Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mosque

yeluis
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
yeluis polycounter lvl 17
doing a quick mosque, heres my progress on it. C&C welcome.
1.jpg
2.jpg

Replies

• EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like a good start. Although I don't know much about environment modeling; your geometry would be easier to read like this:
    mosque0iw.jpg
    It may help you decrease the polycount too. And as you're modeling a mosque I think you'll like Mimar Sinan's works, especially Selimiye and Suleymaniye if you haven't already checked them out.
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    EmAr, he might have kept it like that for texturing purposes. Much easier to just texture half an arch and instance it a bunch. Same number of verts = same number of polys.

What you've got so far looks good. Have any reference?
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, i did it like that for texturing purpose. my reference pretty much is any decent picture i found on google. mostly using the blue mosque for reference.
    3.jpg
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    messing around with the lighting almost there i thinlk. let me know what you think
    4.jpg
  • Steakhouse
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    yeluis: This is starting to look really interesting. How far are you planning to take it?
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    im planning on sticking to the patio for now, maybe add more structure laghter on. Where do you suggest I take it?
    heres another update

5.jpg
  • Steakhouse
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, I didnt realize it was an outdoor shot until I saw the most recent image. What I meant by "how far" was, how complete do you plan on making the scene? Will there be plants, fountains, tiled mozaic patterns, etc?
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    well im only gonna do the patio part, im breaking up the wall space and i think i will add some mossaic work , not too much. and some plants around. although im putting off the plants for last. but hey im always open for suggestions
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    heres the update on this. i think im going to remodel the pillars, at least the capitol (not sure this is the correct name)
    6.jpg
  • Clos3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Clos3d polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Looks like a good start. Although I don't know much about environment modeling; your geometry would be easier to read like this:
    mosque0iw.jpg
    It may help you decrease the polycount too. And as you're modeling a mosque I think you'll like Mimar Sinan's works, especially Selimiye and Suleymaniye if you haven't already checked them out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Emar is right. Even if you do it for texturing purpose you can't do that in-game. Vertex paint will screw this.
    Everything look nice tho=)
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

Emar is right. Even if you do it for texturing purpose you can't do that in-game.

[/ QUOTE ]

what wont work in game? the texturing or the lighting?
  • Ninjas
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    He means the lighting. It will "pinch" were the lines converge
  • Clos3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Clos3d polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Emar is right. Even if you do it for texturing purpose you can't do that in-game.

[/ QUOTE ]

what wont work in game? the texturing or the lighting?

[/ QUOTE ]
    He prolly did that just for fun. I never used a game engine who didnt need vertex paint in addition with the real time light. Collapsing lots of vertices like that give a weird shading over the polygons around.

One other thing I learned but can't talk much about it because i am no programmer is: Engine calculation is longuer when many edges collapse together, even if there is less polygon, the engine will take more time to calculate.
    I got this as explanation:
    cylindre.jpg
    Supose that you are doing optimisation and you can save polygons like I did on the right. The one on the left will be ''easier'' to render for the engine.

This is according to programmers here and a conference I went at the Game Summit.
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    that is very interesting clos3d. never would have imagined that. I have been aware of the lighting issue hith topology like the one i used. I learned it the hard way when using unreal. Even though im targeting game content i also wanted to keep the cuts like i would if i was just modeling. Ive had a few crits on my wires from previous stuff where i have "unnecessary" or "inefficient" cuts. thanks for that info though. keep those comments and crits coming
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    heres todays progress. kinda slow but i think its getting there. So much to do so little time!!
    7.jpg
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, that's looking very cool. I like what you did with the columns, the extra detail made a big difference. Are you trying to style to a certain era though? Or just your own style?
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    not really going for a style/era. just trying to do my thing. but i wouldnt call it my style though. main goal is to make it look as best i can while constrainign it to game specs.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Just curious if you were going for ancient egypt, or something more current. You may want to look at some reference columns to see how they did their columns back in the day wink.gif But for a game, it propably doesn't matter THAT much wink.gif
  • Steakhouse
    Offline / Send Message
    I would suggest changing the railings you have by the door to something more akin to the arches. Something thicker, more defined, and less "Disneyland Que Gate".
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    totally agree with you, im jsut giving a few things a try here. but those mickey gates aint working
  • carakong
    Offline / Send Message
    carakong polycounter lvl 17
    nice work, no crits really, just maybe the doors could have some sort of pattern on them to make them more interesting
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, i agree with more design to the doors but u havent added any doors yet till now. I messed a bit more with the lighting. i think ill leave it as it is right now. im using default lights from max and scanline 94 lights in scene

8.jpg
  • Steakhouse
    Offline / Send Message
    Is something going to go in the wall next to the right hand door? The blue/white line continues on without going down like something should be there.
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    I think i will stick some wall lamps. so one would go there. but i think I will fill in that space with the paint as well.
    here is the progress. I am getting into the final stages of this baby. At least I hope Im there crazy.gif
    9.jpg
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    ok well begining the last round with this. i had some problems with the alpha for the plants yesterday, that was a nice waste of time but its all fixd now. Those domes have been put off long enough i think so time to attack them babies!
    I tried a render between mental ray and scanline, i think i will stick to the scan line. test
    10.jpg
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    Well this is just about the final image. Hope you guys like it. Scene is 17165 tris and using about 13 256x256 textures.

11.jpg
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    looks great.

minor peeve, looks like the arch stones are sunken in from the walls... which is opposite as to how I understood they were made.
  • Striff
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Hey that looks great yeluis! Are you using any normal/bump maps?

It would be good to see some other angles too! =)
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot Sectaurs and Striff.
    The walls are coming out of the arches, i originally had them going in, but after a few suggestions and seeing some reference i feel this looks better and a lot of real mosques have it. I am using a few bumps, only one normal for the domes and some speculars. I will give you guys the official final shot tomorrow along with another angle.
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    well its about time to call this a wrap. Thanks everyone. please keep those comments comming though. smile.gif
    mosque2_1.jpg
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    another angle, for the people that asked for it
    mosque2_2.jpg
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I agree that the arch stones sunk in look weird. I just don't see it working so sharply, especially at the points. The textures work, though they are so basic they could be procedural in most cases. Seems like you could put more love into the textures to enhance the way they are used in the environment. Also, what's up with those light things on the horizontal beams? They don't appear to be textured, and it's unclear their purpose.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd prefer a more over bright, early afternoon, high contrast lighting. Something like this:

maybe.jpg

I'd also look into some post processing, (light haze/fog, dust, distance blur, etc.) to take advantage of your rendering. A lot of these are real time features anyway.

Pretty good overall, add that extra pop to the scene, and I think you could have an exciting piece here.
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    fixed it up a bit. I was going for a more washed out look. thanks a lot anyway cholden.