Home General Discussion

Wii: super Mario Galaxy

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
hawken polycounter lvl 19
http://youtube.com/watch?v=U-Qw1ClCVN8&feature=Views&page=1&t=t&f=b

imagine that on a very large HDTV with lots of beers and lots of snacks.

I'm going to be on hell of a fat bastard come the end of this year.

Also did you see the "stampeed" for the nintendo stand on youtube at e3?? zomg:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=U-Qw1ClCVN8&feature=Views&page=1&t=t&f=b

the que
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aGlvLQzvJNA&feature=Views&page=1&t=t&f=b

Replies

• Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    looks absolutely fantastic, i think wii will be the system for me to get my hands on when it's shipped ...
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    That looks hot.
    Hell, I'll get a Wii for that alone smile.gif
    Hopefully they will have more games with that level of quality.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i played it friday at e3, took the whole show for me, totally amazing, metroid was also great. the wii cleaned house, had a consistant 5 hour line on friday that wraped around the nintendo booth then wraped the entire length of the west hall, and started to curve back around to the entrances. mario really showed off how intuitive the controls were, in less than 30 seconds i knew how to do everything, there really wasnt a learning curve. if nintendo can get the thrid party to push the control system as much as they have then this next round is no contest.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I heard that Mario was the best Wii game, though. I heard that the other titles controller sort of crappy. They said the aiming was off, and that the control was either too sensitive or too stiff. With only 5-6 months until it launches, I hope they can tune the games up.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the only game i played that i was dissapointed in was red steel, they need to tweek the controls, they felt really off when it came to gun play, the sword play was far better but still need some tweeks, metroid on the other hand was fantastic.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Vassago: I've read that complaint about Metroid but the article got retracted when the writer found the sensitivity setting.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    hrm i am actually interested if you guys ( the one's who were there) have any opinions on the wii controller... is the system looking promising?

i am a little biased, because i love nintendo so the fact that it will be inferior to ps3 and xbox360 in terms of computing power doesnt phase me at all... but i'd like to hear what you guys project the future of wii in N.A. will be ..
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR - very cool.
    I'm still not interested in Metroid, but it's good to know that maybe they just had wonky settings on the games smile.gif
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    There is no way in hell I'd be waiting in that line, those people were nuts. :|
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    OMG....SOLD!

I wouldn't have waited in that line either. I can be patient for its release. The new Mario looks out of this world. Running on top of the boss...holy crap! Interesting how Nintendo gets all these crazy game ideas, and throws their popular characters into them. Mario Galaxy fits well with the fact he collects stars. The lighting on the surfaces looks fantastic. Nintendo makes lower processing look goooood. Ok...I'm getting all fanboy up in here.
    *fwap fwap fwap fwap*
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadows of the Wiiocalypse. I'll play it, but more important it just sold my wife on getting a Wiivolution, she can't wait to play it.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Weird, I didn't think it looked all that good, or fun. Am I missing something?
    The graphics were incredibly basic, and the gameplay seemed to be intensely monotonous.
    *shrug*
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Well as Nintendo would say, playing is believing.

PR crap aside, Mario is really not the world's best spectator game and has always had simple, monotonous controls. Where Mario shines is the level design, and a small little E3 demo is not the best example of that. Kind of like the "learn-every-control-in-the-game-in-two-minutes" Zelda demo.

I wasn't really excited about Galaxy, but the giant boss has got my attention now. I'm sure some bigger planets are on their way too.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    wasn't mario on its head when it exploded? ouch
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    The graphics were incredibly basic, and the gameplay seemed to be intensely monotonous.
    *shrug*

[/ QUOTE ]

Dito. I actually wasn't impressed with the graphics on any of the Wii games though, nor the gameplay really. I really don't get the craze over being able to jiggle your hand to make mario spin and such. :P
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like all the editors of ign all agree on nintendo as the best of show, the playastation guy was pretty pissed, and rightly so, sony really craped up the whole show.

http://media.games.ign.com/articles/693/693580/vid_1508128.html
  • cep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    *shrug*

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, looks to be a leap back in my mind.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    looks like all the editors of ign all agree on nintendo as the best of show, the playastation guy was pretty pissed, and rightly so, sony really craped up the whole show.

http://media.games.ign.com/articles/693/693580/vid_1508128.html

[/ QUOTE ]

is the video host really drunk/high/tired/sleepy ?
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my guess is that she is hung over as fuck and hasent slept since she got there, i looked like that friday, almost everybody did. and really its just something you have to play, if your lucky for more than 5 minutes, the controls take a bit to get use too, and i felt myself liking them the more i played, there was also a rush of awesome that shot down my spine when i thought of what could actually be done in games, the door puzzle in metroid is what triggered it.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    glad Im not the only one not impressed. I kept thinking, hey look its like those levels from ratchet and clank 2 or 3 with a mario mod. That said it looks interesting, probably fun, but not something I'd buy a new system for.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shaders look sweet in these videos, love how everything appears to be lit as though its being looked at through an electron microscope.

