Home General Discussion

Game features gone?

CheapAlert
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
Notice how many new games don't have shapable (as in not relying on a flat water level), swimmable water now? it's like they only have water to show off some reflection gimmick of the engine

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Silent hunter 3?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I noticed while playing Serious Sam 2, they didn't use water at all. There's a few spots where there is water such as the beginning of the game, but not used at all like SS 1st or 2nd encounter.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I've bitched about this for years. We can render normal mapped crates in a dark hallway dynamically, but can't get anywhere near realistc water. There are those jetski racing games, FarCry, and Mario Sunshine, but those are all stylized or unique in someway. It really needs to be part of the gameplay to be done well. And that requires creative ideas...which is limited in the FPS genre. I was disappointed with Source engine's water, and may be with Unreal3 as well...since UT2k4's is very limited with no LOD system.

PotBS is doing a nice ocean swell in their game.
    http://www.burningsea.com/images/screenshots/sshot30.jpg
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    waverace 64 for the N64 still to this day has the best water i have seen.. not so much visually, but the way it behaved with the jetski was really amazing.. i am still waiting on a game to surpass it. i think water is possible, its just never a huge part of any game and i can imagine the physics involved are more trouble than its worth. i have a feeling once physics cards hit the market there will be a more standardized solution for handeling water, like normal maps. rumor has it unreal 3 engine has some type of pysical based water system in the pipe.. guess we have to wait and see..
  • Vermeulen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vermeulen polycounter lvl 18
    waverace for the gamecube had better water, basically the same system as waverace 64 but with reflection and all that.
    Most developers seem to just ignore water now, if they can't pull of the same effects as source or farcry they just take it out of their game completely.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    another missing feature in games nowadays:

Spikes.

Rememeber the old sidescrollers? There were spiked death thingies EVERYWHERE. Spike pits, spike traps, gigantic rolling spikeballs... and my favorite, the WALL of spikes that would chase you through a level.

Think about it. Contra, castlevania, megaman, ninja gaiden, double dragon.. stop trying to remake them, just look for the common trait: Spikes!!

SCRgb23.gif

actually, I know this sounds like it's half joking, but I'm also half serious. Games nowadays take themselves too seriously when really we all just need a good few random spikes to be impaled on.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I miss spikes too. Wasn't there a spiked pit in Mortal Kombat 2, maybe 3, that was part of a fatality. That was awesome.

We need more side scrollers, and platformers, running off new engine tech. Awesome graphics, same great gameplay.
  • Major Clod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Major Clod polycounter lvl 18
    Quake 1 had a quite a few spike traps if I remember? Spike walls, spike pits? Well I don't know about spike pits, but there were definately moving spiked walls. Its been a while
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    the prince of persia series has spikes in it.
  • Bort
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Bort, I was totally thinking that.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Even Sonic has less spikes these days, now it's all instakill lasers or bottomless pits.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I remember when I got Waverace 64. It was amazing to just move around and watch the water. Of course there were only 2 games at that point so I was pretty bored. Personally I could use me a good grappling hook in a game.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    grappling hooks like BIONIC COMMANDO?

now THERE'S a game that needs to be remade.

and it had spikes too.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    *shameless plug*
    Kim Possible 2 and 3 for GBA has a grappling hook.

Something I miss is the ability for a second player to join in the middle of the game. I know some games still do it, but very few. But then, there aren't really any action games that are 2 player, nowadays, are there? I'm thinking old school Contra and such. 2 player games are ususally FPS, sports, fighting, or party games.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninja Five-O (GBA, Ninja Cop in Europe) had the grappling hook and the game rocked.

The only cooperative join-any-time game that I've heard of lately was Lego Starwars, I agree, we need more coop.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    Well, a game that does actually have features that are fun would be cool enough..
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    XIII had a brilliant grappling hook (although a little limited). Hair and fluids are the true next-gen - and we're nowhere near yet.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another feature that has died is semi non-linear levels. In games like Doom, Quake, Descent, etc you didn't follow a single corridor from beginning to end (as you do in Half-Life), you explored an actual map that had multiple pathes to many goals.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, and I also missed the cool "shortcuts" that are made from near the start of the level to the current progression of the level.... they don't make levels like those anymore having to go through a long stretch to catch up. frown.gif
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    for co-op my favourite recent game was zelda: 4 swords. just a total party game even in the single player story line cause you could still be total pricks to each other.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Even Sonic has less spikes these days, now it's all instakill lasers or bottomless pits.

[/ QUOTE ]

And they gave the black Sonic a friggin glock. Knuckles was cool enough with being able to climb walls and glide, and spin. So many gameplay elements there. Atm, they're just throwing old sonic characters into boring 3d games.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    for co-op my favourite recent game was zelda: 4 swords. just a total party game even in the single player story line cause you could still be total pricks to each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ely: I was talking about Sonic Rush with that bit, seems to be the only good Sonic game lately.

Four Swords has the problem that you can't play it with regular controllers...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Four Swords has the problem that you can't play it with regular controllers...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah asking nintendo fanboys to plug thier GBA into thier cube, was asking too much...
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, you'll need more than one fanboy to supply enough GBAs and cables to play that. I only have one cable (used to have two but lost one, the first one came with FFCC) so those friends would need their own cables even if they could borrow a GBA from their brother or sister.