Oblivion xbox360

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
hawken polycounter lvl 19
dunno who the environment artists are... but they are gods, behold!:

obx02B.jpg
obx13B.jpg
obx12B.jpg

I'm not too fussed to play the game but would enjoy to watch it being played.

Replies

• Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    The plant/tree stuff is procedural!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Yup, they use SpeedTree.
    Still looks hot, though smile.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YEAHZ A MIDEVIL DEER HUNTZOR GAME!!!111one
    Lets hear it for photo-textures and SpeedTree, they do make for a hot looking game.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    Procedural yes, but they were sent to study as told in the demonstration videos on bethsoft.com
  • Spoon_of_death
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon_of_death polycounter lvl 17
    well those trees look reall nice on those still shot but my experience with speedtree is that all the leaves are just sprites that always face the player, wich make it look kinda fake in motion... frown.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I wonder if the PC version will have an 'adjust bloom' slider.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    all the trees, bushes, and grass are the exact same color. all the tree trunks a similar shape. there are better deer in Deer Hunter, and that's saying something. add bloom. make gamers go "OMG!!!!"
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I think these are the first pictures ever released (about a year old, atleast the first shot), so there is/was still plenty of time to improve what was said above.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    this bloom kills me.
    Its pretty much very generic to me. Nothing really special if you ask me. At least they could have added some color varaitions to the textures and some intersting shape to the trees. I am more impressed by HyPers (oh god!) project EON treework.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    How come the trees don't have normal maps on the bark ..it would look cool I think ?
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    yeah looks like speed tree and speedgrass , both of which i ocmpletely fucking hate, may as well get a program to auto generate your characters also you uncreative fucks!

if it turns out it is not speed tree then i apologize, but if it is, i still say LAZY FUCKS
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i always hated speedtree.. and i also have always thought the oblivion shots were rather boring.. bunch of speed tree and speed grass generated levels, poser looking chacters, cliche armor, all covered in bloom in hopes no one will notice it sucks.. my opinion.. i know a lot of people blow heart shaped loads in their pants when they see these.. super duper generic if you ask me.. now the AI is a whole other bag of beans.. that gets me excited for this game and will be the only reason i play it.. if i play it..
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Sometimes it's amusing to see people blather on about things they know nothing about.

Speed tree is a tool. It is just like Deeppaint or 3dsmax. You can completely change the textures, alter all of the geometry, whether the leaves are billboards that always face, or permanent geometry. You can add color variation at the vertex level to the leaves, or just use multiple textures. I have seen some speedtrees and speedgrass that look amazing, and it's because the artist who used it really spent their time making something cool. Using speedtree is no more lazy than someone using max instead of notebook to model things.

I'm nearly positive that Oblivion uses speedtree, and it looks like they mostly used out of the box settings, or didn't tweak them heavily if at all. However these are still frames, and the game looks much MUCH better in motion.

Still though, it's always interesting to see a bunch of amateurs rag on the hard work of a team of professionals, when they know absolutely nothing about the background of the product.

poop.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Personally, I think it looks great, and I can't wait to play it. I've been in several real forests which had just as little colour variation as that one. Agreed on the bloom, but I'm almost certain there'll be a graphics option to turn it on or off, so all you people saying "OMG BLOOM MAKES GAMES LOOK SUCKY AND RUINS EVERYTHING" can just turn it off and stop whining smile.gif

It's the story and gameplay that made me love Morrowind - even though the character art was pretty poor on balance, I didn't care, since it was so fun to play. So hey, even if the graphics aren't as pixel-perfect wonderful as all you guys can do in your sleep, evidently, that doesn't stop it being a great gameplay experience.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh i'm sorry poop i know nothing about speed tree, its not like i worked on the same game that you did that used it but i was on the ENVIROMENT team, speed tree is as much a tool for making art as poser is, i can open up my quake folder and do some hue shifts on the textures, but i would be hard pressed to call that making game art, its tweaking some one elses art, and can hardly be compaired to making the objects yourself ,

nice to be called an amateur by some one of your lofty stature
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Next you'll be saying we should go back to building meshes vert by vert... if you wanna build a realistic forest all by yourself with only a 3d package and a 2d paint package, be my guest, Mojo, but in this industry, time is money, and if "similar" results can be got in a much faster and effective manner, at the slight detriment of percieved graphical quality, then I'm afraid that's the route most sensible developers are going to take.