well ripping game ideas (like walking on bosses) is nothing new. Take a good idea and go with it. Yoshi's island was a giant rip off of Jellyboy, one of the only games to not get a release in Japan for the snes.

boo to all you who are not interested, you probably yawned at the release of mario64 too, even though it changed the face of gaming in 3d. This is only a tiny snippet of the game, and remember mario64 looked easy at first...
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually didn't much care for Mario 64, no. Just because it helped to advance the industry does not make it an enjoyable game.

And how exactly did it advance the industry? It wasn't the first 3d game or anything...?
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    how did Mario64 advance gaming? o.O

come on, who here did NOT run Mario around in cirlces for the first 20 minutes they got to play? using the joystick to tip toe, slow walk, walk, fast walk and finally run flat out? running in tight circles and spiralling into wider and wider circles? running up the hills and sliding down on your belly and butt? climbing trees up and down, up and down and hand-standing at the top? crawling around like a baby? jumping in any direction from whatever direction you were facing? who did not love that degree of control over movement? i dont think any other game gave you that feeling or even had that degree of freedom of movement before.

it was flat out FUN to just move Mario around the world.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    you probably yawned at the release of mario64 too, even though it changed the face of gaming in 3d

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain the latter, please?!
    If you're talking about changing the face of gaming in 3d, try Quake.
    And no, I didn't yawn at the release of Mario 64, it was more of a non-event to me, so it entirely passed me by without notice smile.gif
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    The gameplay looks in a word, shit. Running around on a sphere - YAY!

The lighting/shaders/w/e did look good but that doesn't make a game, see doom3. I really don't see how this will utilise the revolution controller, either.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    try "first 3d platformer with analogue joystick" on console. You have to remember that no console had one of these until that point.

quake3 doesnt count, becuase it was a PC game. (although I do have it for dreamcast)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I said Quake, not Quake 3. The very first Quake was a huge leap forward in 3D gaming.

"First 3D platformer with analogue joystick on console" really doesn't sound like something that changed the face of 3D gaming. Texture-mapped polygons did that. Then pixel shaders. It sounds more just like a logical progression of joystick control married with platforming if you ask me.

But anyway, this is all a derailment. I won't know how fun that new game is until it's released and I've played it. For now, I can see a multitude of other games that both look better visually, and seem to have more fun gameplay than this demonstration shows.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    This is all a bit Consoles vs PC, innit?

Looks great, I can't wait for it. As for visuals - both Lumines and Polarium look a bit muff and are both stonking games.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Third person views are slightly more common than first person views so making a platformer controllable (in a way that doesn't resemble Tomb Raider's tank control style) with a gamepad does a lot more than making an FPS playable with keyboard and mouse.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah I understand I sound a bit console biased, actually mop just threw a spanner into my cogs smile.gif

quake was the death of the amiga!!
  • Supervlieg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Supervlieg polycounter lvl 17
    I hope Galaxy does for 3d interfaces what Mario64 did for 3d games. That would be nice thankyouverymuch.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    To this day I think Super Mario 64 has the tightest control of any game I have ever played.

Comparing the influence of two huegely influential games seems pretty silly to me.

Super Mario Galaxy looks awesome. I can't wait to play it. That said, the gameplay shown looks very esy and I hope there is optional HARD content like in SM 64.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Good gravy, that looked like the line to 'Space Mountain'.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    It looks really simple and fun to play. I like the ques they took from Shadow of Colossus where you ride the boss to defeat it.
    I think the biggest thing that'll make this game fun (specially to newcomers) is how easy it seems to play. Just watching the video, I can already imagine the controls. You move the stick to move around and you press a button to jump. It can't get anymore simple than that.

Mario 64 was a huge game in that it revolutionized how a 3d platformer is played. After M64, gone are the days where a character was controlled by an 8-way D pad.

