Home General Discussion

250 Wii?

cochtl
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
cochtl polycounter lvl 18
Wii for 250

I think this is great. While the lineup was sorta hit or miss at e3 i am sure that it will get better and with the price at half the cost of the "low end" ps3 this is sure to get people to buy this console.

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Actually, I'm thinking it will be $200 in the U.S.
    EVERY Nintendo console has been $200, so there's no reason to think this one will cost more.
    It's a great price point. Now if they make more than a handful of good games this time, the system might be worth it smile.gif
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I think the original NES was just $100, and it's being cheaper than the Sega Master System is one of the reasons it caught on despite having 'inferior' hardware. Then again, it was twenty years ago, and I admit I don't remember so good. I do remember that he first game I bought for it was Kung Fu, and that set me back just $22 laugh.gif
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Ummm Vassago... isn't the 250 price is what they've officially released, if it was gonna be 200 why would they say 250? :P

But yea, nice that they still managed to get it cheap. Can't say it makes me want one anymore, but it is very nice for all those nintendo fans out there.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think the original NES was just $100, and it's being cheaper than the Sega Master System is one of the reasons it caught on despite having 'inferior' hardware. Then again, it was twenty years ago, and I admit I don't remember so good. I do remember that he first game I bought for it was Kung Fu, and that set me back just $22 laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

the orginal nes debuted at 200 in 1986, it went down to 100 a few years after launch.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nintendo has simply said it's going to be 'under $250'. Doesn't mean it IS $250. smile.gif
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    They never said $250. They said under $250. They also said to 'look at what we've done historically', ie $199.99.

Why would they do that? To exceed expectations.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.joystiq.com/2006/05/17/wii-will-cost-200-say-spectators/

"An executive from SEGA goes further, suggesting that Wii will launch for under $200"
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Probably not worth a new topic, so I'll just post here:
    http://cube.gamespy.com/articles/710/710186p1.html

Reggie Fils-Aime is the new president of Nintendo of America.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome, reggie kicks ass! cause he said so!!!
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    At that price, I should really just buy 2 of them. One for home, and one for the office. Sa-weeet!
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    i kinda rounded up from the projected/suspected price of 249.99, so yeah wink.gif

It's still considerably cheaper than anything else out or coming out soon. The 200 selling point also makes sense given their tradition, but i still think it's interestingly good news.

What it will do is make the consumer opt for one of the more expensive consoles and the WII or just go for the WII itself.

Either way it guarantees a pretty good console base, assuming the games dont suck.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    They said 25000 Yen (or somesuch) was the maximum price. The same price as the Gamecube sold for in Japan. Remember, videogames and hardware are cheaper in the US than the rest of the world.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Isnt Wii just an overclocked GC with fancy controller?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naah, the chips were actually modified.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, it's more like a not really overclocked Xbox with a fancy controller. Atleast going by what I've seen so far. :P

Ahh well, the games will still appeal to the same people they do now, and life will go on. smile.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    250 ? its mine.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    If the machine is $250, and the graphics are good and the games have that Nintendo Design Immortality, then $350.00 is just going to Kill the competition. The fact that Nintendo Aimed at a game console, rather than a Console/DVD/Internet Broser, means that they can offer it cheap. X-Box and PS3are doomed.
    (says the PC Gamer).

Scott
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    X-Box and PS3are doomed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that Xbox 360 is already well on it's feet, and had an amazing E3, and Sony is such a powerhouse that they are good to go no matter what I'd think.

And nintendo continues to not appeal to a great portion of North American gamers who still see it as kiddy.

All the systems will have their markets, and all will survive at this point I'm thinking.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I second that.
    I don't think any of the consoles will fail. They will all have their market, as they always have.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unless of course we define "fail" as "fail to make a profit".
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Unless of course we define "fail" as "fail to make a profit".

