Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anyone got any WD-40?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Wrath polycounter lvl 18
So it's been almost a year since I've really done anything in Max, and over 4 years since I've done any animation. Talk about being rusty. I dusted off this model of Harley I did a while back and set about putting a biped in and rigging her.
HarleyQuinnPosed.jpg
It took me roughly a day and a half to physique her, but then had some kind of glitchy thing going on with physique that caused it to get trashed everytime I reloaded the scene. So I dumped it and used skin insead...which I'm happy to say, was much easier and quicker to set up.

Now I'm in the process of trying to get my animation legs back under me, as well as re-acclimate myself to working in Max...which is pretty daunting as its a couple of versions ahead of me now.

Anyhow, just wanted to throw this up, because I'm really happy with the way it turned out and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy just looking at her. smile.gif

Replies

• steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe this makes me reminisce of the silver age of polycount..
    Looks like its a much higher polycount version of the one we saw, or is it the same one?
    Cheapalert -> Gargoyles
    KDR_11k -> anime girls
    BobotheSeal -> Characters with big bellies
    Irritant -> Martians
    Hawken -> 2D asian babes
    Wrath -> Harlequin tongue.gif
  • Wrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wrath polycounter lvl 18
    It's the same one, I built her out of polys so she would mesh smooth up all nice.
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Nice to see wrath back on the bandwagon. Can't wait to see some of those anims.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, that looks pretty good! Hands and face look very nicely executed.
  • Jerome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerome polycounter lvl 18
    what a harlequin for QUAKE 4??? idk but that'd be cool as the one for quake three (im guessing was by you) is still one of the top downloaded ppm ON polycount. it'd be cool to see one for it.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool. And nice pose.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    You and me are in the same boat, but I got tosswed into the deep end, animating in Max 8 after years of Maya. I may have convinced the production leads to scrap Biped, in favor of a skin & Bones solution, especuially with all the glitches we have been rinunning into with Biped.

I think the model is adorable.

Scott
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, takes me back Wrath. She's still as fresh as ever!
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Good to see you back around. Yup she's still hot! Maybe her cap could use the half tone?
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Nice, Wrath. Cool seeing the old girl around here again. I made a skin for the original Q3 version years ago that never got hosted on Polycount even though I submitted it. frown.gif

Her tits seem a bit far apart but other that she's adorable.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Okay, so no one else has asked yet. What were you doing for 4 years away from Max?
  • -DN-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -DN- polycounter lvl 18
    main thing is you're back at it, looking forward to the anims
  • Wrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wrath polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Okay, so no one else has asked yet. What were you doing for 4 years away from Max?

[/ QUOTE ]

Various things, check my resume on my website for particulars if you're really interested. It's actually been 4 years since I've animated and only a year away from Max. I've spent that past year doing FX for Auto Assault, which involves editing XML scripts in a text editor...for example, here's a Biomek nuclear cruise missile script:

[edit]removed XML code because I was tired of looking at it[/edit]
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I read some of the dev diaries for that. The game sounded really fun.

You worked at 2015 in Tulsa right? I sent an email there a few months ago (since they are the only developer in OK) but got no response.
    I figured after Men of Valor got mediocre reviews, they might not be doing so hot.
  • Wrath
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Nice work on the cycles there. The walk could maybe do with a straiter leg when she plants her heel - makes her look a little bow-legged from this angle.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the run.

I think on the walk that the wrist motion on the arm coming forward should be delayed so that the hand tilts up when (or a little before) the arm starts it's way back. I think it looks like the hands is pointing, and leading the motion of the arm.
  • yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    that run is looking great. the walk on the other hand could benefit from some more femenin motion. good shit man
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    The run looks okay, more of a jog, but not bad. The walk.

Her feet are properly "heel to toe" in the stride, but the hips should cyle side to side, so that hip on the hip point above the load bearing leg should be up, and the hips to the side the side enough that her head is above the load bearing foot. Shoulders counter rotate to compensate for the hips and give a nice curve to the spine in the walk.

The pom poms are out of phase with her walk, and should bounce downward about 3-4 frames past her 'plant'.

Make sense?

Scott

Scott
  • Wrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wrath polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, the walk I'm re-doing. Not happy with it at all.

[edit]Okay, I have a new walk cycle done. I think it's much better in general and I need to move on to something else.
    New Walk Cycle

[/edit]
  • Wrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wrath polycounter lvl 18
    New animation. I fought and fought with this one for a couple of days and just couldn't get it to come out right, and then by some magical thing it just came together all of a sudden.

Triple kick

Still a bit of fine tuning to do, some more secondary motion, better arcs in a few spots, etc...but I'm just glad to get it into this state.
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    Walk Cycle: pretty good but the shoulders and hips need more counter balance tilt. When you walk your hips and shoulders react opposite of one another so as one leg is lifting up the opposite shoulder is doing the same. With the sashay' you're trying to give Harl here you really need to emphasize that to give her that feminine oomph.

Once you have that sway going her head should be reacting to it, bobbing a bit more (her whole body really) and reacting as well to the counter balance of the hips and shoulders. Once that's done the "pigtails" should be reacting to that as well. The end result should have the tails mimicking little figure eights if you look closely enough.

Anyway I know I don't have any street cred for animation so take my "advice" with a grain of salt. Can someone with experience give a better crit please?

On the model though, that is without a doubt Harly Quinn. Very quality. Could we possibly get a look at the poly view if possible?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice stuff, Wrath. Nice to see you posting again smile.gif

The triple kick animation looks great. Very fluid and believable.

The walk cycle is nice too, however it looks like you need to move her pelvis forward a fair bit... at the moment she looks like she's slouching, which isn't really working - if the shoulders were behind the pelvis she'd seem more confident and poised, which would match up with the rest of her motion a lot better.

Great work though, keep it up! smile.gif
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The triple kick looks awesome, The walk I think has a ton of character. Maybe she needs flex on the boobs to give a slight secondary motion. I mean, I don't think it should be sexed up too much, but something subtle/realistic.
  • Wrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wrath polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    On the model though, that is without a doubt Harly Quinn. Very quality. Could we possibly get a look at the poly view if possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.polycount.net/wrath/Portfolio/3D/HarleyQuinn_flat_front.jpg

http://www.polycount.net/wrath/Portfolio/3D/HarleyQuinn_flat_back.jpg
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Okay, wow. those are some great animations.

and I like the use of white wireframe *steals technique*
  • ebit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebit polycounter lvl 17
    Nothing on the walk that already hasn't been said. On the triple kick however one thing that bothers me is the landing. I know Harley must only weigh some 100 pounds but she still seems to be landing a lot lighter than she should for the force she's coming down with (we're talking knee replacement by next week).

Try adding a little more flex in her knee and here spine (two important shock absorbers). You can keep the backstep but you may need to add a bit more spring as she uncoils and transfers the energy.

edit: And yes those are some great animations. smile.gif