Home General Discussion

V for Vendetta.......M for Masterpiece

Jelmer
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jelmer polycounter lvl 17
No thread yet? Just got out of the theatre. Awesome movie, brilliant!

Replies

• Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    God I hope so. Not seen it yet. Love the comics.
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I liked it. They took a few liberties with the story but they kept the central message intact. Not that it matters to Alan Moore...

Hugo Weaving did a great job playing V.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    very good to hear after the whole "Ultraviolet sucks" thing... may try to see V this weekend.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I liked it a lot. Two thumbs up.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, total surprise. I was thinking it was going to be your typical action flick, so I wasn't very interested. My girl begged me to go, so I did, and I'm glad. Very very awesome movie indeed.
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    I saw it last night and it easily makes up for both of the mediocre Matrix sequels!

Marcus Dublin
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Well, it was worth going to the theatre here in OK just to see the audience reaction. They were made pretty uneasy!

The movie had it's weak points but it was worth my $6.50. I would give it a 7/10, with 5 being an average movie.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Would it be worth $9.00?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I get free passes for movies since I know people who work at the theater, but in retrospect I would definitely pay full price for this movie.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, saw it tonight with Poopinmymouth and Rooster, well worth the price, very enjoyable film - and some memorable lines! smile.gif
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    I just got back. It was just average as a stand alone film, and pretty crummy as an adaptation of the comic. True to big budget Hollywood style, there were no gray areas, it was very black and white compared to the comic. The greatest evidence of this was in the ending, which resembled more a Levi's commercial or something than anything the comic produced.

It was disappointing it was not truly an 'uncompromising glimpse of the future' as it was touted ad nauseum.

Even still, V is a very magnetic character and it was entertaining to see him and some of his escapades on the screen.

Two cents.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I agree, it was a masterpiece. The actor's portrayal of the chancellor got on my nerves after a while though.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    So is it going to get banned here for inciting terrorism or anything fun like that?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saw it last night, thought it was damned good. Hell people even appluaded when it was done at the theater i was at hehe.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Thought it was very very well done, loved some of the twists too.

Portman's acting was extremly good I thought as well.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I especially liked the part where he goes off saying words that start with the letter "V".
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah those lines were awesome! smile.gif
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    I enjoyed it... I felt they added a few silly hollywood things that didn't need to be there, but otherwise they stuck pretty close to the book...especially in look and "feel".
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    What a great film. First good movie I have seen in ages.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    saw it last night. i loved almost everything about it EXCEPT crappily portman. man she stinks at acting. i wanted to punch her in the face.
    she should stick to movies like garden state, ones i will never see.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i'll not see it until it receives Rorshach's imprimatur. smile.gif which somehow i doubt it will, but who knows. moore himself has washed his hands of the whole thing and is even trying to get his names off of the original book, too.

interesting interview:
    http://www.comicon.com/thebeat/2006/03/a_for_alan_pt_1_the_alan_moore.html
    http://www.comicon.com/thebeat/2006/03/a_for_alan_pt_2_the_further_ad.html

i'm not a huge fan of moore (though Watchmen will of course, remain a giant for a very long time), but i'm very much not a fan of the wachowskis and company. and they didn't even direct this movie, a second unit director on the matrix sequels did. not the most encouraging pedigree...
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I'm still undecided as I will go and see it as usually when I watched a british story simplified into american terms I find it disappointing and annoying.

I'm meant to be going to see it this weekend with friends after going to the pub but I don't know if I can consume enough alcohol to dull my senses enough to cut myself off from the literature snob in me!

r.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they kept the brit aspect pretty well.. as far as that goes, and as far as how 'brit' the book was. They DO go through a 'prologue' and explain that the mask is of guy fawkes...since that's not exactly American common-knowledge.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guass, that article is GREAT.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Just got back and thought it was pretty good, it wasn't perfect, but a hell of alot better than The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie.

It seems the audience got the most upset during the flashbacks to Victoria's life (the lesbianism). Angry head shakings, people leaving, etc.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    WTF? Why would people leave during that? It's not like it was offensive or gratuitous in any way.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    yeah but its Florida MoP. Perhaps they were all over sixty ;-)

Thanks for the link gauss, that was definitely an interesting read. I wasn't before but Im curious to see the movie now.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, you've got red states and then you've got the Villages, if I hear someone mention "the homosexual agenda" in omenous tones one more time I'm going to crack.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    "The Homosexual Agenda"

*Aims Video Camera..*

Scott
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • rooster
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I have to agree, that movie rocked! It was much better than i had hoped. So many good points in it. The ending had me all misty eyed because of how powerfull it was.

My girlfriends brother asked me when we said we wre going to see it, "isn't that the movie that all proterrorism?" So i'll me making him go see it.

Great movie!
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    I saw the movie with my girlfriend last thursday and liked it quite a lot. I think of it as a mass-market version of 1984. It went into the same direction as Equilibrium. The resistance is real and powerful, the revolution is working and everything is less depressing and disenchanting than in the book. And it has more action of course smile.gifDoes anyone know the comic? How close is the comic to 1984?
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i enjoyed the movie, much better tha the matrix sequels. over all a decent film,, it could definately be considered pro terrorism, v was definately a terrorist. the thing that makes him feel like a good guy is that we consider his government to be bad enough that its ok to be a terrorist. also we feel sorry for his sad past gettin burned and experimented on and all that jazz. the thing that really comes to mind, is how bad does a government have to be , before terrorist become heroes, wheres the line.

i was glad they kept most the hip mtv hollywood out of the movie, cept for the verry end withthe slow mo fight and the knife trails. i coulda done without that.

the chancelor was great, tho john hurt has etched himself into my brains movie greats section by being both the first person to ever have a chest burster pop out of them on film, and to a lesser extent, being hellboys pop.

i think they shoulda shown more of how corupt the government was. everyone looked like they had decent homes, jobs, the city looked nice,, no homeless people running around on the streets, the governmetn looked controlling, but it looked like most of the opresion was gearred at gays and alternitive religions in the film.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    rhinokey, I think the point of the comics/movie was to make you ask that question.. where is the line?

