Home General Discussion

D&D online. anyone played/playing it?

seantree
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
seantree polycounter lvl 18
Just did the preorder thing and am waiting for the client to finish dl'ing. I know it is lacking some content(from what i've read) but hopefully the dev's will fix this with updates after release. I'm really hoping it's not too terrible as I need a break from WOW and something to tide me over til warhammer online. so, if anyone is playing or has played, what were your impressions?

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    played it for a couple hours with so coworkers, we all deleted it afterwards.
    weak world system, no parties, etc..
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    yea, I played it briefly but it didn't hold my interest.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    looks great in the screenshots. Is it available for everyone, or only beta signups?
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    if i'm correct a number of polycounters worked on this game as well smile.gif not me though.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Saw at pennyarcade.

Wasn't that engaging and misses one of the main points of D&D. The gamemaster.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    The only real D&D online is Never Winter Nights 1 & soon to be 2

Graphically I see a few cool looking things but overall it seems like the artists were not all on the same page . How do you screw up a game that has so much refrence material ? Why are the graphics lower resolution then Final Fantasy online which is already years old ? I guess everyone is hoping to cash in on the WOW craze .
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    no. have been trying to download it since the new preview went up. it will only download for abut 15 minutes then pause for about 30minutes. finally got a good connection to Fileplanet yesterday and let it download while i slept but it only got to 990mb before the download ended so i couldn't install. then tonight i let it go but again it got disconnected. so far this week i've waster maybe 40+ hours trying to get this stupid thing. poly127.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    That's why I believe large files should ALWAYS have a Torrent available...
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just got finished lvling a halfling rogue to 2. seems fun so far. I hope they sort out the content issues and some UI nags I have, but overall I think I'm going to spend some time with this one. Nothing beats a halfling rogue sneakin about nailin mobs with sneak attack. Another thing I enjoy is the character creation. Seems to be open to several different builds (like the PnP game). Hopefully it'll hold me over while i break from WOW til the expansion comes out. That is, if i can stay away from it that long.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's supposed to be playable ONLY in groups?
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    no.. it's like guild wars, every dungeon is instanced. It's mini-mmo. You guild up take your 5 buddies to a dungeon by yourselves. I have a preview key that starts on thursday night for 2 days. I also play d&d occasionally, so i'm sure i'll hate it.

If they really follow 3rd edition rules, it would take ages to level, and the cap would be 20th level, as that is considered 'epic'. I'm guessing it's just like every other mmo. Everquest 2 looks better, and since every mmo was the same to me, i chose that as my time waster.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Actually, they fiddled with the lvl'ing stuff so it wouldn't take hours to level, but would seem somewhat true to the pnp game, from what I understand. I played the stress test for about 5 mins (it was the holidays and I got on a weekend I had company. wooops.) The world seemed odd and the control scheme and UI seemed very confusing. I will probably give it a while before I consider picking it up.

Also, from what I understand, you do have to group, you can't solo anything and can't go into instances alone. Is that correct?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I worked on that! I have no idea if it's good to play or not, though, as I haven't played it.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I got the preview that starts tomorrow, so we'll see if I dig it. I hope it doesn't suck.

Mop: Oh cool, what did you work on for the game?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Various models and textures ... armour sets and costumes mainly.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I downloaded the 2 gig preview as well. And I'll be giving it a go tomorrow night, I'm going to try it out, but I really doubt it will hold my interest, but I need to try it anyway, because MMO's are just so damn alluring to me.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    getting the high-res version from a friend through DCC in MIRC. completely steady download rate. 1.33gb in 9hours. 6.5hours left. crappy fileplanet tongue.gif
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hit file planet 3 days ago, free servers at 1.2 megabytes per second. Yes Megabytes, thank god for comcast...
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just hit lvl 2 with my rogue. Took about 10 hours total. I'm just wishing I would have taken dual wield as a feat from the get go :/ It seems to me that Turbine had better have some big updates coming for this game or it's gonna die out quicky. Damn shame too. I mean how can you take the biggest license in role playing and have a lackluster release product. Seems to happen to those titles with big names (swg comes to mind). Anyway, lvl 20 is coming in an update along with prestige classes, or so I've read. we'll see.
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    I've been excited about this game... until the Beta NDA was lifted and I started hearing things I didn't want to. But I d/led the preview client last night and I'll try and play a lil bit on saturday.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    i did a little model/texture work for it too. i'll probably take a look at it because of that.

so is this out? i thought it was supposed to come out in feb.

