Home Technical Talk

Freelance work, how much?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Rekmar polycounter lvl 19
hello fellow polycounters,

ok I wasn't sure if this had to go here or in general discussion, it just seemed to me this forum is more fit as the general one is too generic

I'd like to start working with freelance 3D work, I guess it would be good before I can start thinking on a full-time job not to mention I can't relocate right now
ok I need to build a portfolio first, but anyway

I want to do 3D character modelling and texturing. So, let's imagine someone wants to hire me for my services. How much money is it reasonable to get paid? I guess payment should be done per model and/or texture, so how much is it reasonable for a single textured model, provided that I get concept art to build it off from? how about untextured, rigged, etc?

I know all prices must be negotiated with whatever company is hiring, some might be willing to pay more/less than others, I just want to know a good parameter as a base

thanks

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Just think about dollars per hour. Guesstimate your hours and then get your price.

Think 20-25 bucks an hour
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Well it depends if you are trying to live off this and how difficult and unpleasnat the job is. Generally people who want to make a profit will charge 20hr minimum and they estimate how much it will take them to do. So if by some miracle for example you get a project to model a character and it takes you 20 hrs to model and texture it then 20 x 20 equals 400 bucks. If the client dies from a stroke you might want to consider getting other clients. wink.gif I have a friend in Florida and his boss hired an animator that charged 100 bucks an hr and the guy was useless. They kept him for about 3 months then canned him... If charging money sort of makes you feel bad then keep this in mind, in my last graphic design job the paper charged 100 bucks for a tiny ad in the classifieds and they generally took like 10 to 15 min. to make. Good luck.

Alex