Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Level using Unreal W.I.P. (new screens & textures)

Xeto
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Xeto polycounter lvl 17
Here are some new screen shots with the textures I've made. I haven't done lighting in the level yet but the most important thing here that I would like people to look at are the textures so I will post the links to them twice. These textures are hand painted with baked lighting in max. Let me know what you think! Thank you all so much for looking.

Wall with tartan Texture (1024 x 1024 hand painted)
Wall with walkway Texture (1024 x 1024 hand painted)
Pillars and other Ruins Texture (1024 x 1024 hand painted)

walkway.jpg

ruins1.jpg

ruins2.jpg

water.jpg

Wall with tartan Texture (1024 x 1024 hand painted)
Wall with walkway Texture (1024 x 1024 hand painted)
Pillars and other Ruins Texture (1024 x 1024 hand painted)

Thank you guys for looking I would love any feed back I could get! One or two of the 1024 x 1024 textures will be sized down to 512 x 512 soon after I finish texturing for the whole level. Thanks again!

Replies

• flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    first off...
    http://www.virtualdub.org/
    give that a try for shrinking the movie filesize

Level's lookin nice so far. The lighting's a bit flat, try adding some color to it to help carry whatever mood you're trying to convey.

Have you tried using projectors for the shadows under the trees? Should give the shady areas a bit more detail / feel.

On the ground, scale down that dirt texture a bit, the cracks are a bit large for common pathways; also, add another layer or two of texturing and add a different dirt texture and a different grass texture. Mix 'em up a bit, and have the smoother of the dirt textures define pathways better.

Even if you're trying to give it a misty look, give the water a little more blue.

Keep up the good work, and welcome to Polycount!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I defineatly agree with what Flaagan said. The lighting right now isn't doing anything for the scene. More light/color contrast would really help.
    I'm not sure what you had going on in the third pic, but it's a bit confusing to me. Is that all wood? or Marble? If so, why are there wood/marble pipes coming out of the rock? and marble logs, lying on the ground? Very odd to me blush.gif
    Got any clarification on that?

Aside from that, looks good in general. Can't wait to see it done smile.gif
  • Xeto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xeto polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, I haven’t even touched lighting yet. That’s actually one of my strong areas, I just normally leave it for last once all the texturing and everything is done. I do the same with projection maps.

I’ll be adding those for the whole forest at the end. I already have the maps for them set up too. I agree though, lighting is going to be very key.

As for Vassago's comment The rock texture is just a default texture I use on everything in the level before I texture it. The wall is going to be a lighter stone color while the logs are going to be textured as wood. I’m getting there, I just needed to unwrap all of it first. Thanks guys! Hope to hear more! I'll post more as the level progresses.
  • Sinistar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sinistar polycounter lvl 17
    Xeto, it's looking pretty good so far. I like the first shot the best IMO.
    BTW, where are you taking a level design class? I noticed you're from Arizona, so I'm guessing you are attending one of the schools here. smile.gif
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    WOW uses an impressionist color palate. Check out some of the impressionists and post-impressionists if you want some inspiration.

Otherwise I'd say your stuff is going along nicely. Is there any way you can cut down the stretching on the top of the pines, and maybe use some more color to round out the shape on the orangeish trees (i dunno are they maples?). I'd have to say that even with the stretching those pines are my favorite part. They look a lot more fleshed out then most game trees out there.

I like the pose on the statue. Sort of a warrior-poet, eh?
  • Xeto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xeto polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks again for the feed back guys! I love getting it! I’m attending the Art Institute of Phoenix for Video Game art and Design. (I have about nine months left)

As for the Trees, I do agree, the stretching is a problem right now, but I am actually going to unwrap them in a little more acceptable manner, the trees were such an important part to feel and color of the level that I wanted to get something there for me to look at while I toiled away at the rest. I’ll do the unwrapping now so that it’s out of the way. Thank you again for the feedback; it is greatly appreciated! wink.gif
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Looking good. If you want to make it look more Scottish though, get some purples, red browns and burgundy type colours in there.
  • Xeto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xeto polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, I was thinking of adding in those colors mainly with really light deco layers with certain flower types and such. Thank you!
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome work there! I really like the waterfall. Did you make the running water texture? I've been working on an outdoor level too laugh.gif Did you notice that the deco layers aren't affected by the lights in the scene. I had to bake the lights for my outdoor environment.
  • Xeto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xeto polycounter lvl 17
    The waterfall! Hehe, that's everyone’s first comment about it when they see it here at the school. I made all the textures for it and it is some crazy work with a lot of emitters. As for the lighting with the deco layers, yeah, that can be a pain I haven't had much of a problem yet, but we will see how the deco layers treat me when I start the lighting. I'll be posting some new screens soon. Maybe by mid next week and I would love to get more feed back. Thanks!
  • melissa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melissa polycounter lvl 17
    I only have a small comment, and if you used references for the type of envrionment you are trying to convey, you may prove me wrong. I wonder if in such a misty cool area next to a river if you would have those arid cracks in the ground. I would expect leaves and moss, some dark dirt and such but the cracks don't feel right to me although they look nice. just a nit pick tho.
  • Timex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Timex polycounter lvl 18
    i like the statue laugh.gif, maybe you can put some image in the background , i like al the scene laugh.gif.
  • Xeto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xeto polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    I only have a small comment, and if you used references for the type of envrionment you are trying to convey, you may prove me wrong. I wonder if in such a misty cool area next to a river if you would have those arid cracks in the ground. I would expect leaves and moss, some dark dirt and such but the cracks don't feel right to me although they look nice. just a nit pick tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're 100% right. The cracked ground is in some of the few photos that I have, plus I have been lots of places where there is wet mud that still has the cracks in it (mostly mud that has dried and become wet again over and over, that can happen near a some what random water source), but you are right, there are too many cracks if there need to be any at all by the water, so I have added a mud texture that doesn't have cracks in it for the obviously wet areas near the water. Some thing just didn't seem right about it no matter how many pictures I looked at, thank you for the feed back!
  • Xeto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xeto polycounter lvl 17
    I will be posting new screen shots with textures in about a day if any one has time to take a look. Thanks!
  • Xeto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xeto polycounter lvl 17
    For those of you that have been to this thread before, sorry for changing stuff around so much but I don't want people getting confused and thinking the old stuff at the top were the new screen shots and textures. Thanks guys!
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    it's kind of strange that the statues drape thing has a tartan pattern on it, might look better without it
  • Xeto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xeto polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah that texture is stil being worked on. I'll try it without the tartan. Maybe I could have it painted on and have the paint cracking off? Or maybe just with out it at all. I'll experiment. Thank you! grin.gif
  • Xeto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xeto polycounter lvl 17
    All right everyone, I hope some one takes a look at this because I’m about to dump old stuff here and then a link to the finished product. I had to create a level for my level design class and it’s been about seven weeks working on this and it’s getting close to turn in time. Your feed back has helped me a lot and I have done what I can in the time that I have had mixed in with other classes. I just wanted to thank everyone here for taking the time to look at my work. Every one, let me know what you think! Thanks!

If you don't want to look at the old stuff you can just go to the page for the finished level HERE

screen1.jpg
    screen3.jpg
    screen5.jpg
    screen4.jpg

and now the new stuff!!!

If the flythrough on the page doesn't work just download it HERE

The entire page for the level is HERE

I'll post one or two of the new pics here...

overview.jpg
    wall.jpg

Thanks again! It means a lot when people show interest! blush.gif