Home General Discussion

I *just* watched epi 2 and 3 of Star Wars and...

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
...I enjoyed 'em. I know, I know I'm waaaay late on watching them but Epi 1 left an extremely bad taste in my mouth. I'm a big fan of 4,5 and 6 and after seeing 1 I was afraid of watching the other 2 in fear of them tainting the series for me. This wasn't the case, luckily.

My only question is this: How does Obi Wan die? Has it even been written?

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Episode 3 was a big pile of shiny CG poo.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I enjoyed it more-so than epi 2. Even if greenscreen action made up for 80% of the film.
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    In Episode2 when Amidala and Anakin are visiting her home planet and she's wearing these dresses that are saying "Oh, look at me young jedi - THIS is what you're getting. Did you notice my boobs and how my clothes emphasize them? If I'll take a deep breath they'll just pop out for your pleasure which by the way will look absolutely amazing in the light of the fireplace in the background. And do you remember the scene just before, when the dress had such a low neckline on the back that my butt was visible? If I'd bend over you would have been able to look just up into heaven, you know." while Amidala says "No Anakin, we cannot." I nearly had to vomit all over my popcorn.

Same for the dialogue in Episode3: "It's because I love you so much" - "No, it's because I love YOU so much!"
    Most stupid lines ever.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    Same for the dialogue in Episode3: "It's because I love you so much" - "No, it's because I love YOU so much!"
    Most stupid lines ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but that's why I liked it. Do you talk intelligent stuff to your girlfriend all the time? I don't tbh.
    I thought ep 3 is pretty cool, I felt the star wars magic again after 2 very disappointing episodes.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Do you talk intelligent stuff to your girlfriend all the time? I don't tbh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just grunts and hair pulling then? wink.gif
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    My only question is this: How does Obi Wan die? Has it even been written?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm ... am I missing a joke here? You've seen Episode 4, right?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't possibly agree more. I don't think any amount of cg polish made up for the appalling travesty of ROTS. Of all the aspects that make up the Art of film-making, the special effects, cinematography and audio were about the only out of the many that were good. The writing, storytelling, editing and acting were nothing short of abysmal. Just plain BAD. I don't even get what's to like. There is no substance. There is ZERO chemistry between any of the characters. Hayden Christensen is an absolutely terrible actor. You feel nothing for them. The script is hysterically poor. The story absolutely bullet ridden with plot holes, inconsistencies and oddities. When it comes to screenplay, it's got nothing to do with 'intelligent', and everything to do with believable. Lucas lost the plot somewhere along the way, buffered from any sense of good and bad by his coccoon of yes men at the ranch. Let's face it, If this movie had been set in a completely new, unknown non Star Wars universe, and not made by Lucas, it would have been laughed at as utter garbage. He totally dropped the ball as far as I'm concerned.

So yeah, I didn't like it ;-p
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    True, but that's why I liked it. Do you talk intelligent stuff to your girlfriend all the time? I don't tbh.

[/ QUOTE ]
    No I don't. But neither am I a lightsaber swinging guy with the powers of a half-god nor am I one of the main characters in a multi-million-dollar-production who has to carry a certain kind of movie over a few hours.

When I went to see EP3 I expected StarWars. Instead I got droids delivering stupid funny lines, spaceships doing emergency landings where they should've ended up in a fireball, useless CG overdose, plotholes everywhere, weak excuses for jedis, characters with dialogue and intentions FUBAR and finally Geogre Lucas explaining the plot to death in almost every scene. There is only one scene in the whole movie where the viewer is allowed to think for himself and that's the birth of Vader/the twins.

The rest of the movie is bullshit IMO.
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    EP3 was all about making the bridge back to the story that began back in 1977. I hated the whiny portrayal of pre-
    Vader Anakin until lately I came to realize that Mark Hamill played young Luke as a whiny slacker -- it's simply a genetic trait in Skywalker teens.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    i havent really cared much about SW since i saw Ep3. thought it was great to watch, had some HORRID lines but i think it just put a lid on the whole thing for me.

for now im done with SW. but i will say bring on more stuff from the Old Republic smile.gif

ep3 anakin == emo laugh.gif
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BRUTICUS(CW) polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    EP3 was all about making the bridge back to the story that began back in 1977. I hated the whiny portrayal of pre-
    Vader Anakin until lately I came to realize that Mark Hamill played young Luke as a whiny slacker -- it's simply a genetic trait in Skywalker teens.

[/ QUOTE ]

But Hamil atleast did it well. He wasn't whining all the time. The prequels needed a Han Solo type character....NOT Jar Jar.

