Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Photography.. my latest.. (56k warning..)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
Picked up a Canon 350D a couple weeks ago, I'm really enjoying Photography.. first 'real' camera I've ever owned. Also purchased a 70-300mm lens for the camera.

I know it's not standard fair for non-painted stuff but thought some of you may enjoy them... or have suggestions or crits..

bird12.jpg

bird10.jpg

bird.jpg

cockateel.jpg

bird6.jpg

chimp2.jpg

chimp4.jpg

duck2.jpg

eagle4.jpg

meerkat.jpg

lorakeet.jpg

I've got tons more you can see the rest on my site below and clicking "photography"...

What do you think? Decent?

Replies

• Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Nice photos, few crits tho:
    2nd from the top - you should have fit the whole bird on the picture.
    Same goes for the 4th from the bottom.
    It feels pointless to not show like 5% of the bird and gives the pic somewhat rushed and "i dont care" kind of feel.
    And the white parrot could be little bit more in center.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks.. (gotcha on getting whole bird in) regarding the center of picture.. trying to use the 'tic/tac/toe method' they say nothing should ever be centered etc it should be lined up on one of the places where the imaginary lines of a tic/tac/toe board would cross on an image.

I was putting them in the middle until someone said it was a noobie mistake.. also along the lines of never putting a horizon dead center.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I think for the sunshine of the day, you should have brought your white bal down a bit, other than that, very nice.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Wow. This is really excellent work. Photography is a hobby I hope to put more time and effort into. It's a great way to get out and view the world in a different light.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    They call that the rule of thirds. Great color on that female wood duck! My advice would be to sell these, and avoid putting non-watermarked copies online.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coolio.. I've looked at opening a little store on istockphotos... havent' gotten approved yet though. Not sure where to sell them other then there.. any ideas?
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Those are pretty nice Dekard. A couple of those shots do look "bullseyed", but that can be fixed with a little cropping.
    Did you shoot these with film and scan it, or did you add the film DX printing on the side in post?

I work as a professional photographer currently, and I can say that these are very well shot. What sort of lens/camera are you working with? Like 200mm? More?
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shots all taken with a Canon Digital Rebel XT with a 70-300mm lens. The border was just some post production. The original shots are all well over 3400x2400, I just tried to square em up abit so they'd fit nicer in an online album..
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, top notch IMO. I love the colors on some of those birds and the way you framed some of the other animals. I'd agree with the others that you might have the touch for photography.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Great photos! I like 'em!
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    great stuff man!
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, very nice. One crit, on the 4th from the top you might want to crop out the two posts at the bottom. I find them somewhat distracting to the overall picture. Not positive that's right, I'm no photographer myself, however going by what I know of composition they seem a bit out of place. smile.gif

Anyways, awesome photos, I really quite enjoyed them. smile.gif
  • Corry Frydlewicz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Corry Frydlewicz polycounter lvl 17
    The first monkey and the bird with the spiky feathers are going into my reference bin ^^

Nice work. No new composition notes from me
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    very pretty. The colors are all very rich.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Excellant mate, those flamingos' look totally evil, like children of the damned or something.
  • Dark Sepiroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dark Sepiroth polycounter lvl 17
    very nice pictures. very colourfull and what like gavku said
    the flamingos are super evil laugh.gif
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, went back to busch gardens today.. just for shits and giggles.. got some additional photo's..

butterfly.jpg

flamingo.jpg

hyena3.jpg

lion.jpg

lion2.jpg

lioness2.jpg

tiger.jpg

seagull.jpg

treething.jpg

flower3.jpg

hippo.jpg

rollercoaster_bw.jpg
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I really like the second batch. Some of those big cats are great ref.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bah, I hated Busch Gardens in Florida (not sure where you are), but I won't get into that.

Great shots again... you make Busch Gardens actually look appealing to me again wink.gif
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it's the busch gardens in tampa, we bought the fun pass all year for $57 we go on off days check out the any-mules.. and ride a ride or two few times a year we only live about 20 minutes from their so it's quick and easy when we are bored. It would definitely suck as a theme park if you were visiting though.. smile.gif
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    I think the second batch turned out a lot better. The large cats and the hippo are amazing. Good stuff.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, maybe do some resarch and figure out who does print promo (brochures, etc) for them.

Stunning work. Makes me miss Tampa. You should get check out the manatees at Lowry Park.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    damn! If i wasn't blowing all my remaining cash on a holiday i'd be straight out this weekend and buying a decent camera ...

these are excellent. Not a fan of birds at all, but some great pics ... that one of the lazy chimp is a cracker.

Would love to see more photography on these pages, i'd put some up myself but the digital camera i bought a while ago (not cheap) is just shite. D'you mind me asking what you paid for your new kit?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I was staying with some people at Belle Air bluffs along the coast, and decided to hit a theme park. They wife thought Disney would be too expensive, so we hit Busch Gardens. Even with a discount coupon, we paid about $20 less than we would have at Disney... I think it was $120 for me, the wife, and my two daughters. Their ages were young enough for special prices.
    Anyways, right after we paid, we see a sign further in that says that severe weather is predicted, so you may want to return a different day. We continued in since we had already paid, and about an hour later, a monsoon hit. Damn thing went on for another hour. When it was done, it took the park about 45 minutes to restart the rides and dry things out. We got onto the train to go around once, and when we got off, we were told they were closing the park early because of the rain, and we had to leave. Didn't make much sense since everything was already dried out. They didn't seem to care when I stated my complaint either.
    So basically, I paid $120 so we could see the bird show, pay $10 for some pizza, and ride a train. It wasn't encouraging wink.gif
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, some of the pictures on my page are from Lowry park zoo.. Combination of Busch Gardens and Lowry park zoo.. I had some manatee pictures but they weren't too great because they were feeding so the water was full of cabbage and all hazy.. laugh.gif

Here's some of the other pics:
    http://www.astrochimp.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=32

The camera is a Canon Digital Rebel XD Kit, it came with an 18-55mm lens for $800, I purchased a second lens for telephoto which was a 70-300m lens with an image stabilizer for an additional $500, but I've heard good things about the cheaper Sigma lenses too..
  • character
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    character polycounter lvl 18
    man, such rich colors. those flamingos in the first set look friggin evil!