Home Technical Talk

modeling question - max

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
weld.jpg
what would be the best solution for a modeling problem such as this here. i'm looking for a faster and easier way to weld these verts so that they create a nice even seam as a single mesh. i've always wondered if there were better ways. i normally align each vert to the opposite corisponding vert ; vert A's x coridnate is copied, pasted into vert B's, vert B's y cordinate is copied and pasted into vert A's, and so on.

in this case i'm also modeling in multiples of 10 degree angles, so it makes it slighty easier to make these angles weld seams work, but still.

any tips would be much obliged.

-kill

Replies

• Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Couldn't you select all verts along the seam, and use a horizontal scale to move them all closer together, then weld?

Or select each vert individually, and then its corresponding vert, and weld using an insanely high tolerance (I like 25-50)? Repeat for the other verts.

More pictures needed perhaps. I'm only getting a slight idea of what the geometry is, especially with "see-through" turned on.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    i can suggest a few odd ball ways:

depends if it was built right but it could be as easy as collapsing the welded pairs.

also if you are modeling accurately enough you might be able to use intersect snap as well.

what i sometimes do though when its nasty is make a copies of the geometry and boolean against each other. then use the resultant piece as a templete to snap my original verts to.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weld2.jpg
    this is the results using a scale, but tried using a local axis. it's still off, but that is damn close.

weld3.jpg
    the collaps is closer, but still isn't "perfect", which i feel can matter for instanced geo. and i may have a metal complex that prevents it tongue.gif (note the verticle edges bend inward slightly.)
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I normally set the verts to be constrained to edge, and then move them manually till they sit on the surface. Then I target weld the other side to it. It's almost 99.9999999% accurate, depending on how well you eyeball.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    this is pie, go to your top view, and select 2 opposite each other and scale, yup, just like you did before, but this time before scaling, do a shift -x or manualy turn on constrain to edges, scale the verts together and poof magicaly delicious
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice! didn't know about this constrain to edge setting, thanks guys. smile.gif i get even better results with the axis set to local when scaling.