Home General Discussion

Official Windows on Apple solution

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
neolith polycounter lvl 18
http://images.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/
Things are getting interesting. Maybe I'll see the day where both systems are able to run the same software with no dependencies for the OS...

Replies

• Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    java technically does what you are asking.
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Technically yes. Practically not.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Oh, they caved. I guess it's not thier fault that WinXP is a better OS. Oh wait, yes it is. laugh.giflaugh.gif
    /runs from mac fans

Seriously though, I think this is a good thing. I used macs in high school for Photoshop, and I thought they were great. Started using them for multimedia class (video editing) and I started getting headaches. I think this is a good way to blend the best of both OS', and bring the community together.
  • Rick Stirling
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol smile.gif
    Macs are good for some things, that's for sure. But stability wise, I like Windows more. That's just me. XP has only crashed once on me, in like 4 years. I've had too many crashes and headaches with OSX and other Apple OS's to warrent their use anymore.
    Everyone has their own tastes, though smile.gif
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Windows stable? Even when I was a windows lover I accepted the fact that it was like an ornery old horse that was liable to kick you in the groin.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    But stability wise, I like Windows more. That's just me. XP has only crashed once on me, in like 4 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol... be honest: with crash you mean 'hard reset crash', right?

Because stuff like the explorer crashing and recovering within a second or programs freezing in such a way that you have to kill them with the task manager happens more or less several times a day when ever I dare to work with XP.

Now imagine this: on GNU/Linux stuff like this is as rare as once in a few years (unless you deliberatly work with unstable releases)!

Can't really comment on OSX, but I bet it happens less often also.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Zarking fardwarks. Something as astonishing as Apple actually supporting a Microsoft OS happens, and in a half-dozen posts we're already to the platform zealot penis-measuring? Polycount, I expect better of you. tongue.gif

ANYWAY... wow! I *just* bought my new laptop three months ago and already I wish I had held out. I have always liked the powerbook designs better than anything PC laptop developers offer, but couldn't justify buying a machine that didn't let me use 3DS Max. This would have been absolutely ideal. And speaking as someone who does a ton of multimedia development, the ability to test multi-platform compatibility on the same box would just rock. Can't count the number of times I've done something in Flash or for the web that works great on one side but has bizarro problems on the other. Dang, it'd also be nice to finally have a machine to run Final Cut. Maybe next time laugh.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    When I worked for Kinko's the dual-processor G5 would crash on me once, twice a week.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    So in other words, out of a score of 700, OSX and WinXP Pro are pretty much identical (I think the extra points difference is from "OS X looks prettier").

My main reason for not getting a Mac, ever, was due to software support. I guess now that it's possible (although clunky) to get WinXP onto a new Mac, that's one less argument against getting one. Pricey, though.

I'd be interested to see how a benchmark of 3DSMax on a PC, and on a WinXP-running Mac compared (from a similar price range of PC and Mac).
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka - Yes, I get software locks 1-2 times a week on XP. but that's not XP itself, crashing. XP has only locked up on me once.

Vermillion, I'm not saying one is better than the other. not TRYING to, anyways. I think they are both good at what they do, simple as that. I can only comment on my own personal experience with macs, which end badly 80% of the time.

They are both good platforms, though.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Yes but will it run directX 9.0c?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka: my boss was messing around with Yellow Dog Linux for a while and said OSX is pretty much like linux with a nice gui, pull up the terminal and you get all the same commands etc...
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    OSX is a unix derivate just like linux, it offers the same kind of environment under the hood, more or less.

it features the most bloated slow and resource-wasting desktop environment i've ever seen though. but hey, it's all brushed metal with animated lollipop colored buttons, can't be wrong, right? ... wink.gif
    looks cool for five minutes though, after that it's like GUI poser heaven. you can only love or hate it, there is no middle ground or so it seems.

anyway pretty funny, wasn't it apple who insisted on being so different? except for cases and UI, what's left?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I am a converted mac user. in the past I had to use one with os9 and it was a real pain the arse.

but with osx and lots of ram, this thing is very very stable. If a program does crash (lets face it, programs do and it's not the operating systems fault) I can just force quit it OR get on with something else.

My timeless experience with windows is that, if a program crashes, it locks up the whole operating system.

In have a legit copy of windows and legit max, so I'll definately be installing boot camp on this machine when I get some free time. Also Picassa is windows only so I'll be using that a lot for my photos.