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if that's how we define failure, then wouldn't that make both the original XBox and PS2 failures? laugh.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The PS2 made a profit (of course we have to consider the profits made because of the system, not only the profits from system sales), just not as much as the Gamecube.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really? I was under the impression that the PS2 pretty much slaughtered the gamecube and xbox in profits and sales?

Did I miss something?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It sold more and had a lot more revenue but in the end Sony Computer Entertainment made about half as much profit as Nintendo. Probably because Nintendo makes more games of their own.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm, that makes enough sense. Learn something new every day. smile.gif Thanks.
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spider2cool polycounter lvl 18
    i think that the wii will be a good game system for the average middle-class american family. its not to pricy and if their kid(s) is old enough to want a game system for x-mas, birthday, or whatever then i see good reason that the middle class will flock to this system. I am middle class and 250 or less will definatly work on my budget then 1/2 a G. I think the other systems coming out are more for the single hardcore gamer that has nothing but time to ooh and ahh over how well there new "lexus" can spit out realistic graphics. a co-worker and i were having this conversation the other day, and i always thought that kick ass graphics can not be the only thing that drives sales....sometimes, i think, its having alot of games to chose from that focus more on storyline and gameplay, rather than few hi-end games with realistic graphics that don't put as much focus on storyline or gameplay that are more worth my money.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    im sold.
    really i sold my sole, for a Wii.

personnally i hope they do well. and kick MS and sony to the curb, cos theyre policy of flash graphics over gameplay has really pissed me off recently, i love games, yet i have bought a total of like four, in the past three months.

i remember being about twelve and going to the local, "games dealer" (dodgy buggers they were) and thinking wow all these possiblities, hwo far will my pocketmoney go (about 30p a week). now i often go to a game shop, search for ages and come away with nowt.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really i sold my sole, for a Wii.

Must suck to run around barefoot.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone have the specs for the WII? I seem to remember it having a gig of ram and a rather decent video card... While it isnt as fast as ps3/360 im fairly sure its a pretty powerful system.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    It doesn't seem to be "next-gen" type specs. Madden on it has the same graphics as it does today on the xbox, ps2 and PC.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR- i saw that and left it in to see if anyone would pick-up on it, any way wouldnt you sell your sole for a Wii, seams like a good deal to me

Thnom, veryone keeps saying its graphics are last/current gen, but from what ive seen, they look pretty good to me, not quite as good as good as 360s (no hd etc) but not as big a difference as people are making out IMO
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    EQ - not true. It's slightly better than a current xbox or PS2. I think it's got 88 megs of total ram and no pixel shader support.

That's why I'm hoping it's cheap, but who knows how expensive that controller tech is.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a bit old (note use of reveloution) but maybe usefull

"Revolution will build on GameCube's configuration of 24MBs 1T-SRAM and 16MBs D-RAM (40MBs) by adding an addition 64MBs of 1T-SRAM. The result is a supply of memory in Revolution that totals 104MBs. That number does not consider either the 512MBs of allegedly accessible (but hardly ideal) Flash RAM or the Hollywood GPU's on-board memory, said to be 3MBs by sources. "
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    By the time the Wii comes out Microsoft will probably lower the price of their 360 to the equivalent of Nintendo's new toy, along with a shitload of amazing games (which did kind of own E3).

I've never liked a single game nintendo made. They're supposedly revolutionary with their game designs, but from what I've played revolutionary usually meant frustrating. Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of people enjoy it, but it can't really be that hard to see why most people would rather play awesome looking cool games with more familiarity than mess around with yellow stars and pink balloons all day, until you've collected some ludacris amount through repetitive gaming.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and to make it clear i meant that the games only looked slightly not as polished as alot of xboxs titles (not the specs) IMO
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's using SRAM, that stuff's at least four times as expensive as DRAM but has sub-nanosecond latencies.

