Home General Discussion

Pet peeves?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
We've all got em!

Mine? When someone is talking to me about a family member and refers to them as if *I* know them like they do. For example, a friend coudl tell me a story about their mother and start it off, "Mom went to the store this morning and bought some milk...". Don't start it with Mom! She's not MY mother so don't say it like she is! Argh that annoys the piss out of me. "My mother went to the store..." is muuuuuuch better.

Another peeve, which I mentioned in another thread, is people pronouncing the word niche as "nitch". Drives me up the wall.

You?

Replies

• Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
  • DeathKitten
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathKitten polycounter lvl 18
    ok... when the americans think they pwn and decide to call football 'soccer' and pronounce zed 'zee' and spell colour 'color' and armour 'armor'

LAZY!! laugh.gif
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    too many to list. Mostly centering around ugly, shrill people who seem to revel in being as thick as possible. Though i have to say, i've also never been keen on people moaning about Americans calling football soccer when soccer is very much a british term (short for Association Football)
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    The idea that America is in some way just an extension of Europe and therefore has to conform to their way of thinking and doing things.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    when people say axe instead of ask

when people say brought instead of bought

hotkeys for applications should have some kinda ISO

apart from that, not much else. I don't give a toss about misspelling or grammar on the net and couldn't give a flying fuck about who makes what new words etc. In fact I hope I lose all english ability within about 5 years time.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    OMG u cn reed th1s, stop cmplaining.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    people who complain about things too much smile.gif
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    the word "peeve"

...oh, and the arrogance of humanity
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'd say people who are pedantic about spoken language, spelling, grammar... half of you lot, it would seem. Especially irritating are people on the forums I moderate taking an entire post to tell someone they slightly misspelt something. Grr.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    when people write loose instaid of lose, because it throws me off the point of their sentence and I have to read it again before it makes sense.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think as language is developing (it always is), loose might become lose. lose looks too much like "lowse" which isn't a word at all. "loose" really does look how it sounds. Maybe "luse" can replace loose? as in fuse but not as in booze.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    maybe so.. but if that were to happen with every word that isn't spelled phonetically then I shudder to think what the language will end up as. It wil rezembel txt speek!
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Regional accents. I always think of someone as being "stupid" when I hear them...

Maybe that's not a pet peeve but me being really judgemental laugh.gif
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    "Reverse"-racism and the term, its all racism. Japan. People who think all brits sound cockney. Political Correctness. The NFL taking players more athletic when they lack the basic instincts needed. The word 'mom'. American accents. The word anime somehow pronunced anim
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    if language is developing which i agree it should, do you really want us to sit by and watch it develop to a point where sentences plainly contradict themselves?

"I could care less" idly used in place of "i couldn't care less". One being the total opposite of the other but used to mean the same thing. MNAAARGH.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr: Even worse: "Literally" can now mean "literally" or the exact opposite, depending on how the writer feels at the time.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I take literally to mean "almost" and "did beyond belief", hasn't this always been the case?
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Literally and literally - the same spelling just capitalisation? I didn't realise there was a different. Literally as in "exactly" or close enough "He's literally cut off all his hair!"

Looking back I agree with hawkens meanings..
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I take literally to mean "almost" and "did beyond belief", hasn't this always been the case?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tought it means "word by word" or exactly to make it little clearer.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    - People who complain and do nothing about it
    - Politcal extremists
    - Religous extremists
    - American society, hell-bent on 'looking' perfect
    - Paris Hilton
    - Fast Food Restaurants (get in the god damn kitchen!)
    - High pitched, whiny voices
    - People with OCD
    - America sticking it's nose in other's business
    - America helping other countries before helping itself
    - Illegal Immigrants
    - People who take advantage of our Welfare system
    - Refugees (many get 7+ years in U.S without being taxed, and they get finincial support from government)

Uhh, I'm sure there are more. I'll leave space for others smile.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    if you say someones head literally exploded, it means that actually their head really did explode. Theres a private eye book of quotes out where all sorts of sports presenters misuse the term to comedic effect.

edit: I think the word that describes your meanings hawken is 'practically'
    edit2: yeah kdrs probably comes closer
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Literally means "just as it's written, no metaphor here". The opposite is obviously "figuratively", which is what many people mewan when they write "literally" these days.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Cell Phones and the people who use them.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't like ebonics?
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    People who don't like people who use cell phones that have the online alias Luxury.
    Hahaha
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People who call mobile phones, "cell phones" including most americans. Never understood the logic - its mobile hence the name. Its a cell? wtf..
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People who call mobile phones, "cell phones" including most americans. Never understood the logic - its mobile hence the name. Its a cell? wtf..

[/ QUOTE ]

It's Cellular hence the name, Cell. They use a cellular network. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_network

poop.gif
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't like ebonics?

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I hate ebonics when someone is seriously using it, but in a jokingly tone it's fun, and just because I hate ebonics doesn't mean I hate black people, I know plenty of black folk who do not speak in ebonics.

though I think one of my biggest pet peeves is if someone pats me on the head ,I also hate being patronized.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    if you say someones head literally exploded, it means that actually their head really did explode. Theres a private eye book of quotes out where all sorts of sports presenters misuse the term to comedic effect.

[/ QUOTE ]

the dictionary gives both meanings. Apparently the word has been used to convey either or, depending on the context, for over a hundred years. As the changing English language, this is a good example. Even if is wrong, it's right.