I still remember when I first got the game, my older brother and I spent about an hour just running outside of the castle trying out Mario's moves. Tip-toeing, walking, running... all in one smooth motion of the analog stick. That was crazy. There was nothing like it before.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    i think for the purposes of the demonstration, the levels were easy on purpose .. mario64 was pretty damn challenging in parts .. so you can expect this to be anything by a breezer
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    if it's anything like sunshine I'm not hugely interested.. I played that with a friend quite a lot, we took turns on the hard missions and tried to complete it.. but eventually I realised that I was only completing levels for the sake of completing them and not because I was actually having fun, and I gave up on it.

edit: specifically the 'collect all the coins' type missions were a total chore, I hope they cut that crap out
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    the zelda preview was only a demonstration. a small, simplified dungeon scene to show off the new controls. I'm guessing some of the mario scenes are the same. They really try to push how fun the controller will be with demos.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hated mario sunshine, played it once. Luigis mansion too. Those two games totally didn't exist as far as I'm concerned.
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like great fun to me

[ QUOTE ]
    "First 3D platformer with analogue joystick on console" really doesn't sound like something that changed the face of 3D gaming. Texture-mapped polygons did that. Then pixel shaders. It sounds more just like a logical progression of joystick control married with platforming if you ask me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I thought analogue control by default did a lot to change gaming. Just look at the level of control you get in games now, with twin analogue for console fps, and analogue triggers for perfect feathering of accelerator and break.

Texture mapping and shaders just make it more pretty.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    well, texture mapping vs no texture mapping is more than just decoration! I think youre right about the analog tech being the thing that changed the landscape rather than mario 64. If mario hadn't done it then its certain that another game of that era would have put two and two together
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Analog sticks didn't change a damn thing for me. Mouse and keyboard is still far more practical. laugh.gif

Also, texture mapping and shaders as well as any other increases in graphical technology can have a huge effect on game play, and have had just that over the years. Anyone who says graphics don't matter doesn't know what they are talking about.

(Without graphic increases we'd still be stuck at pong).
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    graphics don't matter
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    graphics don't matter

[/ QUOTE ]

That may have floated back in the era of NES/Genesis, but it doesn't hold anymore. Graphics these days are JUST AS important as gameplay. Both are needed for a great experience.

Would HalfLife2 have been as good if it was on the Halflife 1 engine? With no physics? I doubt it.
    The gameplay can only account for so much.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    physics aren't graphics. things like normal maps do not add to gameplay. they enhance the look of a game but they don't make it play better (in fact just the opposite with Doom3 wink.gif ). half-life 2 was textured using orange textures. if they left it with these it would still 'play' the same way.
    10.jpg
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My point still stands.
    Would the game have been as immersive if it were Sunkist orange? I don't think so.
    Hawken simply stated graphics don't matter. Not that they don't matter for 'gameplay'.
    Of course graphics don't affect gameplay. But the experience isn't the same without them.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So you are telling me that a game like Prince of Persia (The new ones) would have been fully playable with graphics still at the level of Pong?

Graphics, and technological advancements in graphics, all have heavy effects on gameplay.

On a side note, even the parts of graphics that do NOT effect gameplay, affect the game. Would a horror game seem in any way dark or scary if it was textured all in orange like that? It wouldn't, adn those the gameplay would be the exact same, the game itself would be extremely different.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Graphics matter only if the difference is HUGE. I don't think the difference is big enough here for the graphics to have much of an influence. This isn't an all-or-nothing situation, you don't have to decid between Pong and Unreal Tournament 2007, there's a lot of middle ground.

BTW, I don't think HL2 would have suffered much from lacking physics, all it'd need is a few objects you can throw around that do damage on impact. I've seen a brick launcher implemented in HL1 that did that.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The difference in immersion can be huge though. For some reason a lot of people in the game industry have a real problem with discounting the effect a truely immersive world can have. This doesn't nessesarily have to do with the technical part of graphics, but the art and environment in general.

Though of course, the art style and environment are made better even by small advances in technology. And small advances lead to larger advances as well. So even though normal mapping compared to no normal mapping may not make a huge difference now, down the road it has the chance to further evolve.

I actually find it kind of funny as well that so many artists refuse to believe that graphics matter when it is their job to make the graphics.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Immersive graphics aren't tied to computational power. I think it's tied more to meaningful level design, believable animations and consistent art direction. There is more to immersion than photorealism. Look at Wind Waker, most people would argue that its world seems a lot more alive than the latest and greatest FPS.

And keep in mind that we aren't talking about some horror game where immersion is vital to enjoyment, Mario has never been about immersion, it has been about great gameplay.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Immersion is always vital to enjoyment in my opinion. I don't read a book that doesn't immerse me, watch tv show, or a movie. Why would I play a game that doesn't immerse me?

At the same time no one said a damn thing about photo realism except you. Immersive graphics can be in any art style. At the same time, almost all art styles can be furthered by increases in graphics. Even 2d side scrollers. (Look at the new Earthworm Jim).

On a side note, Mario is very much about Immersion. Nintendo totes around it's policy of "Graphics don't matter" to appeal to that same self righteous part of people that makes them say "It's what's inside that counts" at the exact same time they are checkin out the hottie in the miniskirt. Why do you think nintendo has employed ARTISTS from the beggining, rather than techies. Miyamoto, Mario's very creater, was an artist long before a being a gamer. The visual aspects have always mattered. It's just that until relativly recently the technology hasn't really supported those graphics.