To be honest though, I used windows for such a long time and really do hate it. On the mac things are just so much simpler. Which believe it or not, is to my taste. Fucking around for hours trying to get things to work is not my cup of green tea.
  • drakino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drakino polycounter lvl 18
    *Kicks his Dell XPS brick to the curb*

About time they did this. Now I can game, and work on the MacBook Pro.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    My timeless experience with windows is that, if a program crashes, it locks up the whole operating system.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your timeless Windows version? 98? ME? On Win2k you can just SHIFT-CTRL-ESC and kill the offending process. No program takes my entire computer down unless it's a hardware failure (overheating, for example). Only drivers and the hardware can do enough to cause a bluescreen and since I stopped using Creative sound cards I've stopped getting bluescreens, too.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i am very keen to see the extent of the compatibility. if this implemented well, it's really going to boost apple's market share, or at least it ought to. they've got some very good designers over there... heck, they may even lure me further in. currently they've only gotten me for the cinema display.. but the idea of a really nice mac notebook able to run windows is extremely tantalizing.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe, KDR, that's exactly my experience too. The only time I got bluescreens and total system lockups was when there was something wrong with my hardware. I swear I don't know what people are doing to make WinXP, 2k, 3dsmax, Photoshop crash as much as they like saying it does. I mean, someone must be doing something wrong somewhere, cos it ain't happening to me at all! smile.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I think the reason I prefer my mac to my PC is just Feel.

The mac just Feels right, in the same way the Silo Feels right and Blender doesn't.

Last time we went on holiday we hired a car, it was a Nissan Almera. It had power steering, electric windows, all the belsl and whistles,. got us from a to b, but it jsut dint Feel right to me. Something was every so slightly clunky about the whole thing.

Thats how I feel about OS X on my mac vs XP on my PC.

I've decided to just get rid of my PC totally now. The last thing I used it for was uvmapping my dominance war entry, and I can do that in Silo now.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Rick thats how I feel about Windows compared to mac, it just feels right but its like art. You can say its good without reasoning yet if you say its rubbish or you don't like it, you have to explain your reasoning. If I say I like windows and don't like mac, I have to explain myself but if I say macs are awesome.. its cool.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now you too can buy ultra expensive hardware, and run with the stability of windows!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The mac just Feels right, in the same way the Silo Feels right and Blender doesn't.

The sarcastic way?
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    And speaking as someone who does a ton of multimedia development, the ability to test multi-platform compatibility on the same box would just rock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just install GNU/Linux (Ubuntu for example) on your x86 box. If something runs on Linux it is trivial to port it over to macs. And it gives the added benefit of more Linux apps available wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    What is your timeless Windows version? 98? ME? On Win2k you can just SHIFT-CTRL-ESC and kill the offending process. No program takes my entire computer down unless it's a hardware failure (overheating, for example).

[/ QUOTE ]

It is true that XP seldomly crashes completely, but the bad thing is that crashed programms often take other processes down with them. The explorer (not the internet one but the desktop one) for example crashes very often alone or together with a application (it recovers quickly on its own though), and after a crash of a program XP often feels sluggish as if some memory eating remains stay on for a while (quickly restarting the same application that just crashed is sometimes also problematic).
    On a good OS ( smile.gif ) this doesn't happen, you can almost everytime close a crashed programm just as a normally running one, and there are no remains in the memory or effects on other programs at all!

The interesting thing is that Windows user are so used to the quirks that they don't really notice them (after all it isn't so bad since XP), but if you are used to a Mac or Linux it becomes very apparent and annoying. And that is exactly the reason why Windows user often feel that Mac/Linux users are nitpicking/evangelists/annoying whiners etc. laugh.gif (Edit: Ok Mac users are really annoying tongue.gif )
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't had any explorer crashes lately. In fact since the last time I reinstalled Windows (a year ago or so) I haven't seen one Stop error or explorer crash on my machine. Of course my father's machine crashes all the time but he sucks at maintaining it. Haven't seen any of that "can't easily restart a crashed application" stuff.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Of course my father's machine crashes all the time but he sucks at maintaining it.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHY should anyone have to 'maintain' a computer? Why can't it do that itself? Why do we have to defrag? Why can't it do that itself? Why shoudl we have to organise where things ar stored, thats the point of computers.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last time that happend to me was with a game actually... after several crashes (buggy piece of shit mad.gif ) it would simple refuse to start again until I restarted the entire computer.

Oh and now that you mention reinstalling laugh.gif That is another of those annoying things in Windows. Linux on the otherhand doesn't need reinstalling unless you change the harddrive it is on at all (and even that could be theoretically done without, and if you save the home directory you just have to copy it back into the system and everything is configured exactly as it was).
    You can even completly change the hardware with out any noticable problems (due to the monolithic kernel; and if you install a second kernel you can even change platforms!!111elevenoneoneone smile.gif ), heck you could theoretically even change distributions without reinstalling (but I can't advise that laugh.gif ).
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WHY should anyone have to 'maintain' a computer? Why can't it do that itself? Why do we have to defrag? Why can't it do that itself? Why shoudl we have to organise where things ar stored, thats the point of computers.

