Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Red Orchestra Character Texture Material!

Polygon
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Polygon polycounter lvl 17
Hello everyone,

As I said in my portfolio thread, much of my character texture content on my site is pretty outdated. After the announcement of Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45, I'm pleased to show some of my texture work for the German and Russian infantryman models we currently have on our site. The models were created by Dave (Sanzliot) and textured by yours truly.

The models and textures themselves are also extraordinary in the sense of how accurate they are to their real-life counterparts. Over the summer, I purchased an entire Russian and German uniform/field gear set to assist in authenticating our player assets, and the results speak for themselves.

playershoot1.jpg

playershoot2.jpg

playershoot3.jpg

playershoot4.jpg

Replies

• Fordy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fordy polycounter lvl 18
    Personally I have no crits and that first picture looks superb!
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Looks great man. One little thing though is that the eyes look a little dry. They need a highlight to give them a shiny look.

For the model one thing I do sometimes is create a seperate smoothing groups where the jaw meets the neck. That way the game engine doesn't shade so dark under the chin.

Keep up the good work!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    They look really good. The authenticity looks pretty spot on to me, since I've modeled a German infantryman and done a lot of research myself, but Scott Ruggels will be along shortly to give you the all clear ;-p

As for the look of the textures, along with what monster said, I feel they could have benefited from painted in shadows. Under the helmet ( unless the helmets come off of course ) the tops of the whites of the eyes ( always helps to get rid of that stark starey eyed look ) , arms within sleeves, under packs and accessories where they rest on the body, that kind of thing. Minor nitpick really though. This is high quality stuff.
  • Polygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, the player models aren't necessarily static in that sense. So the shadow concept, while effective, isn't exactly applicable here.

I've also seen your German Infantryman, Daz, it was quite spectacular smile.gif
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Really nice work, and I was pleased to hear about the announcement today... well until I read that it is a Steam release frown.gif
    I really loved the original RO, but without a non-Steam, Linux version I will not be able to play it, which REALLY sucks mad.gif

Any plans to release a non-Steam (maybe Linux-only, to please Valve) version, please?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I didn't mean hard edged direct sunlit shadows of course. Just soft ambient occlusion, exactly like you have on the tunic under the harness straps there, but strangely not under the ammo packs. But If you have interchangable parts or something, I can see why you didn't further that principle. Anyway, like I said, minor nitpick. Great stuff.
  • Phobos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phobos polycounter lvl 18
    Sexy as always Poly wink.gif
  • Mit Gas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mit Gas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The models and textures themselves are also extraordinary in the sense of how accurate they are to their real-life counterparts. Over the summer, I purchased an entire Russian and German uniform/field gear set to assist in authenticating our player assets, and the results speak for themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

You enjoy praising yourself, huh?

It's looking very nice but I would make the faces/necks a bit less dirty. When I look at the first pic, his face appears blurry and undetailed due to too much mud in it.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Everything looks good apart from the faces... They look too... I dunno, wrong. Like the old MoH faces used to look. Really "not real".
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    On the uniform...
    (prepare yourself)

No complaints.

Good authenticity, and it really does help to know what the gear "wears like" to get that extra edge of authenticity.

Two notes though.
    1.) as others have said, the faces need a little work, Not a lot but a little. Do the helmets come off when the soldiers are shot, or do they stay on. If they stay on, you may want to hint at, as Daz said, some Ambient occlusion faking for theshading of the helment, usualy from the upper third of the nose and the entority of the eyes and upper half of the ears and the back ofthe head totally.

2.) The Societ Uniform is perfect, but it's also an early war uniform. For after may of 1943, you want to go to a pocket-less gymnastorka, with pogari (shoulderboards), and the m-40 steel helmet was a lot more common at that point. Also there are special winter uniformsthe paded telogreika coat, and ushanka fur cap. The long coat was not the first choice of veteran frontoviks in combat, but they bept them for "sleep wear. The German Uniform went through chagnes as well after 1942, but that is less of a concern.

