Home General Discussion

Pet peeves?

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    if youre not a real black unless you speak ebonics...

my pet peeve: almost anything that has to do with race
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    lol Pak, I don't like eating off dark coloured plates/bowls.

Oh and:

"Beyonce Knowles - Check on it"
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I suppose the katakana invasion is like the unnecessary anglicisms in other languages. Marketers love to hide mundane words behind fancy language, preferrably foreign so everyone thinks "cool". France has pretty extreme measures but looking at what happens to other languages it seems reasonable.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    people afraid of change
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    People who think it's ok to come up and put their greasy paws all over my monitor. It's gotten to the point where I keep a bottle of glass cleaner right next to it and when an offending finger gets too close I reach for it like a gunslinger.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    when im painting with my wacom and my cat jumps on me to get attention and breaks my concdentration and the texture...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    -drinking any translucent liquid out of an opaque glass.

-drinking opaque liquids out of a translucent glass (except milk, and orange juice)

[/ QUOTE ]

Eeeeenteresting...
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Speech: Ghetto-speak ebonics. You wonder why you can't get out of the ghetto? You aren't oppressed, you just can't speak your damn native language properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

The solution to poverty is proper grammar? I don't think so.
  • LAGtheNoggin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LAGtheNoggin polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Speech: Ghetto-speak ebonics. You wonder why you can't get out of the ghetto? You aren't oppressed, you just can't speak your damn native language properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

The solution to poverty is proper grammar? I don't think so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Worked in Dickens.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I should really reword my peeve, Any one who doesn't take the time to annunciate their words.

[/ QUOTE ]

an·nun·ci·ate
    To announce; proclaim.

e·nun·ci·ate
    To pronounce; articulate.

so neo-god, do you like proper enunciation or do you wish people would speak louder? laugh.gif

and yes i guess that's one of my pet peeves. word misuse. mean what you say and say what you mean.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Men with lesbian haircuts.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    People who work discussions about MySpace into casual conversation.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    The line between pet peeves and outright insanity appears to be pretty slim with the people on this board.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    -drastic surprising emotionally-affecting site changes
    -cereal that sucks
    -piracy among doom and quake multiplayer communities
    -scrimmers and commercialized pro gaming
    -ytmnd
    -emos, furries and otakus (okay, thats more like a hate)
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    oh, people who like cats and not forgetting over-religious people or religious people end-of really, especially athletes.. "I'm here because god wanted me to be here, he has written my life and we'll see how it goes", etc..
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    this is your 5th post in this thread, thnom--you're a rather peeved person i take it? laugh.gif
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    people who own cats is a pet peeve? wtf?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I thought of one more, when a guy I work beside taps his foot to music and all i get are the vibrations through the desk and floor.. for some reason that really gets my goat
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    Hair touching my forehead
    Barbers talking to me. This is the main reason I avoid haircuts.
    Saying "loose," instead of "lose."
    99.9% of online arguments
    Responding to every possible question with "Your mom," "Yo' momma," or maybe even "yo' face."
    The worst singer of all fucking time telling me they sing better than me.
    The worst singer of all fucking time making useless comments over instant messenger. Usually shitty lyrics.
    Pronouncing "milk," as "MELK." I don't care what you say. That's wrong.

I'm sure there's more I just can't think of...

Love the ones about transparent liquid in opaque glasses and opaque liquid in transparent glasses.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    i like cats.... frown.gif
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Whoa, I seemed to have somehow overlooked an awful lot of incredibly insensitive, offensive, and just plain old stupid posts in this topic. I’m no expert but let me try to explain.
    Ebonics is just leftovers of Pidgin English that the slaves were taught with a silly label slapped on it. It was illegal to teach blacks to read for most of US history and they only received the most laughable ‘basic’ education (still a problem).
    I’ll just note that I am very offended by the idea that having a decent education somehow makes me less black as if black and ignorance were synonymous.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    Kids that are encouraged by an adult to throw litter out of a car window. "ERE, chuck that oot window, ahm not avin that rollin around int back o my fookin car". It's just ... christ ... of all the things in the world, this is the most incomprehensible to me, and something absolutely guaranteed to make me utterly apoplectic ... just light me and send me charging at the barbarian lines ... good god, i'm hitting the keys too hard just typing this.