I don't really maintain my computer either but that's the only possible explaination I have why his computer is so sluggish, instable and requires frequent reformats. No matter what hardware you give that guy you can be sure it's going to run slowly, crash often and he'll reinstall Windows every month because his installation broke. Maybe it's just the combination of supid user and admin privileges (he won't even set an admin password no matter how much I urge him to because he thinks passwords are unnecessary)... No, JK, LPU won't help there, that guy would just switch to root for changing something he doesn't understand and break the OS.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDDR XXX you highlighted the wrong line, the one you should have gone for is this:

To be honest though, I used windows for such a long time and really do hate it. On the mac things are just so much simpler. Which believe it or not, is to my taste. Fucking around for hours trying to get things to work is not my cup of green tea.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even cooler!, it's basically like VirtualPC but it doesn't have to perform processor emulation.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    And speaking as someone who does a ton of multimedia development, the ability to test multi-platform compatibility on the same box would just rock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just install GNU/Linux (Ubuntu for example) on your x86 box. If something runs on Linux it is trivial to port it over to macs. And it gives the added benefit of more Linux apps available wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish it was that easy. With web development, you've got to deal with people who are still using OS9, just like you have to account for Windows users who still have 98 and need to test Apple-specific limitations. Additionally, Flash is different for Apple, IE is different, and I think Safari only runs on MacOS. It's a pain.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Of course my father's machine crashes all the time but he sucks at maintaining it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Screws fall out, the world is an imperfect place...

Really, this isn't a fault of an OS as much as it is applications you install. Some Windows apps leave junk everywhere, getting their tendrils into the registry, documents AND program files folders, icons on the desktop AND quick launch bar AND start menu... Others, you go to uninstall and they leave things behind - empty folder, random config or settings files, core data that just doesn't get junked, etc. It's the way of things.

Part of the problem is Windows related on the PC side, as the NTFS FAT isn't the best ever, but it's due to change sooner or later (was supposed to be replaced with Vista, but I hear that's been pushed to a later release).
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    hm. maintenance you say?
    unlesss thing have changed since 10.4.3 which is what i used, it's not so different, really. no self-cleaning, self-supporting OS, definitely smile.gif

in OSX the GUI seems to hide a lot from the user. good for inexperienced people who do not want to bother too much with software installation, versioning and such.
    as soon as you look under the hood, it's just a slightly non-standard unix file system layout. and programs ARE leaving crap on deinstallation like they do on windows. the (great!) difference to windows is that there is no fuc!"§$&%§"in registry. if you know where to look for, you can fix almost everything yourself.

that however would require some knowledge of the way this flavour of unix works internally, and of course to know your way around the shell/terminal, have certain utils installed and such. else all you can do is re-install like those wintendos as soon as some deinstalled app screws your boot-scripts or the dependency-hell takes over your system.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish it was that easy. With web development, you've got to deal with people who are still using OS9, just like you have to account for Windows users who still have 98 and need to test Apple-specific limitations. Additionally, Flash is different for Apple, IE is different, and I think Safari only runs on MacOS. It's a pain.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe 5 years ago, yes.

now a days, no web coder in their right mind would test anything but IE and firefox, as these two browsers have the largest differences with stylesheets to one another.

You're saying web developers test on old platforms / browsers? Utter bullshit my friend.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I am a web developer. I do test on old platforms and browsers.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Then you're stuck in the past and wasting your time smile.gif

Basically, web standards didn't exist when these browsers were released, so as devlopers we shouldn't feel committed to support what is a very low percentage of viewers, who see the whole internet broken anyhow.

Sticking to ONLY new and current standards (even though they differ between IE and FF) saves you time and clients money. All other industries have standards - web should be the same. Also not pandering to the shit parsing of old browsers can future proof your code... bug fixes are parsed differently as new versions of browsers are released, which breaks layouts intended to be read only by buggy browsers.

Actually I find that safari handles CSS a lot better than any other browser, especially em sizes, which are borked on FF

I could go on all day about this. Another thing that rattles my cage is fixes that get read by different browsers, these only get coded in because of over-zelousness. If it doesn't look the same in the major browsers; change the layout, instead of adding bug fix code! Bug fix code is tempremental!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    now a days, no web coder in their right mind would test anything but IE and firefox, as these two browsers have the largest differences with stylesheets to one another.

Seems like that worked for Nintendo of Europe. Not even the scrollbars work in Opera because some idiot decided to use Javascript instead of CSS or iframes.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Now you too can buy ultra expensive hardware, and run with the stability of windows!