Daz The Ammo Pouches were reflective of the Weapon that the German Soldier Carries, So I would think that they would swap with the weapon, which is why no AO around them as they could be small like the rifle pouches, or large like the StuG44, or MR40 pouches. That's "excuseable". :-)

Scott
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    In the top pic he does kinda' look like he has a light bulb inside his helmet, hehe. Nice work though. smile.gif
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Damn nice work. This is one of my all time favorite mods. Glad to hear about the Steam thing.

Love the Daz to Ruggels alleyoop for the dunk!
  • Polygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You enjoy praising yourself, huh?

It's looking very nice but I would make the faces/necks a bit less dirty. When I look at the first pic, his face appears blurry and undetailed due to too much mud in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't being self-serving if that is what you are implying, just highlighting what I feel is a positive and important aspect of our character work. Many titles disregard uniform authenticity so I felt it was appropriate to emphasize that in my first post and its impact on the artwork.

Secondly, the Soviets did not immediately abandon the M35/40 uniform combination with the advent of the 1943 "gymnastorka" tunic and trousers, so it's logical that one would see the former uniform being used consistently throughout the entire war. I'm not disregarding the idea of it in the mod, just saying this is what we agreed upon for the general appearance.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the eyes are too wide and thin and it throws off the entire look of the face.
  • CMB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CMB polycounter lvl 18
    You seem to texture your faces like you texture guns and uniforms.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    Helmets dont come off in RO, though they do change to possible hats.

playershoot1paintover9do.jpg[/url]

It might be worth putting the shadows on the face as a shader (like the shield effect in UT2004) that only activates when the helmet is worn. Talk to your programmer about it.

Just look how more sexy he is with the shadows, eyes more narrow/lighter and lightened desaturated chin.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    Very good work in general, especially on the uniforms! But EarthQuake is right, the eyes have a very odd shape and make the whole face area look rather cartoonish. You could basically stick to Moz overpaint to get a neat result: Less saturated areas, better eye shape, some color variation and maybe some sweat highlights here and there.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    Crap, I can't find that image someone made ages back that showed the 3 colour tones you should have on a face. I'm not a skinner by trade so I don't know them off by hand.

Anyone know what Im talking about?
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    no, the one with colour variation on the face, 3 sections. there was a big discussion about it (I guess a year ago)
  • Polygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, I think you should also bear in mind that this is the Unreal 2.5 engine. Meaning that the lighting tends to be extreme, saturating the texture and producing some off key shadows around the model. Actually, many of the faces are desaturated just to compensate.

I agree however the eyes need to be less polygonal and more naturally shaped.
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
  • Polygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the diagram, I'll keep that in mind.

That custom shader you were describing Moz also sounds intriguing, I'll be sure to mention that to some of my other team members.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    Could be a neat way to do pain skins too

(torn clothing/flesh from explosions, etc)
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    hey dude, very nice work smile.gif i quite like the cloting in the first pic especialy. it's a shame, but i'd say that the modeling doesn't hold up to your texture work.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    I have to agree, that the texture work is better than the mesh. The helmet needs work. We, however, don't know what the polygon busget is/was.

As the the Soviet Early War/ versus late war. I'd think having a mix of both, as well as having appropriate weather related gear (telogreiki and ushanki as well as white cammo and whitewashed stahlhelms) would add to the authenticity. Also, Soviet Guards Armour and Guards Rifle units would have the "latest and Greatest" and would display the post Stalingrad Uniforms, just as the Germans would start displaying War economy measures such as unpleated pockets,web replacing leather, and lace up boots with gemaschen replacing the pull up marschenstiefel boots. (IF you need a modeller, I am gonna be laid off in a few days..) Little touches would add to the authenticity, just like adding T-34/85's only After January of 1944, or IS-1's only after September of 44. or the phasing out of Panzer Mk II's by 1943, and the introduction of the King Tigers late in the war.

Scott
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    most of the tanks are all set appropriately according to when the maps are set currently.
  • Surgey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surgey polycounter lvl 18
    Hi Poly! It's Surge. laugh.gif

Nice texturing, but yeah, having a shadows from the helmet would be sweet. Maybe even put the shadow as an alpha thingy on the helmet; I've seen it done on some alien gunslinger model....