Home Technical Talk

zbrush/max bug

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
I discovered that if you export your low poly mesh from max to zbrush, subdivide it, then you get a smooth mesh, but with not much of the shape of the low poly mesh ie it kind of melts a little.

To get around this, you can reimport the original low poly mesh and replace the lowest subdivision. This has the effect of giving the zbrush highest subdivion more shape/definition, paricularly where there are creases

My worfklow is to import the mesh to zbrush, work on it till you are semi happy with it, then reimport the low mesh.

don't know why this works, its just a bug i suppose

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    No, I don't think it's a bug - just that ZBrush deals with smoothing and control meshes slightly differently to how Max does. You could try hitting the "Cage" button on the lowest sub-d level after you've sculpted a bit, and see how that looks.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    ah ok, will give that a try. man I am loving z brush these days.
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    Me too, but I want to beat the interface designer to death with fish, ressurrect him and then kill him with fish all over again.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    its weird , as i really like the interface and never had a problem with it. I must be odd
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i with you ruz.. i dont see what people are having such a hard time with.. i use 3 tools for pretty much everything i need to do.. i am not sure what is so hard.. is it the pressing of the pen to wacom? or holding of the shift key? maybe its the double hard combo of holding the shit key AND pressing the pen on the tablet.. casue that is pretty much all i do with it.. there is canvas area, i bring in my model and i paint on it.. thats it.. what are people trying to do with zbrush that the interface is getting in the way of? took me all of one day to learn 99.9999% of what i use zbrush for now.. sculpting..
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah thats pretty much my take on iu.I use std brush with z ada or z zub, plus smooth. Started using the projection master stuff too.
    i just can't seem to go wrong with it at the moment
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Its so fun that you import your mesh then for some strange reason you cant edit it, after doing it for few times you can edit it but then you think "hmm.. lets see what all those buttons do" and then its hell as the bloody thing gets stuck on canvas or something and you cant edit it anymore, thats usually when i have quit ZB to not cause any harm to myself or my stuff...

What i want to do is:
    a) import the model (no dragging, why the fuck i would want to drag it and get it not straight)
    b) edit the model
    c) export it

I dont want it to get stuck in the canvas or i dont know what the fuck else why cant it be like 3d app interface where you have a model that is a model that doesnt get stuck and that i can edit any fucking time i want even if i have more than one model on the scene.

Ok maybe my frustration is to do with me not understanding how this bloody thing works but come-on cant they make a decent startup tutorial that would actually explain why the fuck the thing works as it does.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    If you want it straight hold 'shift' when adding your model to the canvas. then press 'edit' button.
    if you don't it gets flattened to the canvas and becomes 2d. If that happens clear the layer and add your model again

another tip is press the 'local' button then you can rotate around your last brushstroke.
    if you 'scale' in local mode then it scales towrds wherever you are painting.

you can paint masks with 'ctrl' brushstroke.
    clear mask is ctrl shift 'a', erase mask is 'crtl alt' brushstroke.
    go to stroke menu and increase mouse average to 3 or 4 to get smoother strokes.