I think the extent of the corruption was evident enough in the first scene where two police officers were about to rape a woman for catching her past curfew..
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think of a terrorist as a person who attacks civilians in order to cause terror. Calling everyone who attacks legitimate government targets a terrorist would mean that George Washinton and the rest of the founding fathers would be terrorists also. I think a better word to describe people who attack their own government would be revolutionaries, freedom fighters or anarchists.

Of course, governments in general now want to call anyone they don't like terrorists. Now in the US some people are trying to pass laws so that gang members qualify as terrorists too. This goes along the same lines as the government waging a "war" on drugs, or creationists calling their theories "scientific". This is a ruse that these groups use to trick stupid people who don't understand their own language. Don't be fooled.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Freedom fighter is just a word for a terrorist that is on your side.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    well, if they attacked civilian targets I wouldn't call them a freedom fighter. That would be my distinction
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Depends on what civilians, no? Aristocrats are civilians but they are often supporting the government and indeed the source of the corruption.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    freedom fighters often times use terrorist actions to accomplish their goals.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I support the government too by paying taxes. So what? That doesn't mean I love it. Rather that I don't want to go to prison.

About freedom fighters; Often terrorists call themselves freedom fighters, but that does not make it so. Some people are both terrorists and freedom fighters, but not all freedom fighters are terrorists.

I think it is pretty clear cut in most places who is employed by the government and who isn't.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    The reason the movie was so powerfull to me is that i see the same ideas being put in place here. I belive very strongly that you should never have to live in fear your government. Even more so for being diffrent. It is our diffrences that make us strong.

The movie was in no way proterroism, it's antiterroism. The government was using terror of the unknown to keep the people just scared enough not to ask questions. He killed those with power who used it only to serve the agenda of keeping up the peoples terror.

The movie shows that people will give up almost everything for the false sense of being safe. If you feed people a lie for long enough they start to forget what truth is. Thats what governments do they sell lies of the greatest order to make you feel safe at night, but scared enough that you will do what ever they ask of you with out question.

To me the line of what consatutes a governemt as being evil enough to make actions against it ok if not heroic, is simple. Any time a government stops listening to the people and starts telling them what they need, thats when. When you have to question wether their actions are for the good of the people or for their own good.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    rooster, i odn't see how 2 police officers raping a girl is a sign of bad government,, its a sign of 2 bad police officers. i guarantee you theres police running around in the USA just as corrupt as those
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    My sister with PHD in sociology said that before any society is at the point of a revolution, it must have food shortages/starvation. Which translates to keep the peoples basic needs well fullfulled.

I haven't seen the movie, but what Rhino is striking on why this is true. Many people wont complain or more, just deal with the fear if they can have their basic daily sustenance.

[ QUOTE ]
    "Does the government fear us? Or do we fear the government? When the people fear the government, tyranny has found victory. The federal government is our servant, not our master!"

[/ QUOTE ]

-Thomas Jefferson
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    rhino, well the incident was mentioned by the government guys and they all understood the circumstances- but they just brushed it under the carpet instead of mounting a full scale investigation into the incident. It does imply that it was an occurance not out-of-the ordinary
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    My sister with PHD in sociology said that before any society is at the point of a revolution, it must have food shortages/starvation. Which translates to keep the peoples basic needs well fullfulled.

[/ QUOTE ]

The American colonies had food shortages and starvation? I don't know that I ever heard Thomas Jefferson had trouble putting food on the table at Monticello prior to the Revolutionary War. Where'd your sister get her diploma from? tongue.gif
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Ok I just saw the movie, and I think it was pretty good. Definitly a lot better that almost everything I have seen in the movietheater lately.

It had a lot of plot holes and goof-ups though, but while usually that annoys me greatly, this time it didn't; which speaks for itself I guess smile.gif

But there is one thing that where this movie fell short and that was it's own ambition. It wants to be up there with 1984 or Fahrenheit451, but utterly fails at that since the makers obviously didn't understand what these masterpieces are really about.
    They build up the setting of a totalitarian regime with all the tricks in the book, up to the point where it was almost to much of a cliche (very strong analogy to Hitlers size of power) and also made a 'rich' enemy in the person of V (who is nowhere even close to the (sinister) idea of a 'Emanuel Goldstein' but it works).
    But all this carefully build up system than collapses as they fail to explain the foundation on what is system bases its power on after the size of power.
    There is no large proportion of the population that activly supports any of the ideals of the dictator (after all he doesn't have any) as in the case of Hitler, nor is there a clever system of though control like it is described in 1984. And there isn't the totalitarian conformaty (which is maybe the most sinister vision of all the genre) Bradbury describes in Fahrenheit451.
    It thus feels hollow in its most interior and left me with a bitter aftertaste of a bad copy.

But maybe I am just an interlectional wanker, who even finds something to nitpick on an otherwise great movie laugh.gif

Edit: But maybe the original work is better in that aspect (I haven't read it yet).