I have one to add to my list: katakana.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really? The last time I looked that up the dictionary called that a recent, incorrect usage.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    My pet peeve is lip service - and not the fun kind.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Internet: Punctuations' where they are'nt needed's.

Style: Men showing their asses when they wear their pants around their knees while trying to look tough. (sagging) When I was a youth, this meant that you were homosexual. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Speech: Ghetto-speak ebonics. You wonder why you can't get out of the ghetto? You aren't oppressed, you just can't speak your damn native language properly.

Life: People who whine about how bad they've got it, but live in a nice house, aren't starving and are at no risk of being killed in a genocide, and are unwilling to get off their ass and do something to earn their unfairly gifted status as part of the world's wealthiest top five percent of humankind.

Oh, and Paris Hilton.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    What's your problem with katakana? Personaly I hate kanji meaning five diffrent things.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    People buying shit they can't afford so they can pretend they have more money than they do. No retard, it doesn't make you look cool. It makes you look stupid, insecure and irresponsible.

[edit]
    Add to that people who buy shit they don't need/never will use, so that they think they can look cool-- even if they can afford it.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    pet peeves = lol
    We no longer have to trim our dialogue down so that it is sent faster through our 14.4 modems. Get with the f'ing program and just laugh to yourself, and don't bother telling us about it.

omg4real
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Emo. Emo everything is a huge peeve of mine.

And yea, people misusing English. It's not so bad in most cases, but when people start using net talk too much it drives me insane.

Oh, and as Ryno said, guys wearing their pants around their knees. Esspecially when they're wearing a belt while doing it.

And still Bush.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    The term sci-fi in regaurds to telling you what type of movie something is. All sci-fi's are really just other catagorys but in some hightech world. 2001 is a drama and starwars in an action adventure they are nothing alike yet both are called sci-fi...
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    And yea, people misusing English.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I consider a lot of "american" mis-use.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    -Small forks and spoons (unless with icecream)

-drinking any translucent liquid out of an opague glass.

-drinking opague liquids out of a translucent glass (except milk, and orange juice)

-wet towels that are folded not drapped

-unshaved women

-make-up

-high-beams on the highway behind me and from oncomming traffic. Especially on an unlit road.

-unecessary use of complicated language

If I think of more I'll edit.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    neo-God: So basically you only like white washed blacks.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    People informing me that I have 'an accent'.

1) I know.
    2) Doesn't everybody?
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    people with bad BO that breath on my arm while watching my monitor in class
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    Daz I had a conversation about that with a linguist. I guess proper not accented english is considerd what is used for the news like CNN , Local News ..etc etc in America . You speak the queens english and Americans love the accent for the most part so don't take offense :-) I had a GF from brazil once and I loved to listen to her talk !
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hence why nearly all national newscasters are from the midwest.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    People informing me that I have 'an accent'.

1) I know.
    2) Doesn't everybody?

[/ QUOTE ]Its worse when people from your own country start telling you that you've got an accent.

[ QUOTE ]
    My pet peeve is lip service - and not the fun kind.

[/ QUOTE ]Is anything that like fan sevice?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Its worse when people from your own country start telling you that you've got an accent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry, I get that too when I'm there.

Here's one: people that call me up on the telephone and then don't really say anything. WTF.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RE: Weiser_Cain

katakana is nonsense. A phonetic language used to represent a non phonetic language. Often Japanese people have a hard time with the international community because they learned English in this manner. Also it makes reading Japanese a pain in the ass... reading and then re-reading words over and over to try and figure out what the hell they mean. All other Asian countries just write English words in the Roman alphabet. Japan has the lowest English ability in Asia.

Also Katakana is used when perfectly decent Japanese words exist, for movie titles, nearly every product on TV commercials, daft names for cars and new ideas / marketing techniques.

It took me about a week to realise "tekisuto" means text.
    "arerugi" means Allergy.
    "stadio" means Studio.
    "ribarari" means Library. But then it got shortened to "ribara".
    "irasuto" means illustration... shortening is the most difficult part, trying to figure out where the word came from. When shortened words are jammed together the process gets worse, and it's common. "su-fami-ota" means "Super Famicom Otaku"

Once a nonsense katakana word enters the Japanese language, it's hard to remove it, even when perfectly sensible words exist in Kanji - and then after time the katakana words get warped, changed, shortened. No-one remembers what they meant in the first place.

Kanji on the other hand makes a lot of sense, due to it's highly logical order, bordering on what I would imagine spock to write! Each Kanji has two ways of reading: "on" and "kun". These readings can often have more than one pronounciation, however often only one meaning is attributed to each kanji. It's when they are joined with other kanji, the meaning changes. As Japanese has no spaces, sometimes it's hard to know how to read it.

A good example of this joining process is the kanji for electricity: "Den".

"Den"+"shi" = electronics
    "den"+"ki" = light/electric
    "den"+"sha" = train

Kanji is so expandable that literally any kanji can be co-joined to make new words, for medicine and science, that it makes me puzzeled as to why the practice of cherry picking English words in thier place is taking place.

I like Paris Hilton. I didn't at first, but these days I think shes hot.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    neo-God: So basically you only like white washed blacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You bet! I only associate with Oreos and Uncle Toms! Seriously though...I'm not in the mood for a race discussion. I should really reword my peeve, Any one who doesn't take the time to annunciate their words.