Home General Discussion

Track Day June 2006

r13
founder
Offline / Send Message
r13 founder
I had a good weekend and thought I'd share some pics with the crowd. Every few months I take my car out to the a local race track and attend a driving school run by The Driver's Edge. This is not real racing, as we don't time our laps and there is never any 1st, 2nd or 3rd awards or the type given out. I have an instructor in the car at all times and am only on the track with others that are of a similar level of driving skill. That said, its easily the most intense fun I've have on a regular basis. I can drive better than ever before and I've avoided at least one accident by applying some of the braking techniques from the track.

June 2006

June 2005

October 2005

The Driver's Edge

oh and after the track on sunday, i headed back to austin in time to see the Texas Rollergirls June match as well. It was a good weekend. smile.gif

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome, R13... looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing smile.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Damn that looks like a lot of fun. They have a nice choice in cars. Corvette... Viper... Golf... Mini... all would be fun to cruise a track in laugh.gif

Was the track an oval or road coarse?
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    its an old nascar oval with an attached road course. we only use a part of the oval tho.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    As I said in #md, i'm still envious! :P
    Glad you had a good (and safe) time on the track.

Not to hijack the thread, but I guess I'll share my car experiences from this past weekend... Saw an advanced screening of pixar's Cars... coooool~... and also went to the '06 Mopar Alley Rally, got a few photos:
    http://studioflaagan.com/moparrally06/
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet, I want to do something similar at some point with my Supra MKIII. You didn't say what you were driving unless I missed it?
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    smile.gif I was expecting some American beast, fine choice of transportation device R13. I was at a track a couple of years ago and saw a race spec golf that absolutely bolted off the line with all four wheels spinning. It left quite an impression on me and really increased my respect for these cars.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    hmmmmm, yes, an R32 is on my christmas list ...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I wish I could have gotten one of the new GTI's when I got my Jetta this year. Then again, I can't stay out of the gas as it is :/

r13, were any of those Vettes the Z06? I'd love to get one of those out on a track. I wish GM hadn't shut down all of the tracks on the campus I worked at. I had my hands on a Z06 once, but only in a test garage frown.gif
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    yeah, plenty of z06's there. Probably close to 1/2 of them were and that includes the new '06 models. I took pics of one of the '06 z06 engines too. those cars are monsters...

there was a pair of lingenfelter z06's too... well untill one blew its timing chain...

there was a bunch of accidents. a couple M3's died: one went off, went thru 3 wire fences and landed in fairly deep ditch that it had to be craned out of to get it. The other lost a control rod in the front steering and the wheel was set free and thru the car's fender. a miata was totaled... you can see the pic of it in the lastest round. A beginner clipped a tight corner, went off, over corrected and spun it 180 as he was going sideways and backwards back across the track and was starting to roll it onto the driver's side when they hit the tire/concrete wall.