We should have RESPECTED Anakin as did Obi Wan but in eps 2 and 3 his abilities were ALWAYS overshadowed by his arrogance and childish behaviour.

Yoda should not have been flying around like a jumping bean, he should have handled his light saber elegantly and slowly but with enough wisdom to predict his opponents actions and block their attacks.

The reason Amadala died was pathetic, she lost the will to live? That wasn't well thought out at all.

Have you ever seen a broadway play, the way they act is very unrealistic. Everything is said with straight posture and everyone walks completely straight. That's how the acting was to me in the prequels. It wasn't REAL it was like watching animation with no secondary motion.

Nothing compares to Hamil's portrayal of Luke. "No,....that's not true!....That's IMPOSSIBLE!" before leaping from the tower with a slight smile of crazed devotion to the jedi cause.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Instead I got droids delivering stupid funny lines

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh hell! Don't remind me! Those battle droids almost made me walk out of the cinema in disgust!

Ep4,5,6 didn't have stormtroopers doing the sci-fi equivalent of slipping on a banana skin or shooting each other in the back and making "comedy" comments. If they had, they would have been ruined.

Ruined like Ep3.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Cartoon network's Clonewars microseries/minimovie got it right IMO.
    Lucas should have defaulted to Genndy Tartakovsky as writer/director. If any of you haven't seen the 2 disks of animated goodness, do pick them up for at least a rent. I immagine you'll find yourself screaming "WHY WASN'T THAT IN THE LIVE ACTION FILMS!" over and over again like I did.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    ep 1, 2, 3 are miserable. wait a few weeks and watch them again, you'll see. And the ONLY person you can blame is lucas. ep 5 and 6 (the best IMO) were NOT directed by him and were NOT written by him (he only came up with the 'story')

it's interesting how the one episode of the first trilogy that lucas DID write and direct had hamill very whiney...maybe lucas likes whiney characters?
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I enjoyed it. But then again, I'm a pretty huge star wars fan...
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I liked ep. 3. When you take into account the fact that they were already stuck with lame actors, and some pretty awful preceding movies, I think they did just about the best they could.

I thought the end was completely awesome BECAUSE I had come to hate Anikin so much. Great job Hayden, ha ha.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Erm, I have seen Epi 4... how does Obi die?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    duh, killed by vader? tongue.gif
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    that's why he is a disembodied voice when Luke blows up the Death Star and appears as a glowing blue ghost in Empire Strikes Back and return of the Jedi. wink.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    At the end of Ep 3 some guy says that Obi Wan found a method to become transcendent. Of course that makes no sense since Vader appears as a ghost at the end, too, yet he never became transcendent, he merely died and got blown up.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    lucas is a hack, pure and simple. he relies heavily on other people taking his "ideas" and making them not suck so much.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    to my mind, only 1 of lucas' tiny handful of directing credits TRULY sucks bollocks, and that's Attack of the clones. I'd rather shove a broken wine bottle slowly up my arse than watch that again.

elsewhere (and not forgetting films like the Indy trilogy) i think he generally scores pretty highly on the easygoing charm front...
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    he did not direct any indy films. or write them (again, he only did story/concept)..you're getting spielberg and lucas mixed up.. there was a rumor that lucas felt bad that he never let spielberg direct a SW so he let him do the Indy films. Ironically Spielberg is now considered to be as important to cinema history as Hitchcock, if not moreso. Lucas..well.. time will tell how these last three films treat him in the long run.

Lucas has directed the 3 new crapwars, the original star wars (ep4), american graffitti, and thx-1138..and some minor films in the early 70s I think... I believe that is it.

He is a GENIUS producer. No one can gather hollywood money and get things done like he can... I just wish he stayed on that level of his films instead of trying to write and direct...
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    oi, bollox, i'm getting no-one mixed up - as you say, he did story/concept, and production, on the Indys ... just as he did on Empire and Jedi. So i lump them in together
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    you didn't like Willow?
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Bah, they newest ones were crap. The only reason so many people probably liked the 3rd one so much is that the other 2 "Episodes" set their expectations low, and the third one was still just mediocre, just considerably better.
    (I liked the third one as well, though)
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did anyone else think that pivotal scene with Palpat
    ine was WAY overblown (the one where anakin kills windu) Palpatine's makeup looked really fake and his voice was sadly over performed. People were laughing in the theatre while I watched that.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I dunno why everyone said his creepy voice was overperformed, to me it sounded the same as the Emperor from the original 3 (especially since it's the same actor!).

