Home General Discussion

Quake 4 demo available!

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Remember the days when ID would have beta demos out before the game was released? Not after the hype has died down.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    ah cool, grabbing this now thanks
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Not really blown away enough to make a purchase I don't think. Dunno what I was expecting though, not much seems to impress me anymore. Graphically it feels significantly lower quality than Doom3 I think. Partly in terms of quality of actual assets, but somehow they feel cut down too even on high quality. Textures feel low res and there are messy seams etc all over the place. The game feels a bit lacklustre and lifeless I think, but I dunno, this was a pretty short demo.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    GAH REQUIRES SSE FUCK YOU QUAKE 4
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    here's a link that doesn't require membership to download--as well as a handy bittorrent link:
    http://www.3dgamers.com/dlselect/games/quake4/quake4-demo.exe.html

Daz: agreed... personally i think formally it's a step back from Quake 2 in a lot of ways, the designs seem a lot more scattershot in their design and execution.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Just played it myself. Surely a good game for someone who isnt really aware of the best games out there, or just starting out on FPS's.

It was a step back for me also. Maybe full game gets better, but at this point ive lost interest.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    YUK, normal plastic oily tech Pooness

[/ QUOTE ]
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    Cheap. I built a system that runs q4 at 1280x1024 on high, for 700$ bucks. Your telling me, that you have a processor... completely incapable of SSE which is YEARS ancient tech. Dude.. I have a few old notebooks around the office 1.8ghz, 512megs ram, and a geforce 440 go 64meg card that we sell for 50 bucks. I'll see if I can snag you one. PM me a reminder I guess. I just feel sorry for you. I've seen you on the boards for years, I cant fathom you hav'nt had an upgrade since.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    actually this tbird 950mhz runs everything i run (THAT RUNS, including doom3 at 1024x768x32 on high) on it fine. I've completed modern games on this and I don't want notebooks as they tend to wear out easily for me. Bad thing is getting a upgrade now means a big chain reaction of upgrades especially for the AGP-scrapped mobos which are needed for the AMD64, forcing you to buy a expensive PSU and a high-end video card (6800-7800 screams high to me, currently using a fx5200 right now). The slightly older processors such as AMDXP's don't seem to sell at most major places anymore (probably because they're not up to the store's "standards", how come I never saw that awesome PX-716A at newegg? Because i'ts not 52x? [/whine])

SSE may be years ancient tech from 1999, but AMD hasn't implemented it until late 2001 or 2002 in their AthlonXP lineup. I never buy Pentium III/IV/etc.

q4, 3dm05 and fear are the only show-stoppers so far. (Well Fear can't install dx9c aug edition, q4 just marries sse and doesn't even want to work when even genericsimd option is forced. raven turned to the dark side?)

• gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    This classic CheapAlert moment was brought you by Little Debbie Snack Cakes and the year 1997!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    it looked bad,
    they said it was bad,
    it's horrible.

what is this shit
    disgrace to the quake heritage, i say
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    thoughts on the quake4 demo......

Opening was awesome, real-time normal mapping minus the wet look. the single player, 2 levels in the beginning. Firefights were good and engaging, background animation and stuff going on was incredible in the trenches level. Graphics look amazing, compared to Doom3.

Deathmatch is kinda lame. Not as fun as Quake 2 or 3. You'd think with the doom3 engine, they could of made the game a bit faster. The classic weapons are back and some new ones. The railgun doesn't seem as accurate as the original, and rocket jumping seems to be harder to pull off.

I'll get it for the single player experience when the price drops, but I'm happy I got FEAR first laugh.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Graphics look amazing, compared to Doom3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait. Um....you mean that as in, way better than Doom3? Seriously? Er, I just ran them both back to back to make sure I wasn't going nuts, and I see no contest. On high settings both the quality of Art assets and rendering ( e.g texture, normal map resolutions etc ) Doom seems far better than Quake4. Doesn't it?! ( visual design is of course superior in Doom too but that's more subjective )
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    Hands down, Doom wins... -art direction-, designs, textures, lighting.

RTCW2, PLEASE be good. Raven: get a [better?] art director.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    especially for the AGP-scrapped mobos which are needed for the AMD64, forcing you to buy a expensive PSU and a high-end video card

What the fuck are you talking about? I'm running an Athlon 64 socket 939 and the thing runs a plain old AGP graphics card an ATX PSU. Or are you still stuck on an AT PSU?

Oh, I get it! You're Strong Bad! You'll get a new computer when Lappy explodes!