Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First attempt at ZBrush

Xeto
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Xeto polycounter lvl 17
Hey all! I'm going to be making my first attempt with Zbrush. I’ve been meaning to teach it to myself for a while now. I’ve modeled a head off of a face that has a lot of character to it that I will be putting on using Zbrush and trying to finish up. I wanted to post the model itself before I put it in Zbrush so that people can see the progress and critique me as I go. If you have any info on getting Zbrush tutorials or just know something, please let me know be brutally honest with everything. I need to learn this program! Thanks guys! It’s greatly appreciated as always!

render.jpg
wirefront.jpg
wirequarter.jpg

I know he has no ears or hair I'll be pluging them on later!grin.gif

Replies

• JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Isn't it extremly critical to have it all quads for zbrush, or am I making things up?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    It's a good likeness so far, the mouth and nose are very well done but the eye shape seems to be lacking something, maybe just not wide (horizontally) enough.

JKMakowka is right - if you're gonna take this into zbrush, you'll want the mesh to be all quads if possible. Having triangles like that on the forehead is only gonna cause problems later when you're sculpting, they'll appear to pinch and look odd. So yeah, find a way of making those loops terminate into quads instead of triangles smile.gif

Keep it up!
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    quads for zbrush is vital

r.
  • Xeto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xeto polycounter lvl 17
    I thought of that as I was posting the pictures up here about the quads. Those will be very easily fixed, thanks guys!

render3.jpg

No more tris, but if you think this isn't a good way of getting rid of the tris to get it ready for Zbrush let me know. cool.gif

[Edit] Woops, saw the tris on the nose there and took care of those... now no more tris... blush.gif
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Actually, zbrush is very linient whe it comes to that. If there are any problems with the faces, zbrush fixes them for you anyway. Besides, zbrush has problems with faces with more that 4 sides. It finds no faults with Tris.
  • Xeto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xeto polycounter lvl 17
    Neeto! I just got home so now I'm gonna take her in to Zbrush and play!! I'll maybe bring in the old version with tris too to see how it reacts and let everyone know.
  • Xeto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xeto polycounter lvl 17
    Ok, this is after messing with Zbrush for about an hour. I screwed up a few times fiddling with the buttons trying to figure out commands. I'm starting to understand a bit though.

zbrush1.jpg

I think I'm really going to like Zbrush, I found sculpting with my Wacom was very easy. Different but really fun! laugh.gif

Oh, and do you guys know how to get rid of that black mark by his eye? I accidentally painted that on when pressing CTRL I think its an alpha map thing?
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    hehe just ctrl+drag outside of the model (just select nothing) and that'll get rid of the alpha mask that you accidently painted. smile.gif

Be careful when your working though. smile.gif be sure to work each division level to its fullest before moving on. Good start. smile.gif
  • Xeto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xeto polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, I've started to realise that he doesn't have THAT many wrinkles. I kicked around with it a little more and then nearly killed myself figuring out how to make a normal map but I got that working too so now I feel good about future workings with Zbrush and normal mapping. I'm going to start over in Zbrush with the head again and then normal map again and texture it. See if I can get it looking better. I need some sleep ooo.gif
  • los
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    los polycounter lvl 17
    I was gonna say before you take it in to Z brush, pull the upper eyelid's out, you still could on the lowest cage setting
    -los
  • Xeto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xeto polycounter lvl 17
    That's a good idea I'll do that. I just bringing the same head into Z brush over and over to get the way things work down before I start getting crazy with it. confused.gif