there's nothing else to be done. Throw the parents off a cliff. And, frankly, bundle the kid up in a blanket and chuck it off too. There's no saving it. It will grow into nothing but an angry, hateful sociopath, probably a rapist, murderer or paedophile. The parents may as well spend the kids formative years teaching it to inject bleach or piss into its grandmothers eyes, it amounts to the same thing. Cunts. The world is awash with absolute rampaging CUNTS.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Hmm, time to have more sex people:)
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    no it isn't, it's time to go to work.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    and a lunchtime one :

anywhere that creates an elaborate sandwich for show, and doesn't give a stuff about the poor bastard who has to try to pick it up and eat it
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I hate lifts that tell me which floor I am on. now arriving at ...damnit i can read!!
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    ruz - ever seen those blokes out on the street with the cool shades and the labradors? Awwwww, aren't they just so cute?
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spider2cool polycounter lvl 18
    hmm...Mullets, definatly.
    also people who shine there bald head. wtf.
    racist black guys that hate racists and refuse to call a chalk board a blackboard and refuse to eat at the resturant "Crackerberral" because of the work cracker...i know a guy like that.
    when my wife insists on sleeping on MY side of the bed! why, its "MY" side!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    racist black guys that hate racists

[/ QUOTE ]

Um ya. What are they thinking hating racists?

Can't help but feel we should be leaving race out of this thread from now on. I would define 'pet peeves' as minor annoyances. Like people who invade your personal space when talking to you. Race as a subject matter doesn't feel appropriate to me in here.

I hate that If ever my rent is a day late, my landlord calls me up in a shot, but If there's anything ever wrong with this dump, he's conveniently the hardest man in the world to track down.
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok...let me rephrase that. racist black guys thinking every white guy is a racist and can not see there own racism...ok that is the last i will say about that.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    PEOPLE EATING NEAR ME especially if it's retardedly crispy
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i have to agree with the sagging pants thing mentioned earlier.

know-it-alls

Bling and the term "Bling".

new words and phrases like "ba-dunk-a-dunk", "skeet", "shake that laffy taffy". those things sound so stupid when they are introduced to the general public and are procalmed stupid by the people who use those words and phrases the most if they are heard 6+ months after their creation.

really long and hard to fallow pet peeves. =
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    -emos, furries and otakus (okay, thats more like a hate)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's cool, I hate hypocrites.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    generic action hero protagonists in games..

(character has several days worth of stubble, the only emotion the character displays through voice acting is anger and they always have to have these chiselled model looks)

zoolander.jpg
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hard corn taco shells. You bite into one and it disintegrates into clumps of falling debris that you hastily try to grab with your lips waggling like a horse. It's a frustrating conundrum because the crunchy texture and taste of the shell just naturally and pleasingly counterbalances the softer vegetable, meat, cheese and sauce matter. I'd go with a tostada but you just can't bolt it down like you can with finger food. A burrito + nachos is the next best thing.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Learn to love the Döner then, no worrying about Taco shells.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do like Döners (gyros here) but there's just something about the crunchy deep fried corn that makes the hand meal for me.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    The drivers in the town I live in.

The dude who drives a circuit of my apartment complex on weekend nights slamming his bass in a sad attempt to attract a mate and assert territory.

Computer crashes.

How art museum staff thinks you are a terrorist if you carry around a sketchpad and a pencil.