Next you'll be telling me you bake your own bread and roll your own pasta because it's more of an art form than going to the store and buying it. Bakers and pasta-makers everywhere are spinning in their graves.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Whether its speedtree, handproduced or made with witchcraft... it's very professionally rendered and I can't wait to play what has been shaping up to be a cool game for a good while now.

The 'how' of gameart creation really is just the man behind the curtain and there's a redundant want often here to award points only to certain methods which I think is a mistake.

r.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I think the forests look great, but I also think that Poop came off as pretty arrogant referring to his former co-workers as a "bunch of amatuers" who are "blathering on about things they know nothing about."
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    oh come on guys.. i see both sides.. and i agree there is a time issue here, but i like to see hand made stuff too.. i know you cant do it all the time and game companies work on time constrants.. but i am glad pixar didnt use poser, thats all i am going to say.. well and this..
    speedtree1sx.jpg
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    WAHAHAHAHAAAA!
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    You are a funny, funny man Arsh laugh.gif
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Yep. Definitely an outbreak of Sandy Vaginitis in this community! We'd all better get immunized quick.

I for one think it looks neat, and more importantly fun. I don't mind the bloom so much. Sometimes its appropriate, othertimes, not so much.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    BWAHAHA .... HAHAHAHHAHA ... fart ... BWAHAHAH
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    arshlevon is da WINNA!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mop i'm not saying there is not a place in it, i think its a lazy place and a place that is created by the money men who feel they can not hire artist or spend enough time to actualy make the assets for the game

i think that calling speed tree a "tool just like max and deep paint" is complete lunacy, speed tree is not a program to allow you to create trees for your game more easily, its a program to allow you to select from a library of pre made trees and adjust a few sliders"

i may not bake my own bread but i don't go and buy a loaf of bread, and then claim that buying a loaf of bread was exactly the same as baking my own, cause its not.

and yes i would personaly choose to make my own forrest if i was making a game, because i don't see enviroment art as a throw away part of a game that does not require thought,

i have had experience with speed tree, and its far from making art,

notice in the first post hawken stated the enviroment artists were gods, then you look.. the only enviroment objects we see that were made by the games enviroment artists are one ruined building and a rock
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's alright. nothing to get upset about. time is money in the business of making games to look at. more and more companies can use speedtree if they want. the games they make will have trees that all look alike. by alike, i mean, that they all came from the same program. one day we'll have a program that makes shotguns, so that when games need a shotgun, they'll simply generate it with a slider. time is money. bread is bread, but fresh made bread tastes better when you make it yourself with your own special ingredients...with the help of a new breadmaker of course. there are plenty of trees that speedtree can't make. as it's name suggests, it's just a high priced shortcut. studios don't want to waste time making trees, when it can be better spent making titties.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    ....speed tree is not a program to allow you to create trees for your game more easily, its a program to allow you to select from a library of pre made trees and adjust a few sliders..."

[/ QUOTE ]

That made sense, right?.......

In the perfect world, every enviornment artist wants to make their own work. You will not find a single one who would disagree. The fact is that time almost NEVER permits it. Period.
    You can try and refuse to use SpeedTree, and make your own. I'd love to see you hand-make that same quality of forest in the amount of the time it took that artist to use Speed Tree. No really, please try.
    Ror - exactly right. Creating game art is smoke and mirrors. You use what you have to use, to get the job done. If you're told to make 200 unique trees in two days, hand creation isn't really an option, now is it?

/bah
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    I got the feeling some people around here fear that their jobs will be replaced by Speedtree soon??? tongue.gif

Even if the actual trees might be pretty generic it is still quite a bit of work to assembly a good looking (big) forest/level out of single trees!
    Oh and saying the trees look horrible is pretty harsh criticism of the mighty fine work of the Speedtree artists.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I can see the headlines now...

"10,000 jobs outsourced to Speedtree"
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm not worried about jobs, for the last several years weve used it at mythic, i think i had a job during that time.

and i was against it the whole time we used it.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    looks nice, hopefully i won't be bored five minutes in like morrowind then spend the rest of my time killing everyone in the towns
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I never called anyone specific an amateur. I hit reply to the last message in the thread, as I always do, so yes my post said I was replying to rhino, but it would have said I was replying to whoever was the last to post. I was referring specifically to the people who have not worked on a game, who were being so critical. Not Rhino. You can dislike the tool all you want, but to call anyone who uses it a lazy expletive, is pretty arrogant of yourself.

