Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My Pals :D

Miguelito
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Miguelito polycounter lvl 18
Hi all,
Finally here's my 1st post laugh.gif. I started a personal project called "My Pals"...
Well here's a WIP of the 1st one. Say heelloooo to Markus:
marki8sc.jpg
testrendernov290gw.jpg
markidiffusewip3am.jpg

The texture is resized from 1024 to 512. I think the shading of the face is quite final, probably the nose and the eyes will need some tweaking. The hair is at a very early stage.
He is supposed to get a spec and simple normal map. I just want to subdivide the model an add here and there some detail. Hope you like it...

Cheers

Miguelito

Replies

• poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Nice job man, I can definately see a likeness. I'd suggest trying to match more of the color variation you see in the reference images. Also it seems a bit low in the contrast area. Unless you have most of those details modeled in (a wireframe shot, and smooth shade without texture in the viewport would help) the texture doesn't seem to have enough details.

Cool project, and keep us updated as you do more.

poop.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Cool! looks like you've got the forms down pretty well- what I'd do now if I were you are some close comparisons in photoshop of your ref and your model. The main thing that strikes me is the colour. I don't know how you're going to light it, so that may take some responsibility for the difference- but then again it'd also be good to give a pimp pic with the lighting conditions you're aiming for.

Heres a little overlay, the dots are colour taken from the photo on corresponding areas of the face. I think that even if you've brightened it to take into account lighting and dont want to darken it, I'd make the face tones warmer. Again, dunno about lighting but the eyes are also quite glowy.

colourcomp.jpg
    I really like the work though, how about wires?
  • Miguelito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx for the response! I'll try to push colors and contrast.
    Here are wires and smooth shaded shots! I think that the side of the nose could use a few more polies...
    markismoothwire4sa.jpg

Cheers

Miguelito
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    The geometry is great and the texture is nice, one glaring thing I see wrong is the bright eyes, give em some shading along the tops otherwise he's got that child molester stare! ;D
  • Makk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makk polycounter lvl 18
    I think you could push your texture further. The main gripe at the moment is the "bright eyes" and I would desaturate the skin as its a tad bit bright as well.
    I did a small paintover to show you what I mean.

paintover.jpg

I pretty much just selected some of your skintones and added around the iris.
    Desaturated the whole thing.
    Added a wrinkle above each eyelid
    tweaked the eyebrows to match the photo a bit more
    added some grey to the jawline area, red to the nose/cheeks and yelllow to the forehead.
    Also I dont know if the hair is finished yet but added more browns to it as its really dark at the moment.

hope this helps smile.gif
  • Mr Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Ray polycounter lvl 18
    Makk did a good paintover smile.gif

I did a lil paintover over makks painterover, i was looking at the phot and the front view seems to have insufficient light compared to its side view so i cahnge the levels to match the side view more.

Makk's is pretty much spot on but it jus seems too light, i played around with the levels in the skintone and darkend his iris. Hope it helps
    raypaintover.jpg
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Are your eyebrows really that thick that they demand their own transparency planes? It looks pretty good from what I can see, and use that paintover wisely - looks a good job which should help you. Those planes on the eyebrows could be better spend giving the hair some more volume. I think a key problem is the modelled hair at the front. Whilst it does give it some immediate depth, it also seperates the face and hair TOO much. I'd go back and model up to above the forehead, then do a bunch of alpha planes to get the thickness of the fringe. 3-4 good planes should do it, imo which should give it some realism.

Good job, keep it up
  • Miguelito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update:
    I mostly worked on the hair (which is still WIP) and tried to push the skin a bit.
    testrenderdez20em.jpg

I think the hair will be finished soon, then I'll concentrate on detailing the skin smile.gif...

Miguelito
  • Mr Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Ray polycounter lvl 18
    You need to add some more stronger blond highlights to his hair, make the hair darker as it goes down aswell.
  • Miguelito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:
    Reworked the hair and added some details to the skin. I'll focus on making suitable alphas next. I'm not sure but something still bothers me about the likeness...

testrenderdez34fj.jpg

Miguelito
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Darken the eyes, lose some saturation in the iris, get some highlights in there.
    Pull in the eyebrows from the center and more to the corners of the eye,
    some eyelashes or darkening around the eyes could make it more similar to the photo.
    The skintones are still too bright.

Needs more dark and more red highlights in the hair,
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    This looks really good Miguelito. Im not sure about how necessary it is to use alpha for eyebrows. Personally I'd probably just paint them on, and use alpha for eyelashes instead.

