Home General Discussion

Lost Planet

Replies

• Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty sweet, Poop, but it's still on a console.

Scott
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks good but like scott said its on a console =/ The good news is its one TINY step toward me buy in a 360. Now they just need a keyboard/mouse controller and about 9 other games that are interesting and I might buy a console sometime in 2015.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yah, its on a console... so? I don't get that comment.

Anyway, the game looks fantastic and I'm with Ben - the video got me excited. Awesome story and GREAT voice acting.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [rant]
    It's on a console so I will more than likely miss out on this one. I wasn't ragging on the game. I was commenting on how sad it is that I won't be able to play this one.

Because I don't plan on buying a console right now becaue there are so few games, so few in supply, the cost is so much and the holidays are so close. I don't fell like spending my entire christmas budget on myself. Call me greedy but I think it is important to give gifts on xmas that don't come from the dollar store. On second thought I am sure my family would love to come over to my house christmas morning and watch the 360 daskboard for a few hours. Which is all it would do in my house since they have yet to put out any 360 games that really grab me.

Also the first gen of just about every console is flawed in some horrible way, hardware wise.
    [/rant]
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Usually if it's on a console they have to make up for the slower controls that are associated with an analog devise used as a look. On mice you can just spaz out and flip yerself around quickly. On an analog stick you can either look slow, or less slow(unless they have sensitivity settings). So, to make up for that, they usually dumb down the difficulty settings, and where they'd be placing bad guys to make it easier for the analog stick. Then they might as well put in an auto target into the game, and now it's no longet about aiming skill, and it's just a button mashing borefest. Vid does look good, I'm just hoping they didn't spend all the cpu cycles on all the silly effects like blooms and fur, and left out room for some interaction that could make it stand out from the rest.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Looks neat, makes me wish they did a Starship Troopers-esque bug swarming game right with powerarmor.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    mmmm looks very fun.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Vig: Yes burt it's the perfect time to get a current gen console, the bargain bins are filled with great titles and the hardware is dirt cheap (88 Euros for a Gamecube with included game?).
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Precisely, Xenobond. Console controls, in my opinion, just flat out, plane suck. t's abotu button mashing and reflexes rather than precision control and flexibility. I dislike console controls, intensely. about the only console with good controls is the Nintendo DS, with the touchpad.

Scott
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Consoles have precision control. Try playing Kururin Squash and you'll really start to appreciate analog sticks (or play Kurukuru Kururin and imagine how much better analog control would be). They're just unsuited for shooters. Analog sticks make stuff like driving or movement much smoother while making aiming harder. But most games I play have lock on anyway so manual aiming isn't required. Usually you have to concentrate more on dodging than shooting in those games.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    KDR- It's a different kind of precision that we are used to on PC shooters. On a console, it may be fine for a soccer game, or what not, but you need to be able to go through a much larger range of motion from slight adjustments of your crosshairs from a sniper rifle to compensate for the bobbing they put in, or from making a yank to turn yourself around 90 degrees in a split second to shoot an oncoming attacker.

On the other hand, with the revolution controller you could get that response. You can hold the directional controller in one hand, tilt it slightly to aim, or whip it to the side to get the guy coming up on you with a shovel. XD
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With a mouse I move the move to a point and it stops and stays until I move it again. It moves as fast as I want it to, almost instantly I can place it on what I need to. With an anolog stick you hold the stick in a direction until it reaches near the place you need it to be then slowly return the stick to center to keep it from moving. Most of the time you spend time counter correcting due to over correction. It's like using the nintendo power glove.

You can't simply place the targeting reticule on an object. You tell the crosshair to wonder around in a certain area and hope it auto locks on to the right object. The 360 controller is a big step forward but its still 30 paces behind the mouse.
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    I always find it funny when people complain about lack of console control. For a good game, the player must feel that the controls work for them. I never felt robbed of precision in Halo2, and I love the way you feel in control in Forza and Super Monkey Ball (GC).

If they just dumped a PC game on a console, then you might be right to take issue with the way the controls feel, but as this game has been designed to be played on a console, with a joypad.

Besides, you would never be able to swing a rifle around and score headshots like you can with a PC FPS in real life. I don't think spines can twist like that, and your feet will get all tangled. tongue.gif

Anyway, the game looks good. I've been neglecting the Capcom output of late, I really must get Resi4
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    That looks cool as Poop. Character work is fantastic. I don't know why, but I get the feeling that the gameplay will be a lot shallower than one would hope for though.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone else mistake the title picture with Resident Evil 4?

I thought it was a photochop of Leon at first. d'oh!
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Wow game looks cool.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs: True. But then again they're both made by Capcom.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great. All the environments and effects are well designed. I'm hoping there is less movie elements, and more gameplay than the trailer implies. I'll probably never get into it as it is a console. An FPS feels odd from a console controller. If only someone out there could design a 3D sensor control device that would make targeting feel more natural, where aiming could be done autonomously from the direction of the players torso. But who would allow something like that to be possible? Oh woe is me.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like it is a 3rd person shooter, and they always seem to work out better on the consoles as far as movement controls go. Aim is still iffy...

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I prefer games with lock-on on the console. Well, except for Resident Evil 4.
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    looks phat dope to me, word
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    That looks cool as Poop. Character work is fantastic. I don't know why, but I get the feeling that the gameplay will be a lot shallower than one would hope for though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because nearly all Japanese FPS's have shallow gameplay? I'm holding my breath on this one.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because nearly all Japanese FPS's have shallow gameplay? I'm holding my breath on this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what the video showed, the orignal mechwarrior looks like it has more complex combat than this game does. Aim at badguy, hold the trigger down.

Game certainly does look awesome though. I'll wait on reivews for it
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, the game looks like it could be cool. When the guy shoots out the leg of that bug, or whatever, but then it keeps coming, looks like it hints at some cool possibilities in gameplay. However, in the face-shots of the main character, he is so damn expressionless! Just a bug-eyed stare into space.

[ QUOTE ]
    From what the video showed, the orignal mechwarrior looks like it has more complex combat than this game does. Aim at badguy, hold the trigger down.

Game certainly does look awesome though. I'll wait on reivews for it

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, just because a game has a simple mechanic, doesn't mean that it's shallow. Resident Evil 4 (first thing I thought of, since KDR mentioned it) has a simple weapon mechanic (aim and shoot), but there's so much around it that makes it a great game, and I'm not talking visually. Also, simple mechanics are usually better, imho. Easier to pick up, so more suited to a casual crowd.
  • drakino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drakino polycounter lvl 18
    I grabbed the trailer off the 360 Live Marketplace, and definitely will be keeping more tabs on it. While I also have control issues with games like this on a console generally, I am getting better. There are some decent FPS/3rd person shooters for consoles that I'd like to see, so somehow I'll get used to the controls.

Mech games typically get my attention quickly. If only more games used this:
    tekkicnt02.jpg
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Wow...That's the best looking game i have seen for the 360 as of yet.

I'll get my boss to pick it up for 'research'