I've used Speedtree. In fact I think it's safe to say I used it before anyone else in this thread has, back in 2002 at my first job. I had to make most of the trees in the game, and I had very in depth knowledge of it and have kept up with it. It is not a pick from predefined trees type of program. You can start from predifined trees, but you can also start from scratch, and it allows as much modification as you can desire, while still maintaining all the benefits that this program allows. Mainly infinate variation, built in skeletons and wind, LOD's, placement tools, as well as drag and drop code to implement it all. Maybe one of the reasons you don't like it at Mythic, is because their editor has stripped out every advantage that using speedtree has. If it actually had coded in the support that makes speed tree worth using, instead of using it as a make tree button, you might not be so hostile towards using it.

There are benefits it can provide specific games, that you could never have from hand building everything. And, the great thing is, just because you use it for most of your trees, doesn't mean you can't have hand made trees thrown up in the mix as well.

In short, take some mydol, don't be so sensitive, and be less critical of peoples hard work.

poop.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Speedtree huggin' hippy!
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    A “duh” moment: There’s always a new release of “Super Art Maker Pro” or whatever other software game studios use in order to make games. The new tools speed up the work flow and optimize files and balance your check book and blah blah blah, but ultimately it is up to the artists to use the tools in an effective manner. The speedtree app I saw a fellow artist use at Mythic was pretty tedious even though the app promises to make trees a jiffy within the game world. The screen shots for imperator had purple trees, and speedtree has no purple trees, so it took quite a bit of time to work in new tree bark and leaf textures. Despite all of the awesomeness that speedtree can offer, there is still quite a bit of work involved to achieve the results you want. Even poser models have to be tweaked to look decent.

The trees found in oblivion appear to be “out of the box” models, but the way they are used to make a whole forest is pretty damn cool. I’m sure the developers wanted to achieve an almost true forest type environment, thought about how long it would take to make such a thing, realized that a handcrafted forest will take too long, brainstormed about other solutions to solve the problem, and ultimately came up with a very ‘generic’ but ultimately beautiful looking procedural forest. Even then, do ont forget that it does take time to even create a system in order to create all of those procedural trees effectively (the making of vids I saw has the dev’s stating that the forests were researched anyway-someone else already mentioned that too) If it looks good and offers something to the gameplay, then that is fine by me.

It irks me to find people talk about the need for creative and fun games that have ‘generic’ or ‘blah’ looking game art but are first to criticize a game for its awfully identical looking trees, especially when the focus is more on making a FUN game experience, and let’s not forget that the dev team has to make a product with the most bang for buck within the allotted time constraints, etc. I don’t know much about the game [oblivion] personally, except for what I have read online and in magazines (and that’s probably as much as most of you guys know too), but I would still want to play a fun game regardless of whether or not the trees and grass are procedural objects in the world.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    I forgot to mention this, but it depends on preference. Does the developer not want to worry about making trees and settle with the “artificial” look that speedtree contains, or does the developer want a tighter, more consistent art style that in house hand made trees can offer? I’m sure WoW would look stilly with speed trees in it…

Oh, and speed tree is more of a resource that artists can pull from. 3ds Max is a tool that is used to create art. I think that is rhino/mojo's argument...

That is all...
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    May I remind you that Speedtrees are SERIOUS BUSINESS!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Hawken is gonna wake up in ol' Blighty tomorrow morning and piss himself at this thread that he thought he was making about Oblivion.

I don't really understand why anyone truly cares *exactly* how the trees were made. ( although perhaps hypocritically I do agree with some comments that the characters in this game look weird and 'poser-esque' ) Could I make a nice looking forest from scratch without the use of an aid like Speedtree? Probably yeah. Would I want to? Nah.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz: Yeah, cos this is like the first time something like this has happened on, you know, like a messageboard and stuff. ;/

r.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Wait a second, you mean to tell me that people have disagreed about something on this messageboard before and it's ended up in thread derailment??!11
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daz you are a character artist, i am an enviroment artist, if you went into work tommorow and they said hey we have this new auto character software we are going to be using, you make a human template, then you use sliders to change its height and weight, and then you select the outfir for it to wear,

would you feel like you are making art?

I like being an enviroment artist, and i take the creation of the enviroments just as seriously as you may take creating characters, to me, making a Tree is just as much art as you making your james bond.. that may be hard for you to realized, but its true.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    daz you are a character artist, i am an enviroment artist, if you went into work tommorow and they said hey we have this new auto character software we are going to be using, you make a human template, then you use sliders to change its height and weight, and then you select the outfir for it to wear,

would you feel like you are making art?