Are you sure about that pixelshader support?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX - fair enough but its all very opinion based, and alot of other opinions say otherwise.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i thought looking at screenies that it did have per pixel shading going on (alot of falloff and normals being used in mario galaxy pour example)

KDR----"It's using SRAM, that stuff's at least four times as expensive as DRAM but has sub-nanosecond latencies.
    "
    is that good :-z
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    A lot of the screenshots for the Wii look like the are using pixel shaders, plus ATI is manufacturing their GPU, so it doesn't really make sense that they would make an effort to produce something worse than what they are already geared up for.
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    SkullboX - fair enough but its all very opinion based, and alot of other opinions say otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I was saying I find it odd that a lot of nintendo fans don't see that most people do not care for the type of 'revolutionary' gameplay nintendo offers, certainly not when it looks as bad as it does (technically). Whatever your definition of 'a lot' is, it certainly isn't a majority opinions.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    yeah, games are to play not to watch, nintendo allows us to play.....who the hell said this by the way ?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skullbox- "The big question after every Electronic Entertainment Expo is always "which publisher won?" That query never has a definitive answer, but if the results of the Game Critics Awards: Best of E3 2006 are any indication, the winner would be Nintendo, which took home five awards--more than any other publisher.
    Since 1998, select gaming journalists have been pooled together to decide what they thought were the best products at E3. This year, 37 judges, from outlets such as Rolling Stone, GameSpot, and The Los Angeles Times, tallied together their votes. (Each year, GameSpot also doles out its own Best of E3 Awards.) "
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah well, I determine the winner of E3 as: What system had the most games that got me excited? (not THAT way, sicko's).

With that being the case, Microsoft won, hands down. Both on the PC and 360 front.

smile.gif
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nintendo won for me, personal choice, i was just saying that that seams like a popular choice maybe The most popular choice eh
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know a lot of people enjoy it, but it can't really be that hard to see why most people would rather play awesome looking cool games with more familiarity than mess around with yellow stars and pink balloons all day, until you've collected some ludacris amount through repetitive gaming.

Don't equate Rare with Nintendo, the masters of the collectathon have joined Microsoft now. Nintendo doesn't require you to collect 20 Bafmodads to progress. Sure, the Mario games do require a certain number of stars to progress but those are earned by completing a level so in effect it's just "Beat 70 levels". As for familiarity, with the Wii Nintendo is aiming to make the controls more "familiar" especially to people who aren't familiar with the current control setups (which includes PC-only and gamers whose last console was the VCS or NES).

I've read rumors that Nintendo will go as low as 150$ but 200$ seems the most likely price (remember, those 250$ maximum they claimed are the same price the GC launched for in Japan). MS will not beat that. They might attempt a price drop by 50$ but so far it doesn't look like they'll do that, they're losing too much money per unit, Sony is asking a price so far out MS doesn't need to react and they claim they don't see the Wii as a competitor.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    although sunshine did have loads of crappy collect stuff levels
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    I'm excited about the Wii. I wish I'd never purchased my original Xbox. I only enjoyed a few games on it. (The new Pitfall, was one) Nintendo has always made games that are fun. Sure they are usually cute and kiddy...but they are actually fun. Maybe my taste has simply changed...but I'd rather have a system like the Wii for a console...since I already have a PC. Besides...nothing beats being able to download the original NES titles like Wii will allow us to do.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    My nephew was up for the weekend, and was too small to manage Forza (wee hands, wee mind). I put on Mario Sunshine, he was able to play. I played it again.

Nintendo makes games that 4 year old can play and enjoy, and a 30 year old can play and enjoy.

My DS has had at least twice as much use that my higher specced PSP has had.
  • character
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    character polycounter lvl 18
    wii for 250 is good but still too much for me considering the fact that you still have to buy extra controllers. i hope this has built in memory and it better come with hi-def options at least. if not i'm sticking with my ds until the price drops to at least 150-200. i don't see myself getting a 360 or a ps3 for a loooong time cause of the price. i'm thinking 4-5 years from now MAYBE. DS and ffxi for me