Home General Discussion

Save Palladium

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
bearkub polycounter lvl 18
http://forums.palladium-megaverse.com/viewtopic.php?t=57048

Figured some of you might have been familiar with these guys and may want to help them out.

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Palladium? Isn't that the TCPA module MS planned but later renamed?
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    Man, that sucks.

I still have the Ninja Turtles rule book somewhere.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    What exactly is Palladium? I've heard the name before, but can't remember where...
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    Palladium is an old school RPG company founded by artist Kevin Siembieda way back in the late 70s or very early 80s. Kevin and I did work for Judges Guild around the same time. His real success came when he recognized that the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were likely to be something and was their very first licensee with the Turtles RPG. Kevin built that company on the strength of the Turtles and the licensed Robotech RPG.

I'm sorry to hear that Palladium is in such dire straits ... but not necessarily surprised. The "slump" that Kevin suggests for the RPG biz is in fact it's slow lingering death. The RPG biz essentially died about 10 years ago and has just been malingering, a shadow of it's former self.

But what really surprises me is that a smart guy like Kevin couldn't see past the hype of the N-Gage and see a product that wasn't going to go anywhere. C'mon ... a phone that is engineered in such a way that you have to remove the battery pack to change a game cartridge? Who couldn't see that as a flop in the making?

If you're a fan of Palladium, support the cause. But realistically, it may just be that it's time for Palladium to join TSR, GDW, FASA (which, in the process of becoming an MGS studio brand, died as an RPG company), West End Games and many others in RPG publishing heaven.
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    Ive heard nothing but bad things about Kevin. Everything from just being an egostistical a-hole to not paying artists and writers for there work that has been published . A smart buisness man would have transended and evolved his buisness, but ive talked to many artists whom have done work for Palladium and been burnt and that is no way to do buisness . Maybe this is his just due . For the record I played Rifts as a kid and it's my all time favorite RPG im not saying he's not a good game designer . I'll tell you what a smart guy would have made Rifts into a MMPRPG that is a great universe for that genre .

So all of the younger generation nerds are doing what these days ? Not playing RPG's ? I guess video games are killing everything from comic books to RPG's ?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Jackson Games seems to do very well despite having numerous RPGs and RPG-like games. It seems the key to success lies in diversification.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    C'mon ... a phone that is engineered in such a way that you have to remove the battery pack to change a game cartridge?

[/ QUOTE ]It amuses me that people still harp on about this and the side talking business veen several years after the mach 2 NGage fixed both of this problems. A lack of decent marketing on Nokia's part I guess.

Which perhaps is the problem with the old pen and paper RPG. Theres no real public awareness. No one saying "Hey kids, come play Dungeons and Dragons. Its like your video games but you have total freedom to do whatever the hell you want no matter how, nefarious, weird or downright insane. Someone needs to drive the P&P game back into the public eye on the back of a CRPG. Hell, nows the perfect time with Oblivion being the most popular XBox 360 game. Release Elder Scrolls P&P, market the hell out of it and watch the old school RPGs get a another chance.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Blizzard tried that didn't they? I think I remember a Warcraft P&P not long ago...
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    there is a World of Warcraft rpg based on the D&D 3rd edition rules.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    It's too bad they are going under...I spent hours I should have probly been doing homework playing the Robotech RPG, TMNT after the bomb, and Rifts.

Long live Glitterboys
    Glitterboy.JPG
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jackablade ... I just did a search for N Gage 2. First thing I noticed was no USA website ... which probably the reason that Siembieda is so upset ... (no US market to sell a game IP that would be mostly known to US game buyers) ... and why N-Gage disappeared off my personal radar after the initial marketing debacle.

My professional career began with P&P RPGs and could have ended with them had I not switched industries (again) when I joined id back in '97. The paper games had their hey day in the early 80s, primarily due to the tragedy of Dallas Egberts self-engineer disappearance from the Michigan State campus in 1979. I know that TSR (original publishers of Dungeons & Dragons) tried continually to bring young, pre-teen gamers into the market. I think they ultimately failed because RPGs are not a children's product. Children are NATURAL role-players. They don't need dice or rules to enjoy rich play experiences. Whatever changes adolescence cause also seem to bring about a need for rule-based play ... possibly because rules mean "game" an more or less self-acceptable term, whereas "play" (without rules) suggests childishness and immaturity. A developmental psych person probably could explain this much better ... but the point is kids don't need RPG rules to have fun ... but teens and up do.