I like being an enviroment artist, and i take the creation of the enviroments just as seriously as you may take creating characters, to me, making a Tree is just as much art as you making your james bond.. that may be hard for you to realized, but its true.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never meant to belittle the job of being an environment artist, and I don't believe I did. No, it isn't "hard for me to realize" that you have passion for what you do, and no! I don't have any passion for making James Bond thanks very much. All I was merely suggesting is that there isn't necessarily inherent danger in trying to automate some of the immense amount of work we have to do to make videogames. I don't make a character model from scratch every time, I have templates. Although granted, I made them smile.gif
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Oh shit, the picture of Ben Mathis photoshoped on the speedtree background is fucking hilarious!
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could everyone in this channel please smile for just one minute and lighten up?

Let's not have the developer gurning contest to see who takes their job most seriously because you'll all end up having a wet shite through tensing too much.

r.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    I think there is a value-to-art asset ratio that needs to be considered. Add to that the amount of features you get for free by leveraging the research from tech you can buy and plug-in you can start to see ‘new ways’ to express uniqueness, creativity and immersion. You sacrifice one aspect, but exchange it for a host of others.

It comes down to use or abuse.

Rhinokey has a brilliant point that i would like to redirect a tad with what Ben said: If you invest in this spreedtree option and don't take full advantage of the procedural nature then yeah...it sucks. You are abusing the advantages of this sort of asset creation.

To elaborate and expand on Ben’s excellent insight; if you shift your focus from polygon/pixel creation for your foliage and leverage the power of the tool you can arrange a unique Forrest with more features and invest artists time in that.

I bet that if you gave all of us the same speedtree assets that we could all make drastically unique variations with per-pixel lighting, arrangement, foliage density, ect ect.

The reality of per pixel lighting is that you have this huge bloat in asset production and layers upon layers of new responsibility for the content creation staff. Leveraging tech like this isn’t simply 'replacing' custom trees with procedurally generated trees from a library, but when properly wielded it redirects the creativity from sculpting unique tress to sculpting an entire Forrest with new interactive features that would be almost impossible.

Think of how Peter Jackson exploited massive and what did for the battle scenes in LOTR's.

The key is to understand your tools and leverage their strengths. This is the future of certain types of asset creation...trees are a perfect example.

-R
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Oblivion is going to be a really swell game. It'll be very much like Morrowind, but that's all I need.

As for the 'other' topic here. The first rule a game artist should learn and rememeber about their art is that the customer doesn't give a damn how you made it.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    JKMakowka
    [ QUOTE ]
    I got the feeling some people around here fear that their jobs will be replaced by Speedtree soon??? tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey i was doing freelance for s2games making trees and i was replaced with speedtree. So yes i fear speedtree, the bastard is sneaky that way. So what if i was one of the many people telling them to use speedtree... that has nothing to do with this...rite? wink.gif

Speedtree makes trees, hey if i was ever asked to make a forest of next gen trees i sure as hell wouldnt be making them by hand if i didnt have to.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think i'm being misunderstood on a lot of levels i am not saying that using speedtree is a "bad" thing, it is just a lazy thing, it is a short cut to get around having artists make the trees themselves, speed tree can deliver great results if you are looking for a normal realistic forrest, i personaly would not use it on any project that i had control over, unless it was an absolute neccesity in order to meet time or budget

what i am arguing here and everyone keeps overlooking, is when ben compaired it to being a tool just like max and deep paint, because it is not a tool like those, it is not making your own art, it would not be propper to render out a bunch of trees with speed tree and put it in your portfolio as trees you have made,

speed tree can be an excellent way to cut corners if your studio or producers are either too lazy or stingy to allow time or money needed to make an entire game.

i think the oblivion shots look great, but i think they would look better with trees made by artists, if not better it would at least look difrent than other games made using speed tree, it was easy to just look at this game and go "oh thats speedtreee" cause despite the tweaking and slider moving, "most" speed trees look... like speedtrees,

i keep getting replies like i'm fighting against ways to slim down game design when under tight budget / time constraints, but what i am arguing against is the notion that making a tree in speedtree is art in the same manner as making a tree in max and photoshop.

and the comment i made to daz was if he were to start making characters using sliders tommorow, would he consider that "art" but again i get a reply back about how sometimes we have to automate the proccess, which is far from the point that i am arguing,

i really don't know why i am arguing here, but its something i'm passionate about. if you have to cut corners to ship, then use speed tree or poser or whatever, cause like nitzmof mentioned the player doesnt care how its made. but when doing it don't tell yourself that its just the same as if it was your art you made yourself,