However the scene around that time was ridiculous, the Jedi Council were like "Quick let's send some people to fight this deadly powerful Sith Lord in such a dangerous situation... who shall we send? I know, these 3 mooks who just got their lightsaber licenses this morning, and one decent bloke."

Moronic!
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    lucas is a hack, pure and simple. he relies heavily on other people taking his "ideas" and making them not suck so much.

[/ QUOTE ]

The man is a four-time Oscar nominee, twice for Best Director (American Graffiti, Star Wars) and twice for original screenplays (again for American Graffiti, Star Wars).

If you want to say he's lost his touch or whatever, I might go with that, but a hack? That's overstating it just a bit.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    You have to admit Oscars really arent the best way to prove the valididty of a director.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On the topic of the prequels:

EP1) I mostly enjoyed this film. The problems I had were with the tragically bad character of Jar Jar and Jake Lloyd's unfortunately poor acting. The script wasn't great, but it got the job done. Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor and Ian McDiarmid were all solid. The podrace was gimmicky but exciting. The final lightsaber battle was absoltuely thrilling. And Lucas can still work a camera; the reveal with the hangar bay doors, when he introduces Darth Maul... it's hard to say Bad Mother Fucker with a static shot, but Lucas sold that one.

EP2) Yuck. I didn't like this one much at all. The story felt poorly edited such that I couldn't even figure out what was going on (and the Sifo Dyas bit was NEVER followed up on). The romance dialogue was cringingly bad. The gladiator pit scene and everything on Coruscant was weak, and the human/CG interactions were often atrocious. Even Christopher Lee failed to really be interesting. About the only thing I enjoyed in this flick was the neat sound effect from the seismic bombs Jango Fett used. Fan service via the Fett family was shameful. McDiarmid and McGregor again hold up their end, but the rest of the crowd fails to excite. A real waste of Samuel L. Jackson.

EP3) I did enjoy this film. The story happened too fast, but that was largely due to the unnecessarily slow pacing the first two films. The cinematography between Anakin and Padme as he contemplates returningto the temple - great stuff, Lucas forgetting the effects and doing his thing. The final battle on Mustafar was worthy of the hype, though Anakin really did go down like a punk. The opening rescue sequence was great, classic Star Wars. The fight between Obi-Wan and General Grievous was also very entertaining. Chewbacca = more inexcusable fan service. I thoroughly mixed back, I have to say, but I had fun watching it than I do Jedi.

I rank 'em 5,4,3,6,1,2.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The fight between Obi-Wan and General Grievous was also very entertaining.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, while entertaining it may have been, one thing it definitely was, was dumb.
    General Grievous did a cool "spinning hands multi-lightsaber attack" thing, but all he did with it was stalk forward until Obi-Wan was against a wall, then inexplicably stop spinning the lightsabers. Lightsabers cut through ANYTHING, man, he could have easily taken down Obi-Wan if he'd just kept those spinning for another second.
    I'd have approved if they'd found a better way to make him stop spinning them, like if Obi-Wan got a critical hit in then or something, but no, he just stops for no reason.
    I guess it's another facet of the "sharks with laser beams attached to their heads" syndrome for bad guys... smile.gif
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    You have to admit Oscars really arent the best way to prove the valididty of a director.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll admit they don't validate a director as being great, but I think two nominations rules out that director being a hack. It's not like I'm cherry-picking these; both films are AFI Top 100 selections. Lucas did good work in the 1970s, I don't see how there can be much debate about that.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    The fight between Obi-Wan and General Grievous was also very entertaining.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, while entertaining it may have been, one thing it definitely was, was dumb.
    General Grievous did a cool "spinning hands multi-lightsaber attack" thing, but all he did with it was stalk forward until Obi-Wan was against a wall, then inexplicably stop spinning the lightsabers. Lightsabers cut through ANYTHING, man, he could have easily taken down Obi-Wan if he'd just kept those spinning for another second.
    I'd have approved if they'd found a better way to make him stop spinning them, like if Obi-Wan got a critical hit in then or something, but no, he just stops for no reason.
    I guess it's another facet of the "sharks with laser beams attached to their heads" syndrome for bad guys... smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha - yeah, I didn't say it was great or anything, just fun to watch the whole sequence. smile.gif
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    there were cool 'moments' in every prequil but I didn't like any of the films as a whole.

Empire was a great film back to front. None of the prequils felt like that as a film.

All of the prequils were terribly scripted, terribly paced,a nd there was very little emotional attachment to any characters (save watto) It feels like the movie was made for redneck idiots.