In the early 90s, computer game experiences were still too crude to fully replace the RPG experience. What likely killed RPGs was not CRPGs, but collectible card games. They were a fad (like D&D in the early 80s) that brought vast amounts of cash into the industry, but pretty much only to Wizards of the Coast. It grew the industry, sure, but it was more of a zero sum situation ... money that was going into card collections was being taken away from RPG companies. GDW, TSR, FASA, West End, and numerous other "larger" publishers faded, died, or were subsumed into other companies (FASA at least was able to survive as a studio brand ... TSR was engulfed whole and their corporate branding died to be replaced by the brand of their primary IP).

P&P RPGs are not likely to resurge. It requires a lot of effort on the part of the players to have a good experience ... just learning the rules can be a daunting process, let alone designing or running game content. Like dinosaurs in the world of mammals, they will continue to exist, but with a much smaller presence. Their ecological niche in the entertainment world has been replaced by the MMORPG which provides a SIMILAR (but not the same) play experience. Perhaps, as technology develops, MMORPGs may provide the same opportunities for accessible user-made and run content. But for now, their success doesn't require it.

Steve Jackson games is a survivor because they can still thrive and do business within a reduced market. Go Steve!

The worst thing I've ever heard about Kevin is that it's not a good thing to both be his friend and be in a business relationship with him. It happened to me and while I think we remained at least friends in passing, I never worked or wanted to work for Palladium again. In my situation (back around 1989-90), he had the corporate lawyer write me regarding the late status of a design of a Turtles project I had fallen behind on (combo of bad health and overcommitment at the time) rather than contacting me directly to resolve the situation. It was a typical lawyer letter that bordered on the unpleasant and made vague threats applied in a situation where contact from a friend was have gained the same result with no bad feelings on my part. I made it a point not to deal with clients whose business practices annoyed me (a relatively short list which also included both Steve Jackson Games and Avalon Hill).
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ive heard nothing but bad things about Kevin. Everything from just being an egostistical a-hole

[/ QUOTE ]

I was all fired up to be sympathetic about this, remembering my TMNT days with an almost painful fondness, until I noticed he used the word "treachery" four times in an 11,000 word post. Maybe I'm not showing great psychological insight so much as I'm being elitist and nitpicky, but he sounds a tad insanely paranoid to me.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Children are NATURAL role-players. They don't need dice or rules to enjoy rich play experiences. Whatever changes adolescence cause also seem to bring about a need for rule-based play ... possibly because rules mean "game" an more or less self-acceptable term, whereas "play" (without rules) suggests childishness and immaturity. A developmental psych person probably could explain this much better ... but the point is kids don't need RPG rules to have fun ... but teens and up do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without rules you can't have any real victory or loss. Children, especially when playing against each other, love to change the rules to prevent themselves from losing. You need a consistent ruleset so people don't suddently claim they have armor implanted under their skin when someone else lands a fatal hit.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not much different to what happens in a typical game of D&D in my experience.

[ QUOTE ]
    jackablade ... I just did a search for N Gage 2. First thing I noticed was no USA website ...

[/ QUOTE ]The redesigned N-Gage, called the QD, is the only one supported these days and is what the main N-Gage.com website deals with. Not that it really matters. The only reason I care at all is I've got a game (Payload) coming out on the console in the next month or so.

Anyway back on topic, I don't think theres any reason why a new P&P fad couldn't be generated with some clever marketing. Perhaps an audio-visual componant needs to be introduced, at least to begin with. Something that will Decrease the contrast between the video game and the P&P RPG for a start to coax the impressionable youths over. A nice simple, intuitive ruleset would also be necessary - somethign you can more or less pick up an play after a couple of minutes of reading the rules/somone explaining. Once they've got a bunch of kids interested again it shouldn't be too hard a task to show them all the other possible RPGs out there that they could be trying out.