[/ QUOTE ]

here is one of the only pc laptop equvilants i have found...
    here
    and oh man what do you know its the same price. macs are not really that much more expensive than pcs anymore, you are actually getting what you pay for. its just thiner and lighter and with the aluminum case i bet it runs way cooler. my girlfriends mac barly gets above room tempreture makes absolutly no noise and you can actually use on your lap. mine will catch shit on fire and sounds like a jet taking off when i use max or zbrush.

totally switching now.
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    my girlfriends mac barly gets above room tempreture makes absolutly no noise and you can actually use on your lap. mine will catch shit on fire and sounds like a jet taking off when i use max or zbrush.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well that's a problem you won't have with a mac as there is no max for MacOS. wink.gif

BTW, what ever happened to emulators like CherryOS? I only found PearPC...
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    here is one of the only pc laptop equvilants i have found...
    here
    and oh man what do you know its the same price. macs are not really that much more expensive than pcs anymore, you are actually getting what you pay for. its just thiner and lighter and with the aluminum case i bet it runs way cooler. my girlfriends mac barly gets above room tempreture makes absolutly no noise and you can actually use on your lap. mine will catch shit on fire and sounds like a jet taking off when i use max or zbrush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently you havnt looked atall, www.alienware.com for example.
    The Mac has ATI x1600 graphics card that propably isnt very fast and thats why its so silent and cold, because it has no bloody performance.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sin cei'm finally selling my Pc (once mt new TFT arrives), running XP from time to time would be useful.

I can't justify buying a house and scrabbling to get cash for that, and then dropping 2k on an intel based mac, so I'll give this : http://www.kberg.ch/q/ a shot at the weekend.

Runs Linux, Windows and others on intel and powerPC macs.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I could go on all day about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can tell. I guess your method works great if all of your clients are people who stay current with hardware, OS and software trends. One of my clients is a public University with 35,000 students and many faculty who can't or won't upgrade - some of them literally run Mac OS9, and many of them don't have a machine capable of running Flash. I'd love it if I didn't have to develop with such arcane requirements in mind, but it's what they ask of me and so that's what I do. I've also recently done work for the local museum center, developing an interactive CD-Rom. They couldn't run it properly because .wmv video compression was too intense for the machines they use with their kiosks, so I had to downgrade to a lesser standard. These things are hardly rare circumstances in my work. Maybe it's "bullshit" to you and I'm "wasting time" or whatever, but it's how I earn my living.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry hawken i agree verm here. i write asp.net apps as a major part of my job, and legacy testing is a huge part of it because 85%+ computer users out there are incapable of affording or running modern hardware/software. You may not see this because of where you are located.

For instance, you don't even want to know how many legacy systems and servers are currently up and operational in the US government. And i can only imagine what it's like for less fortunate areas.

and the x1600 is actually a pretty good card. considered high range.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

Apparently you havnt looked atall, www.alienware.com for example.
    The Mac has ATI x1600 graphics card that propably isnt very fast and thats why its so silent and cold, because it has no bloody performance.

[/ QUOTE ]

well specwise the x1600 is better than a 6800 go, unless a 6800 is too slow for you. i looked the alienware laptops, with 6800(which is slower) its actually more expensive(about 300 dollars more), is much thicker(looked almost as thick as it was wide!), way heavier, slower processor,(there are actually no duel core alienware laptops so you cant even compair really).. so i dont think you will be getting an equivilent laptop from alienware for the same price.
    i am sure you could get an awesome computer, but you will be paying more and it will be far from mobile at a whopping 13 pounds!!! if i ever decide to take up power lifting in my spare time i might pick one of these up as good training for when i am not pumping iron.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    It's the same price as the LOW end new macbook, but it has the stats of the HIGH end new macbook, so it's technically 500 dollars cheaper. 500 bones is a lot, so yes mac's are still more expensive than the pc counterparts.

I should know, I SHOWED YOU that dag on laptop. MUAUASDH;AFKLEJHFL;ASDJFA;SLDKFJDs... let's hang out this weekend.

poop.gif
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poop you equal dumb!!! i was talking about the alienware not the acer. and yes lets hang out, Ice age 2??
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I know, but I was talking about the Acer. The 8204 is the same stats wise as the 3000 dollar Macbook, but costs the same as the 2500 dollar inferior stats wise macbook.

SO YOU EQUALS DUMB...yes Ice Age 2.

poop.gif
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing about the price, PCs devalue a whole lot quicker than Macs. The mac fandom works in your favor when selling off old equipment.

About these Intel macs, I'd hold off on buying one, still first generation, I'd wait for the kinks to get worked out.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    there are actually no duel core alienware laptops so you cant even compair really

[/ QUOTE ]

Athlon X2 is dual core and its offered with Aurora M7700 and you can get it for under $3000, 17" display is nice too.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my "super" laptop died a few months ago, bit of a shame I can't get it fixed without sending it half way around the world for a 700GBP price tag. It's a dual pentium4 3.2 and would undoubtably kick this macs benchmark into the dust.