Home Technical Talk

normalmaps_max-realtime-view + quake4 nm question

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
rollin polycounter
Hoi there

first thing i´m fighting with, is the max dx-realtime stuff for normalmap preview.. is there an easy way to show even parts with mirrored uv´s right? (easier than "give the mirrored parts a new texture with fliped channel..) ?

if not .. is this trick with the 2nd texture the only workaround? (bc i´v seen a lot renders/realtime shots form models with mirrored uv´s .. like mr.rockstars general-arm)

the other question belongs to q4 (/doom3) what does this engine allows concerning normalmaps? is there e.g. uv-flipping allowed?

so far thx a lot smile.gif

Replies

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    max 8 does show mirrored normal maps correctly
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    ruz is right, but if you're stuck with max7 i don't think there is a way to avoid the ass-tastic realtime display of normal maps. You could maybe try Ben Cloward's normal map shader which might look a bit better with mirrored pieces.

Doom3 does allow uv-flipping but it works best if you render your normalmaps from doom3 normalbump renderer as opposed to any other program.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    thx for the infos!

so i stop messing around with max and go directly into the game

thx smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    xNormal's normalmaps don't look any worse than Doom 3 rendered ones, in fact I think they have less obvious seams.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That's even better news, then. Use xNormal! smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    xNormal is a lot easier to use since it neither requires a long arcane renderbump line in your material nor starting the game to render.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and its faster, also renders ambocc maps too YAY
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    [ QUOTE ]
    ruz is right, but if you're stuck with max7 i don't think there is a way to avoid the ass-tastic realtime display of normal maps.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think that's partially also thanks to the awesome metal bump instant-make-image-ugly shader which never stops to underwhelm.

on the subject of ass-tastic normal map display - i recently "upgraded" from max 7 to 7 SP1 and noticed that now very noticeable seams show up on every uv seam in rendered output. has this been discussed before, too? vanilla 7 has no such problems. yummy!
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    i looooove sp´s wink.gif but what should i say.. as long as they need a reason to develop max8 max 9 max10 maxwhatever

about xnormals.. loooooooveit smile.gif very nice viewer but nothing can beath this FAAAAAT Viewer-Musik laugh.gif 8)
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    i used max 8 for rendering, it fixes the mirroring issues.

if you want to stick a model into doom3 or quake4 best thing to do is use renderbump, i think the q4 one has support for objs. not only does it eliminate seams but it also looks correctly on animated models. I've tried using max and melody and came pretty close, make sure to stick the "unsmoothedtangents" tag into your material shader.

with those engines the way i usually work is get the normal maps out then throw the model into a test room and texture it while previewing directly in the game, occasionally hit reloadimages/reloadsurface to update the textures.