It probably won't ever get back to the level of its hey-day but I don't see any real reason why, with perhaps a bit of rethinking of the workings, P&P couldn't do well enough for these companies not to disappear of fthe map.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Paul, what books where you involved with? I now want to dig through my TMNT RPG pile to see if I come up with some of your work. smile.gif

Damn though. Rifts owned, and this past year I bought the new version of After the Bomb (it was reformatted to be a stand alone game - which it rocks.. [I think I might be a in the closet furry]).

Anyhow.. Cant they come out with a virtual machine to run the Rifts Nokia game on a PC? I would still buy it even if it was low rez.
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was supposed to write a TMNT game source book based in Central America. I had proposed the product and gotten the contract to write it. Repeating bouts of Pneumonia, editing assignments for TSR, and the continual attention that my LotR work for Interplay required kept backburnering the Palladium book. If it came out, it was by a different author than me.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Cant they come out with a virtual machine to run the Rifts Nokia game on a PC?

[/ QUOTE ]Theres a Symbian emulator available that plays NGage games very nicely on the PC.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I used to love playing rifts from the books with my friends. Sounds gay but I was a glitterboy. If that makes any sense.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    If it came out, it was by a different author than me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Err.. It did (if you meant the After the Bomb TMNT extension).. Kevin stabbed you again. frown.gif

If its any consolation, it wasn't as engaging as the others.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    If they released an art book with every drawing ever printed i'm sure they could easily make some of that back. God knows how many polycounters or conceptart.org folks would be in for that. I'd gladly pay 75-100 bucks for that.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Working in the same P&P INdustry as Paul during the same time period, I would have to agree with his assessment, especially the Collectibl cards killing the P&P game market starting in 1993, when WOTC released Magic The Gathering at San Francisco World Con. All the money left the traditional P&P publishers, and led to an unfortunate re-organization of the industry, and finally obsolescence.

P&P existed in a fluke of time from the early 70's until, I'd say about 1996 orr 1998, when computer processing and the ease of use of the internet killed it. P&P RPG's existed in that historical cusp where there was a lot of leisure time, but no technological network, and a time of expensive telephone service. RPG's were never a "kids" game, because it involved too much math, and required imagination borne of some life experience, or at least research. So it became the passtime of the cerebral, and unathletic, but still social.

Now adays, none of the young have the patience, for the slow pace of P&P RPG's, and it's not going to come back. Great source of IP and ideas, but as a passtime it's gone.

Scott
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oxynary: I think it was this product from the After the Bomb series ... Mutants of the Yucatan. It's been too long for me to remember exact details. 511.jpg

Echoing Scott ... I think most of today's P&P role players are either guys in their 30s and 40s (and older) or perhaps their children. I know my son (early 20s now) has still been getting together with his college buddies (just like I did nearly 30 years ago) to play ... but it has been slowly winding down. One of my co-workers ... designer Sandy Petersen ... regularly runs an RPG campaign ... but most of his players are late 30s through early 50s in age.

It is my belief that the style of play of the P&P RPG will come back as software RPGs become easier to mod.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Well, Paul, there are things like http://www.realityfault.org Where they do text based RPG's with a GM, a Random Number Generator, a published or homebrew rule set as is the preference of the GM, and players from all over the world. It's sort of an IRC server with some MUD trappings in terms of Hotkey based commands and canned descriptions, but apparently it works well enough that it gets some traffic.

I suppose one could do something of the sort on "Second Life" as well, if you felt productive.

But then what would be the GM's goals? How much control? how to handle the Dice question? Right towards the end of the era, there were all sorts of interesting stylistic arguements going on in rec.games.frp.advocacy, but then who reads newsgroups any more? :-) They keep trying to revive P&P RPG's with more and more abstracted, and "Cinematic or Storytelling" systems, which with my worship of realism and verisimilitude, rubbed me the wrong way, but other folks have liked Dogs in the Vinyards, and other goodies.

Scott

Scott