Home General Discussion

the problem with 'tech' these days

Replies

• Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Vig, like Daz said, with predictive text messaging, it really doesn't take long. I can type and send "party at 8, between 45th" on my phone in less than 15 seconds. How is that a big waste of time?

Have you ever phoned someone when they're at a party or in a noisy area and can't work out what the hell they're saying? You just end up shouting "What?!" into the phone - with text messaging you can just read it, no trouble.

I'm not one of these people who sends text messages to everyone all the time ... but sometimes it's cheaper, easier and faster to just send a 2-line text message with vital information, than it is to actually call someone.

Seriously, it's not as bad as you think it is.

[/ QUOTE ]
    it is bad when someone decides to text you all the time instead of calling, because it's 10 cents a text and 13 cents a minute, but you end up sending 15 texts back and forth and their contents can be said in 30 seconds.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    In Montana we have a rule "as fast as conditions allow".

Let me guess, most drivers just drive their favourite speed with blatant disregard of the conditions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and all Americans lack self control and common sense and in general have low intelegence like you have always suspected. =P

Actually from what I hear montana with its long stretches of roads and very little traffic has a lower accident rate than the national average. The only reason the fed hasn't stepped in and forced it to put speed limits in place are because it is so safe. But you go right on thinking everyone here is a moron and doesn't know to slow down when its foggy or there is ice on the road...

Also to the rule is "don't drive faster than the conditions allow" hefty fines the posalbity of loosing your license await those who drive thier favorite speed limit no matter what. They will nail you if you pass too many cars. It is up to the officer at the time they pull you over as to what is reasonable and prudent. Montana also uses planes to nail unsafe drivers so you never see it coming.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    Who has a "favorite speed" anyway? I imagine that most drivers in Montana probably just don't even bother looking at the speedometer. Why would you, when there is no set limit? I notice that sometimes when I drive for long periods without checking my speed, I actually end up going slower than the speed limit sometimes.

What I'm wondering is how they ticket you. In California, when you get a speeding ticket, your degree of punishment is determined by how much over the limit you were going. How do they quantify that when there is no set limit?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Let me guess, most drivers just drive their favourite speed with blatant disregard of the conditions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and all Americans lack self control and common sense and in general have low intelegence like you have always suspected. =P

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not uncommon to see drivers speeding at around 55 mph down small residential roads where you normally see children playing and folks are in no hurry. The last two streets I lived on had to install speed limits because of this. The 25 mph street I'm on now is patrolled heavily. These morons are often chatting on the cell and/or shoving a Biggie Fry down their throats. Of course, they have radar detectors installed...so no worries for them. And I can point to the sections of America where most of this habit comes from, but I won't.

I'm interested in a device I recently heard about, that installs in your car, and at the push of a button shuts off cell phones within a small radius.

Technology defeating technology.