However, my main crit is one of fundamental shape in profile. In terms of the geo, I think your models forehead is too far forward. Looking at the ref, it's almost like you could take a four cornered lattice to your model and in side view skew the top left over to the right a little. Know what I mean?
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    looks really good. these types of things can be very difficult.

my onion:
    - the profile is a great place for you to focus on in correcting some of your mistakes; the bridge of his nose is practically straight. his upper lip, nostrils, back of the neck, and brow could use some angle, scale and position tweekings.
    - get those alphas for the hair and eybrows in now, it will help reveal areas you do not agree with when you have correctly proportioned eyebrows and hair to help gauge other proportions.
    - put in the warm pinks seen in his reference from his nose and ears, they will really help define him. getting those colors in the right areas are as affective as getting the shapes right, you'll be surprised, especially how little things like that will affect a face.
    - easy on the shading on crease of the upper lip, the actual skin looks like a darker value inside of the crease, rather than shaded. unless you plan using different maps, i would consider chosing a light source to help comunicate subtle forms in his face better, such as the lumps at the corners of his mouth. the texture is at an ideal point to start adding highlights, i liek to take a painting in at low contrast with mid range values like you have here and begin droping in solid dots of dark browns/violet and light yellow/blues
    - and i'd take the zit off his chin, unless you perfer it. some friend you are rubbing it in like that! tongue.gif
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    It's the eyes. not only the eye shape (they drooop a little to the sides more, but they also look a hair too close together, but the single biggest problem owth them is that the Irises of the eyes are too smalll Go back and check the reference, Not how much of the iris is covered by the opper lid. Also the Orbital arch, just below the eye is the wrong shape. Check the reference again, His doesn't follow the shape of the eyelid crease, but spirals up, and nearly flat under the brows. Also I think his eye sockets maybe a hair deeper. Also note, in the photos from the front, his neck is straight up and down, rather than tapered as you have it, and it effects the impression of his jaw line, which seemsa bit stronger in the photos than on the model, though the over all shape is good. You may need a bit more contrast in the hair highlights and shadows.

Hope this helps

Scott
  • Miguelito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey ho,
    thx for all the comments! They helped a lot!
    Well, I think I got his likeness quite well now. Added alphas etc.
    Now I'm going for the inside of his mouth smile.gif.

testrenderdez62ko.jpg

What do you think?!

Miguelito
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    little red in the ears. darker hair in the back. the brow seems a little over emphasized. looking great smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yep looks great, very good likeness.
    KP makes good points about more red in the ears and darker hair at the back.
    I'm also thinking the head shape is not quite right in the side view - the top/back of the skull is not the same shape as the reference - also the line of the neck seems odd, it shouldn't really curve forwards like that as it goes down, I think.
    The front view looks fine but I think the eyes are too high up, check your profile for that, you seem to have too much space between the base of the nose and the eyes if you compare the images.

That said, I'm being really nit-picky - anyone looking at that model and texture who knew the guy would instantly recognise him.

Very good work. Keep it up! smile.gif
  • Miguelito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yo,
    added a simple normal map and a spec! Well he's quite finished now. I want to do the next one smile.gif

testrenderdez94lm.jpg

Miguelito
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    com,in along nicely. I suggest to have the FOV merged, since close-ups are mostly done via zoom. Also put the camera more on the height of the eye line.
    Besides that, good work. Well done. Lips should be a bit more blue/magenta smile.gif
  • Miguelito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again,
    well Markus is finished so here's the next base model: say hellooo to Max. He's at very early stage especially the hair... but I'm already quite satisfied with likeness in the front and side view.
    maxref3ht.jpg
    testrenderdez116ys.jpg

I told him not to smile, hehe...

Miguelito
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    The side reference seems to be not at a perfect 90° angle, thus making the face turn out too flat.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I think most of his features need to be a bit wider.

Most noticeably the nose.
  • weevilman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weevilman polycounter lvl 17
    Nice rersult on the first model, looks great and the second one is coming along nicely. The texture could still use some work around the brow area specifically the eye brows themselves Here's a quick paintover to show what i mean I hope you dont mind.
    testrenderdez94lmpaintover0no.th.jpg
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spider2cool polycounter lvl 18
    i think it is looking real good. "miguelito" does your abuela still call you that? lol, my abuela still calls me that, and i am 22. my name is Miguel, also. nice to see I am not the only one that likes to work in the 3d modeling stuff. look forward to seeing your other works.
  • Miguelito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx for the hints guys. Already made the face a bit wider and reduced the "flatness". Going to unwrap him tomorrow.

@spider2cool: lol, actually Miguel is not my real name laugh.gif. Miguelito was my nickname during my online gaming period laugh.gif. Thats all smile.gif
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spider2cool polycounter lvl 18
    thats funny. interesting how a silly kid name my grandma gave me is the nick name for another modeler. well hope it works for you, lol
  • Miguelito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey again,
    here is the basic shading of Max. The colors are still not final. I just want to make sure that there are no major mistakes smile.gif.
    testrenderdez142me.jpg

Hope u like it.

Miguelito
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i would fix the lips, cause they seem a bit off, i would also apply different skin tones as well fixing the nose ( perhaps a softer transition )
  • Miguelito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heyho,
    so update time again!! Max is almost done. Unfortunately I have some serious problems with his curly hair...very difficult to get right frown.gif. Colors of the eyes are temp...
    What do you think?
    testrenderdez175xk.jpg

Miguelito
  • Zeldrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrik polycounter lvl 18
    Hey looking good, I like the new lips.

However I think this one is suffering from them same eyebrow problems as the first model, they look pasted on. Thats what I was trying to say with that paintover (was at a mates place and accidently posted under the wrong name) i think you need to closer observe the shape position and thickness on your ref.
  • Miguelito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yo,
    I had some time to finish Max. Worked on the hair, added simple normal map and spec smile.gif. Right now I'm working on some accessories laugh.gif

testrenderdez274fk.jpg

Miguelito