MoP, what's the deal? do you know if we can show our stuff?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    It's kind of funny that WotC is running ads making fun of MMO's in favor of the table top game, something along the lines of "if you're going to pretend you're an elf you might as well do it with your friends"
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's a 2 day fileplanet preview and a 10 day preorder promotion that is goin on now. Release date is still late Feb. Just finished one of the longer quests this eve. none have been really challenging save for finding a few traps and hidden doors. It's funny watching an anxious party member go gunning through a doorway, not heeding warnings, only to be burnt by a burst of fire from a trap. I have to say I'm impressed with some of the characters textures, especially the faces. Some quality work there. Grats to you guys who worked on it if you had anything to do with those. most of the armor models look sweet also.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    I've been playing since the beta and I've enjoyed it so far.

You can solo if your character is good enough, and there is nothing in the way preventing that. In fact, I often prefer smaller groups of 2 or 3 people because it's easier to work together than having 6 random people humping doors.
    That being said, you will generally level faster with groups, because going solo is a lot more challening so you will be paying more for potions/wands/etc.

The combat is pseudo-realtime in the sense that you right click to attack, and you get 2 or 3 swing combos as you level, but there is still a timer so it's not a clickfest.
    On top of the standard affair of clicking to attack, classes also get special attacks on timers that you can work into melee, like Trip and Sunder Armor, and those types of things.

As far as the art goes, I love it. It lacks a single style, but individually the artwork is impressive, and it all works together to form a halfass realistic look to the game.
    My favorite artwork are the armor models (aside from the sky dome smile.gif ). There are so many different armor models for the same item, to the point where I've looted 10 different sets of regular run-of-the-mill half plate, and so far none of them have looked the same. It's a welcome change from the standard fare in MMOs, where every longsword looks exactly the same.

So yes, I like it. Will I buy it? I'm still undecided. I'm trying to get a feel for how much content there will be when I hit the max level. So far I have 3 characters at or around 6th level, but I get the feeling that I am running out of things to do soon. The whole reason I play MMOs is because the game doesn't end, so if DDO ends at level 10 then that rather defeats the point.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    screw this freaking game. nothing i have done has enabled me to download it properly. 5 days i've wasted trying to download this.

first Fileplanet was downloading like crap. i tried for two nights to get it from there. checking the DDO boards i see someone say that Firefox/IE have problems downloading large files of 1gb+.
    then yesterday i tried getting it DCC from a friend over MIRC. download was going fine until i went to bed where about the time i fell asleep the DCC aborted. we resumed the DCC early this morning and it finally finished downloading. only when i go to install it says 'dndonline.exe is not a valid archive'. checking my filesize against my friends shows mine is a larger file.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'm sick of this too. I cant even create an account.

In firefox I get an Invalid security text.. which i've done 30 times corerctly. And in IE I get invalid game code. Which I've done 3 times with different codes. Fuck this. It's not worth it.

Edit: Note the link to create an account is wrong for the preview event on the launcher. The signup is at:

http://billing.beta.ddo.com
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weird, I use firefox, and I've downloaded it, updated it, and made an account with no problems at all.
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    same using FF. no probs at all. just started a Ranger and have to say i hate the fact that they auto reload the bow. it feels terrible. I also don't like the fact that they are constantly going through the reload anim(reach for quiver) when you are attempting to open a chest. UGH!! back to the rogue i guess
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmm...well I start everything up...all servers are down.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Durring beta testing, I'm shocked...
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well yeah. how can we test it if it's down? It's actually not a beta. It's post beta preview. And I got rid of it.

If you guys want an involved mmo, nothing has beat eq2 for me at least. There is a free trial of the isles thing. And I can say that the trial does'nt come close to how cool the full world is. I say this now, but I know in another 25 levels i'll get bored again.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EQ2? Man, WoW wipes the floor with EQ2 and all the other MMOs except for EVE.