-R
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll admit they don't validate a director as being great, but I think two nominations rules out that director being a hack. It's not like I'm cherry-picking these; both films are AFI Top 100 selections. Lucas did good work in the 1970s, I don't see how there can be much debate about that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed... I heard a rumor though that his ex-wife did a LOT of story-editing for his work back then... originally light sabers were supposed to be called 'laser swords' and things like that... maybe she was a 'janitor' who cleaned up his creative flow (eeeww) and made it bearable. I mean, there is some good ideas behind the prequels...they just need to be severly edited and 'janitored'...and now he's surrounded by only yes-men and we get....sigh....metachlorines...

Also---that opening shot to EP3 (of the ships-pan-to-reveal-the-space battle) is the best opening shot in all 6 films..
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boba Fett and Jango Fett are meant to become the greatest bounty hunters in the galaxy. Boba Fett has been known as the mysterious character.

In Episode 2 we go inside his squeeky clean apartment while daddy is making macaroni. That scene was so uncalled for.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Also---that opening shot to EP3 (of the ships-pan-to-reveal-the-space battle) is the best opening shot in all 6 films..

[/ QUOTE ]

Ironically this was my biggest gripe with Episode 3, all the other crap aside. That scene was boring as dogshit. Pretty effects, but the battle lacked tension, or basically anything other than rainbow blaster bolts, CG models up the ass, and stupid wisecracking from Obi wan and emo boy.

ROTJ's battle was far more enjoyable for me, even watching it now, than ep3's.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the entire movie, CG robots and creatures are crowding the frame... i'd like to see a special HOLY SHIT: ROBOTS! version of episode 3, wherein the entire length of the movie, the foreground of every sequence is blocked by robots completely filling up the frame, and all dialogue and music is blocked out by the sound of robotic beeps and whistles.

that's what episode 3 was anyhow, why not take it to the logical extreme? laugh.gif
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ironically this was my biggest gripe with Episode 3, all the other crap aside. That scene was boring as dogshit.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're absolutely right. The SCENE sucked... the fight was boring and bad and blah. It was bad filmaking. What I was praising was that single, opening shot--that's all.

--scroll 'long ago..' text,
    --pan down to a star destoyerish ship,
    --pan along and over the top of ship(everything seems quiet)(this is standard of all SW films, BUUUUT the next bit took it further)
    --roll camera over the edge of the ship and BAM you got the battlefield reveal.

All one shot, no cuts...it was very effectively done. For a brief moment in the theatre I had become optimistic. Buuuut the movie was downhill from there. The second the camera cuts for the first time is the second the crap starts.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    agreed, i remember thinking about how that shot actually seemed like an inspired bit of filmmaking, but shortly thereafter everyone (including John Williams) went back on autopilot. completely asleep at the wheel.

which brings me to the the rather curious prospect of a post-SW project out of Lucas, whenever he'll be able to get around to it with all this tv show development and such. i'm predicting a brave failure, but i've always found those more watchable and interesting than the alternative... especially in this case.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    he is "now" a hack. brome.. vader cut down obi wan in front of luke in episode 4. you may be confused since it was not the same actor who played obi in the prequels, but a much older fella alec guinness
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    "vader cut down obi wan in front of luke in episode 4"

No. Obi Wan 'ascended' and Vader's saber cut though air.

They touch on that in ep 3 but it's more like "..and hey study that 'thing', ok bye!"
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Gah! Sorry Sett, I meant to click reply but hit Edit instead and didn't notice till I'd posted ... I put it back to what you said originally smile.gif

What I was trying to say was - no, it didn't happen ... it's a movie smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I think that ascension requires death. For some reason Vader ascended without disappearing before death.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Well duh it wasn't the same person. I just can't recall it.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Also, my favourite scene out of all 3 new movies was the close up of Anakin getting the Vader mask attached for the first time, taking his first breath as the Darth Vader we all know (and love). The smoke coming out of the mask was a nice touch.

Also, when Anakin is on fire near the laval - well done.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Well duh it wasn't the same person. I just can't recall it.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Strike me down and I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine!" It's the duel on the Death Star right before Lukeand the gang escape on the Falcon. Obi-Wan deliberately drops his guard and Vader seems to slice him clean in half. However, there is no body; Kenobi's clothing falls to the ground and Vader steps on the empty robes, but no trace remains. Surely this rings a bell? smile.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Ah, yes! Thanks Verm....

D'oh!
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My nerd status is now complete... wink.gif