Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warhammer style Orc

Rota626
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Rota626 polycounter lvl 17
Hi!

I`ve been lurking here for a while, I thought it`s time to post something here. Hope you like it : presp.jpg
And sorry for my bad english.
Rota

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe, I think it's excellent!

You've captured the Warhammer look very well.

My main critique is that you could get more colour into the armour designs or maybe onto the body - Orcs like bright red tattoos and painted designs on their armour, also the black and white "checkerboard" pattern is often used on Orc armour and it works very well.

Also, the shoulderpads look very low-poly compared to the rest of the body, I think some more polys in there to round them out a little would help a lot! And the chains going from the shoulderpads down the torso, they don't look strong or big enough to be really "orcy" ... kinda thin at the moment.

Pose the model and he'll look even better!

Great work though, I look forward to seeing more smile.gif

Also, welcome to Polycount! wink.gif
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    I like the face area, Ya very cool, The rest is pretty much to symetric and boring tho. U need more assymetry in there, But anyway cool start.Give him some tatoos and blood like MOp said, YA that'd be cool Make him look like he battle hard, not like hes fresh outta war school or something smile.gif

ben
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    looking really good. I would kill the harsh dark shadow outlining his bicep though. Right now its making him look bubble muscled.

- BoBo
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    warhammer orc would not have tats or body paints, so steer clear of that,, if it was a savage orc it could have the body paint, but then it would have no armor, and just a crude stick or bone weapons

i really like the face but the body seems too "mr. olympia" toned and chisseled for my personal taste, also,

not srue what the black hair/fur is suposed to be,, is it a cape , or something attached to his helm? also agree with other chaps,, bulk up those chains!

anyway over all its looking good,
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    that looks cool
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Gorgeous, any chance we could see the texture flats, and a wireframe view as well?

Awesome work.

poop.gif
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, this looks awesome.

I have one question though, shouldn't he have 1 less set of abs? I realize that technically there can be 4, but the 4th doesn't show ever does it?

I might be totally wrong, it just caught my eye. smile.gif

Anyways, beautiful model, thanks for posting it. smile.gif
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    He's not constrained by the rules of your pitiful man-belly.

Looking nice, mate. Theres something erking me slightly about.. something but I can't for the life of me work out what it is.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    orc_paintover.jpg

I had worked on the base orc at work, so I've been able to have some time spent trying to work with making skin that is green. I hope I can help share some of the problems that I came across that also show up on your skin.

First off, your metals are all great. They really pull off the grunged up metal that they'd be using.

Red Area- I noticed that you were using some really dark darks in the recesses of your muscle areas. That'd work well on the undersides of the armpit area, as it's not gonna be getting much light from those massive shoulders. You had too much contrast going on along the bicep and forearm areas. You don't need to have such strong light and darks, especially on skin, as any lighting that you'd be putting onto it is going to change it alot. It looks like you have enough geometry there so that when lit, it would show the forms off nicely. So I toned everything so that there was just enough contrast to break up the muscle areas that you put in there.

Blue- Same thing here for the front of the torso. Others have mentioned about this, so I won't bother much there.

Orange- You had alot of detail going on in the eyes, but from all the reference that I've found on these guys, they just have beady red eyes. Your eyes did look cool, though.

Purple- It's hard to tell what kind of muscle definition is going on here. It's all just a soft mass with a deep recess running down it.

The only thing that bothered me about the metal was the skull on the axe. Seemed to lack enough depth to make it look like something an orc would make. That and the skull design is a bit odd looking.

Hope this helps. laugh.gif
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Kurtis you goon! you added a belly button!
  • thefatladysings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thefatladysings polycounter lvl 17
    yeah! don't you know orcs are made of fungis? smirk.gif
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Well, he already had nipples! >_<
  • Rota626
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rota626 polycounter lvl 17
    Woah!

Thanks for the critics(especially the paintover), I actually agree with the most of it, so I will get back to this guy when I finished some other personal project smile.gif.
    for Poop:
    Wire
    Body flat
    weapon flat

I know, it has lots and lots of anatomical issues, but I will try to fix those too.
    Ohh and here`s the reference that I used, the artwork of the fabulous James Ryman .

Rota
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I think he could really benefit from a spec map.

His arms and belly texture seem too 'noisy', it almost looks like he's covered in moss in those areas, in my opinion. dialing it down a bit and smoothing out his skin [just a little] would help.

great model, though
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Excellent work Rota. However I agree with most of the crits given. It seems you have a lot of darker colors in the orc's skin. Personally I miss a bit more spec highlights on places like hands and biceps.

Other than that great job smile.gif

EDIT: Sectaurs beat me to it. Yeah spec map is a good solution.