Home Technical Talk

scale in max

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
hawken polycounter lvl 19
right one for you gods out there.

can I rescale things in max to a relative dimension?

IE, select item, tell it I want X to be 25cm and it rescales uniformly? I've not found a rescaling option in max yet except for using percentages.

Replies

• Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    You can set how large 1 unit is from options if thats what you mean but you have to calculate by hand i belive.
    Or if the unit doesnt matter as such you can create a box that is the right height and scale your model manually to fit the height.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I'd probably do something like Toomas says, except I'd make a box of the precise dimensions I wanted, then use an FFD Box modifier on the object I wanted to scale, turn on Vertex Snap, and just snap the FFD verts to the corner verts of the box.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    That works in max, Per, though to a VERY limited extent. You can only use divisions. So if you put in a box dimention of "100/50", it will come out as 2, etc etc.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, you can type calculations into the little pink Listener box at the very bottom left. It should give you the answer below it.

However, I noticed some oddities - try "4/2" and it gives a weird symbol. However, if you try "4/2.0" it gives "2.0".

Try stuff like 4.6*((cos)20/pi) - works perfectly. Using the form cos(20) also works. Read Max's help file, just look in the Index for "Expression Techniques", it gives you all the parameters you can use - it's a lot more than just multiplication, division, adding and subtracting smile.gif

Also, if you've got a new Box primitive or a new Sphere primitive, you can do stuff like:
    $.length = 256/1.5 and
    $.radius = 25*pi respectively.

Enjoy! smile.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I came upon this little problem when getting entries for the polycountville thing. Some were odd sizes due to the import process. Would have been so simple to have a little transform box for actual sizes, not scales.

If I could have typed 500cm for X it would have been very nice.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    per: have a look at XSI, you're allowed to use mathematical computations for values.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rescale World Units utility, read up on it. Will do the whole scene, so scale each scene before merging them.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    import / merge

slight difference smile.gif
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry... Import one file, use Rescale World Units, save as a Max file. Repeat with each house. Merge results together.