Home Technical Talk

XSI+ZB+PS pipeline viability question

Toomas
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Toomas polycounter lvl 18
Heres the deal:

Modeling base for highpoly in XSI (Foundation)

Finish the model off in ZB2

Paint diffuse in ZB and PS (first serious question, can you bridge PS and ZB without buying any plug-ins? Or if you cant then what plug-in one would have to buy?)

Export the mesh back to XSI and build low-poly cage, bake down normal map (can XSI do it well??) and diffuse and GI and base for spec (can you render them down to lowpoly cage? remember im talking about the Foundation).

Finish up the textures in PS.

Rig the model in XSI (does it come with decent animation tools??)

Its the only sub $2000 setup i can think of (im in Europe so Adobe rips almost $900 for PS CS2 mad.gif , is there any other 2d package that would fit into this pipeline?).

So my main question is, would it be viable pipeline?

BTW whats the deal with XSI not allowing free camera rotation while modeling? (it caught my eye in some forum)

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    photoshop cs1 or photoshop 7 - you can easily get fairly cheap LEGIT ones from ebay.

I bought my photoshop 5 off ebay for about 40 quid a year and a bit ago.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But how is the license thing handeled? I was reading the EULA and it says both buyer and seller have to write Adobe that they want to transfer the license etc. (essentially because they have to allow resale of licences they make it so bloody diffictult that it is almost impossible).
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Paint diffuse in ZB and PS (first serious question, can you bridge PS and ZB without buying any plug-ins? Or if you cant then what plug-in one would have to buy?)

[/ QUOTE ]

http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?t=029628

Works farily well, just remember to save the changes you made in PS or they won't "stick".
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Toomas: Are EULAs enforceable under Estonian law?
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont think so but the legal system here is more like guilty untill proven otherwise so i dont want to test it.

Anyways if i would buy used Photoshop can i still upgrade it? And if so how old version i could upgrade to CS2?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    1. can XSI do it well??
    2. can you render them down to lowpoly cage?
    3. does it come with decent animation tools??)
    4. would it be viable pipeline?
    5. whats the deal with XSI not allowing free camera rotation while modeling?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Yes. I'd recommend version 5 tho, they seem to have improved it.
    2. Yes, and with the Ultimapper in 5, that's all pretty much streamlined into one window.
    3. It comes with the best, intregrated into the software instead of an extension, and non-linear. The animation tools themselves are worth the price.
    4. Sounds like the perfect pipeline. XSI accepts the PSD format, so while texturing in PS, just save and XSI will update the texture on focus. This can be done while viewing the DX viewport, so all those extra maps can be previewed in realtime.
    5. I don't know what you're talking about. I think the camera tools are excellent.

I picked up version 6 of photoshop on ebay for less than $100 USD. I feel it's all I need. Any version after that feels buggy and bloated.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    it's a very viable pipeline and especially with xsi 5's improved zbrush support.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Yes you can upgrade it - I emailed Adobe at the time, and they told me I could upgrade. The upgrade is around 1/4 of the price of the full package, so you can pick up a sealed boxed version of 7 for about £120 and upgrade to CS2 for £140 and still save £200+

This kind of thing is common:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Adobe-Photoshop-5-5_W0QQitemZ5835106581QQcategoryZ80254QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Legit.

There are however about 10,000 pirate versions that flood Ebay. Just search by price, highest first.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    If I went freelance tomorrow Toomas I'd go with this exact setup yeah.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the info.

Just one more thing, is the XSI model comparisson on softimage site correct? What i means is that they havnt "accidentaly" left out some stuff?
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    toomas: it's correct.