http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060322/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_bars_1

truly a WTF moment

seems getting wasted in a bar is no longer allowed in texas

Replies

• ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Makes sense I guess, I used to live next to a bar and the drunks coming out of that place did all sorts of crap, from walking into the main road and getting killed by cars, to pissing all over our lawn. The usual drunk driving, fights, and such as well. Maybe it'll change things for the better.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I think possibly the article may be misleading, it doesn't actually say how they were arrested - they might have been seen to be very drunk, then arrested just before they climbed into their car so as to preclude accidents.

It seems unlikely that they would just walk into a bar and pick someone sitting on a bar stool or minding their own business, and just arrest them for being drunk. The people who were arrested probably gave cause for it, ie. being excessively rowdy or something.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    I Remember seeing a link to a report from a local news station about this, they arrested the people for being publicly intoxicated not for driving drunk.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    and here i am... in texas... about to turn 21...
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    But really what are you doing in texas? Save you beer money and move to a better state.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    My roommate walked out of a bar(here in Vegas), after having not even finished 1 beer, got in his car and a cop walked up, tapped on the window and was like "get out, your taking a field sobriety test".
    Then proceeded to tell him he failed the test...like WTF? He isnt POSSIBLY drunk, but the cop was like "but IM gonna let you off with a ticket, though I should take you to jail. AND Im gonna sit here until you can get somebody to come pick you up, because you shouldnt be driving drunk"

I say this is a way to increase ticketing revenues. Its a money earning racket. Write 2x as many expensive tickets? Raises for everyone!
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    You should bring me along as the designated driver. Then lets see him try that and ending up on report.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    looks like Texas is messing with itself
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive always wanted someone to make a shirt that said. "Screw Texas, Don't mess with me!".
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ive always wanted someone to make a shirt that said. "Screw Texas, Don't mess with me!".

[/ QUOTE ]

You could probably wear that in Austin, but I would keep that in your suitcase when visiting the rest of the state.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    My roommate walked out of a bar(here in Vegas), after having not even finished 1 beer, got in his car and a cop walked up, tapped on the window and was like "get out, your taking a field sobriety test".
    Then proceeded to tell him he failed the test...like WTF? He isnt POSSIBLY drunk, but the cop was like "but IM gonna let you off with a ticket, though I should take you to jail. AND Im gonna sit here until you can get somebody to come pick you up, because you shouldnt be driving drunk"

I say this is a way to increase ticketing revenues. Its a money earning racket. Write 2x as many expensive tickets? Raises for everyone!

[/ QUOTE ]

you guys don't have a breath test? Little machine that you blow into? Fail that you are drunk.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    It was a motorcycle cop. They dont have a Breathalyzer, only the patrol cruisers do.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You could probably wear that in Austin, but I would keep that in your suitcase when visiting the rest of the state.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to admit, it would be one hell of a way to commit suicide! laugh.gifwink.gif
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    Look at you!
    See! I knew you had a sense of humor wink.gif
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    If they do this in the UK, then next year each police officer will have their own Rolls Royce police car with a chauffeur.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    it should be a blood test. Beathalizers are innacurate. Like in the movie Gattica