Home Technical Talk

first normal map...ALMOST THERE! one last prob!!!

fritz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
fritz polycounter lvl 18
OK. i'm almost finished with my first normal mapped char. what an interesting way to do things. anyways, i have one last problem(let's hope). as you can see in the image, the legs in the foreground are normal/shade mapped(yay!!).

tex8zg.jpg

but them when i go to appy another map(head and torso), the head and torso DISAPPEAR. anyone have a possible solution? it's driving me mad. haha.

notex0mq.jpg

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    It looks like your mesh is all one object.
    Try Detaching the polys you want the second texture map on to a different object, I think Max doesn't like applying normal-maps as multi/sub-object materials.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    i tried that...set the new mat to ID1. now i can't get the texture to show up. it's just default grey. any suggestions?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Weird. Making two different objects and applying two different normal maps (using Max's default DX Display material with Normal Bump) displays fine in my viewport.

You made them two completely separate objects, yeah, rather than just detaching the polys but leaving them in the same object? And two completely separate materials are applied to each individual object? There shouldn't be any problem with that...

Have you tried turning off the "Show map in viewport" button for both, then turning them on again? Sometimes Max is weird like that. Also, do you have any lights in your scene yet? If so, try getting rid of them.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    i have 3 maps. legs in front, legs in back/tail, and head/torso/tail. i separated the legsback/tail as a separate object and it worked fine. the head/torso is still not working. where is this "show map in viewport" button?

thanks for your help again MOP. i'm sooooooo close!!! just one more map!!!!!!
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    problem solved!!!!!!!!! thanks again mop. i just opened up a new material. and it worked. really weird.

thanks man!!!! i'll post after i make the diffuse/spec. only thing is...i don't know how to render normal maps. haha.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, I thought you just had two - I just tried a test scene again with 3 objects and 3 different normal-maps - it still displays fine, so I don't think the problem lies there...

The "Show Map In Viewport" button is just in the row of buttons below the material preview spheres in the Material Editor, it's normally a blue chequered cube icon, but when you enable the DX Display material, it should turn into a pink chequered cube icon, so look for that.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    thanks again...i have some nasty seams but...i guess you learn as you go. i appreciate the help!!!
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Poops normalmap tutorial, if you need help on how to render the normalmaps:
    http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/normal_workflow.htm
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    DAMN!!! i owe a lot of people pizzas out there.

testing019tk.jpg

thanks for all the help!!!!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, give it a killer pose like the concept piece, and you'll be rocking. I especially love the tail in your painting.