People who incorrectly correct someone's grammar on a Gamespot forum: "You shouldn't use 'your', you say you're if its something that belongs to you". Heh heh heh.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    b1ll
    non closure game endings
    recycled media content and lack of new story/characters (i'm sick of the billion horrer movies with little girls, sick of the emo looking super heros)

And paying 8$ a day for parking.

Weiser_Cain:

Yes i do think 'Crunk', 'hollah at ya boyz', and 'fo shizzle', are all left over from that time period and the direct result of the lack of teaching. Please guy, we have modern schools that teach real english now, and people are still choosing to speak like toddlers.

Spider2Cool

The word is hippacrit. If I spelled it right.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    people who expect respect when they don't show any.

when my grandpa keeps saying how i should join the air force when i've told him hundreds of times i dont want to.

emos, scene kids, collar poppers.

people who don't act like themselves, they act like who they think people want them to be.

alcoholics, druggies, people who live to party and fuck.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    People who punctuate with their typing.

Such as ending a sentence with a big TAP of the last key. HATE IT.
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

The word is hippacrit. If I spelled it right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it's spelled "hypocrite."
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    'Such as ending a sentence with a big TAP of the last key. HATE IT. '

I thoroughly hate this too. I had a a producer sitting behind me in one project and i could feel the venom coming out of his keyboard.
    He had one of those really loud keyboards also

I also hate people who think its ok to let their headphones leak noise so we can hear it 30 feet away.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    @Downsizer
    That is slang, which is an entirely different kettle of fish from 'ebonics'. That is about identifying yourself as a member of a certain group (420?), disguising what your saying so that you can say inapropriate things in general public (skeet). It has to constantly be made up and remade because if everybody knows what you’re talking about it defeats the purpose, I still don’t know what krunk is?
    It a little annoying (peeve) that ‘ebonics’ is singled out as at least half the south speaks a dialect so similar that I had to look up the fact that there’s a slight difference between the two dialects.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    as much as i am loathe to agree with weiser (heehee), the myth that ebonics or black english dialects are not "proper" forms of english is really kind of insulting. they have a codified form useage and follow grammar rules the same as any dialect--linguicists have compared it to a variety of dialects in different languages. while they may not follow standard english grammar construction, they still follow rules and very clearly belong as their own dialect, just as the wonderful myriad forms of british english or southern english or what have you.

and as far as slang goes, sure, some of its annoying... but hip hop culture does provide a fresh influx of new slang or interesting new useage. we've all been leeching off of black culture for a very long time.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Some white guys wrote some books that described how rich white people wrote and spoke and so now that's "proper engish"? Seems kind of stupid to me.

On the other hand, I live around a lot of black folks, and once lived in an apartment where they would congregate in the parking lot outside my window. I heard them speak for probably hundreds of hours, and I came to the conclusion that as language it is a confusing and unexpressive way of communicating. Some of the most common phrases in ebonics seemed to me: "what you say?", and "say what?". Whole sentences are replaced by play-acting and sound effects. Maybe this gives a more visceral experience of the story being recounted but seems to provide far less information.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Some white guys wrote some books that described how rich white people wrote and spoke and so now that's "proper engish"? Seems kind of stupid to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

"proper english" is speaking clearly and without accent, sometimes called "the queen's english". it's what is taught to people attempting to learn the language, and what is used as the basis for phonetic spelling. so no, rich white guys telling you how to speak english correctly isn't "stupid".
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    So what English is without accent? They certainly don't teach "the Queen's English" in the states. Proper word usage and pronouciation in the US is codified by the Merriam-Webster dictionary (A book written by a rich white person). If, I'm not mistaken, English in England is codified by the Oxford English dictionary (A whole pack of rich white folks)

Not only that but the so called Queens English seems to me to have all sorts of non-phonentic accents in it.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    Mr Cain you right. Did some more research, and you are correct. I had the wrong idea.

Crunk or Krunk means Crazy Drunk as I was told one night by an african american hooker outside a goth club. I think she was describing me or my friends.