards to my education, it's that I didn't get involved with more clubs, go out with friends more often, etc. You should explore your college campus as soon as you are able to. grin.gif
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It could be worse...another few miles over and you could be in Connecticut...or Jersey. Alrighty, NY representin', East Coast mofos!

Ohh and Facebook will eat your soul if you let it. If you haven't heard of it, forget I ever said anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

ive already heard of facebook, all my college friends area addicted. i already have a myspace though and im hardly addicted to that.

i'm not living on campus first semester though, but i may move up there second.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Like Gauss said, I missed out on a lot of social interaction. When others were partying, I was working on projects, but that's how I wanted it, so that's what I got. If that's something you may not be satisfied with, seek out clubs to join; there's bound to be a few you'll like where you can meet interesting people or make friends.

I'm not much of a people person.

Oh, yeah, if your college is anything like mine, don't expect anyone to volunteer help. If you get any at all, you will have to actively seek it out. Managing all the peripheral things (forms to fill out, applications, issues w/ roommates, exercise, etc) and all of the important school issues without help from anyone was the most frustrating and difficult part of my college career.

Good luck, and don't quit, no matter what.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, agreeing with 8ft, my college was a do-it-yourself kind of place. Don't expect anyone to hold your hand and walk you through things too much. Be pesky. It'll pay off.

I had a rather unfortunate incident in college along this lines and will go ahead and share. Funding had been cut to public universities, so my school quit doing mail-in registrations. So instead, you had to go in person and register for classes. Well, they didn't send a letter announcing what day this would actually be, but instead, just noted this fact in the school paper, which I did not read. Oops. No classes.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I spent most of my college years avoiding classes.

I had a part time job making coffee and making websites, in an internet cafe. Back then (95-97) the internet was special and cost 10p a minute to use.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    dont be shy, talk to people, make friends.
    try to talk and make friends with the foreign students. you both can benefit.

when studying, study your ass off. learn everything you can about your subjects and yourself.
    you have an entire campus library(presumably), MAKE USE OF IT! and WRITE! your intelligent, make it show on paper and in your speech.

DONT drop those classes! tough it out and do your best! (if the prof's a prick, do better! laugh.gif)

have fun. laugh!

dorms may suck ass but some rental places can suck worse. wink.gif as a freshman at my college we were required to live on campus our first semester. keep those grades up and get into the honours dorms.

if you drink or smoke, do so responsibly. wink.gif

leave your highschool baggage behind.

GET SMART! HAVE FUN! laugh.gif
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i spent my uni years making freinds and i wouldnt change it for the world, but my course suffered and ive had to work like a bugger since, ive basically done 2 years hardcore graft after uni to get to the position im in now, have fun, but dont squander those years when you dont have to do your 3d after a full time job etc. oh and dont smoke too much, nothing like smoking for gettin nothin done.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    my bits of advice....
    - get your name known by lending a hand whenever you can, this makes friends quickly with both teachers and fellow students
    - get involved, which it sounds like you're already looking into (the clubs and such)
    - have fun

Sounds mindlessly generic, but never forget you're going there to better yourself and your chances in the outside world.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Study as little as possible but manage to pass at least enough not to get kicked out, party a lot, sleep a lot... drag it out as long as you can!
    After college it's 40-some years of working so enjoy the last few years of irresponsibility smile.gif

But then again this is from somebody that lives in a country where college is pretty much free so there were no financial downsides of spending 6 years on a 4 year program.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Being a college student is a good profession.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    ^
    Hell yes it is. I spent ten years in college, majoring in Avoiding The Real World. Having now graduated into said real world, I can confirm that college was much more enjoyable.
  • Todd Dinosaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Todd Dinosaur polycounter lvl 18
    Find a party and go to it.
    Find the beer and drink it.
    Find a hottie and screw her.

.... and repeat
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I'd avoid the whole nakedness with drunk chicks, regardless of if youre drunk too or not... Cause then you start thinking the next day, "was she conscious.... was that almost date rape?"
  • Todd Dinosaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Todd Dinosaur polycounter lvl 18
    HA ha, that sounds like virgin talk to me. Drunk chicks are the best. Seriously go out and have fun make a ton of friends, because after college is over the next time you will be in a community of people that have are the same age and everyone looking to have fun is when you retire to florida in an old folks community. College was the best, or at least what I can remember of it.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    they kick me off field for being drunk.. dirty bastards
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    start smoking (cigarettes), or start hanging out with the smokers if you dont want to start. Reall easy way to meet some cool people smile.gif

talk to people, go to parties, have fun. if you're shy work on it by just saying 'hi' to any woman/person you see. Talk to people in you class, dont be a douche rocket.

college is fun, you should have a great time and learn quite a bit. Just dont get too caught up in your books.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    Run an ad in the school paper, "FREE ASS 4 HOT JOXXX!!" You'll make a fair few friends, and will never have to cuddle. The cool thing about this is, after a few encounters with a particular respondant you can get away with charging a little money and eventually pay for all your classes and HIV tests. It works. Just consider it.