Home General Discussion

Robo Hordes/Blitz Demo Unreal 3 Engine

Downsizer
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
While I was not impressed at all with this demo, I thought I'd post a link to the download to those interested in UE3 technology. It will only run on HT or Dual Core processors.

I'm on a 3.2ghz HT P4, 1GIG DDR2 533mhz ram, SATA HD, Geforce 6800 PCI-E 256meg Video. And this thing CRAWLS on 800x600. It's not even anything special. Very small environment, minimal physics, minimal polycount objects. I don't understand how this shows off HT or UE3 tech at all.

Some sites are calling this something different. The installer and game say Robo Hordes, some sites say Robo Blitz. Naked Sky Entertainment developed the demo.

3D Gamers Download Section

Edit: For those who can't run the demo, there is a video on this news article mid way down the page:
Gamespot Dual Core Processor Review

Replies

• CheapAlert
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It will only run on HT or Dual Core processors.

[/ QUOTE ]

only intel pentium 4 ones infact

RETARDED
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    i downloaded it, played it for 20 seconds, uninstalled. You'd think with the use of the unreal 3 engine, they could a bit more effort into graphics. The normal maps were blurry and pixelated. (geforce 6800 GT) the small evnirovment didn't really off the engine well. Hopefully, more games will come out as demos that use the technology better.

• Kraftwerk
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like stupid crap, people without skill should not dare to touch an advanced engine like UE3. Seriously even beginners do better stuff with Blitz 3D.
  • Gmanx
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Installed it, played it for about ten minutes. UE3 is incredible - it can even make a new game look like a mid-nineties shareware title. Astounding.
  • EarthQuake
    I dont really have any clue what you guys are talking about here(No links? thanks...) But im pretty sure its safe to say you're gonna see tons and tons of games that license very expensive tech like UE3 and have absolutly no clue how to use it properly. I think what really makes Epic's UE3 games look amazing is probably about 20% tech, 80% fantastic awersometastic art assets. You cant do anything good without good art, thats the bottom line really, good tech will never make bad art look good.

[edit] OH whoops, theres links lol.... I dont remember seeing links when i read it last night.... hahaha
  • Scott Ruggels
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Post deleted by Scott Ruggels
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Can someone just post the screenshots so I don't have ot bother downloading it.
  • acc
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    So much misplaced criticism. I seem to recall some discussion from the Naked Sky (who made it) about how small teams can still make games without millions of dollars by not killing themselves with inappropriately massive artistic requirements. I don't expect it to be understood on an art forum, but not every game has to be a super-amazing-art-extravaganza. Or maybe you'd prefer EA bought out the entire industry so the next 10 identical installments of Robo Blitz will look nicer for you, and die horribly after they can't make profit due to their ludicrously large budgets?

Hey, did you hear about that gameplay thing? I heard games can be "fun", whatever that means.*

And here's the real kicker. It's an Xbox 360 Arcade game. Expecting store shelves, were we? How about a target of a 50MB download for the final game, in full. Suddenly, small environments and blurry textures don't seem so dumb, do they?

You should blame the community for screaming "UE3! UE3! UE3!" every time the game is mentioned. Gee, an engine is just a tool? Wow, you figured it out all by your wee little self. How clever, congratulations. Next year maybe you'll make it to elementary school so you can be a big kid.

Is it inappropriate for them to use UE3 instead of UE2? Maybe, but it wouldn't have gotten them nearly as much attention and I suspect the investment is going to pay for itself in that respect.

Naked Sky Entertainment's business plan: 1
    Polycount: 0

*I haven't played it, I just thought it was interesting that not a single comment in this thread mentioned gameplay.
  • CheapAlert
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, now try saying that with a single core or an AMD-powered computer.
  • Downsizer
    Offline / Send Message
    acc, play it before you post opinions on it. and try not to be a jerk.

the gripe is that this is a next gen engine, and even WITH the reduced art and gameplay assets this title is extremely slow. The game itself, gameplay wise is more basic then you can imagine without playing it. There is no point to it at all so far it seems. The only thing I found remotely interesting was the grapling snot ball thing. Litteraly, it's a box robot on a ball, and you shoot other balls, and hover disc things, over and over. There is no evidence of gameplay at all acc, hence why we hav'nt commented.

It is what it is, very dissapointing. I dont see why the speed is so lacking, or how this demonstrates anything at all, even game wise. It looks and plays like a programmers test.

I meant no ill will on Naked Sky, I just think they need serious work on this before releasing anything else.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    well... unreal 3 engine is extremely nice, I have seen some very very mediocre looking assets looking great in that engine... so I'd say theres a more than 20/80% beakdown, for example if you took all of q4's assets and put them into u3 it would look soooo much better.

but yeah to make something thats really breathtaking you do need good artists. thats about all it boils down to, its just that people that are working with U3 have the advantage of having their work genrally looking better than anyone elses cuz of the tech.
  • EarthQuake
    Yeah that may have been a slight exageration on my part, but it was to prove a point =)

Acc: dont be such a dick.
  • Keg
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    acc:

this was a tech demo, not a gameplay demo, they were showing what they could do with the tech and that isn't very impressive.

IF I was an admin here I would ban your dumb fucking ass from this forum.

I would suggest that the next time you feel an urge to express your asstastic moronic oppinion you should actually play the demo/game and read the thread before you post.
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I can't run this because it's a tech demo for hyperthreading in P4's. But it looks alright. One thing the Unreal3 engine has that sets itself apart is an amazing team of artists showing it's potential. The engine itself is just lines of code with the ability to create stunning visuals on today's hardware. It's the artists that really promote it. So I don't expect every offering on the U3 engine to have the same stunning visuals as the UT and Gear of War series. And it seems most PC gamers aren't prepared for the amount of processing power the engine will require, depending on how scalable it will be. So it would be wise for smaller studios to decide whether it's worth using this type of technology so soon without really using all it's possibilities. As they may not use enough of the engine to justify it's cost. :P That said, I really can't wait to see a console fighting game using this tech.

acc: you need to get laid...big time.
  • Downsizer
    Offline / Send Message
    eh, well i'm sure he does'nt know that most of us are NOT the fanboy types, and we are actually looking at the demo from all aspects. I dont blame him really.

I took a fraps reading off this thing at 800x600, my avg FPS was 12.. I'm thinking this may be more for the dual core than HTT, or perhaps the PhysX dedicated card. I have no idea what is making this little thing crawl so bad. i don't know why I care so much either.
  • Frank
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    For fuck's sake, people.

It's Unreal Engine 3. NOT 'Unreal 3 Engine.' Get it right!

Frank the Avenger
  • Downsizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Since everyone wants to be a prick, close the thread please.

Frank. English is very easy. Unreal 3's Engine IS unreal engine 3. It's possesive, and can be used as posted, forgive me mighty god of missing apostrophes.

Close this garbage. Last time I post something of interest.
  • sonic
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    lol, I'm pretty sure Frank was just messin around Downsizer...

I downloaded it without reading only to find out it won't run on my AMD64... I hope the engine isn't optimized mostly for dualcore/multithreading.
  • CheapAlert
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Unreal 3's Engine IS unreal engine 3.

[/ QUOTE ]
    except, there is no Unreal 3.
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    or so you think wink.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Would be funny if they released Unreal 3 using the Unreal Engine 4.