Home General Discussion

No more "killergames" in germany

LordScottish
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
Hey everybody
I think this is worth posting here, although it's at the moment only affecting Germany. As you may have heard, the two parties of the new government coalition have written down their coalition contract.
Part of this contract is a paragraph (IV 6.3, line 5125ff) concerning the way of dealing with youth violence entitled "growing up without violence". Here is a part of the original wording:

[ QUOTE ]

5140 Konsequenzen rechtzeitig ziehen zu können. Wir wollen hierzu unverzüglich in einen
5141 zielorientierten Dialog mit den Ländern eintreten. Folgende Eckpunkte sollen
5142 vorrangig erörtert werden:
5143 Wirksamkeit des Konstrukts Regulierte Selbstkontrolle
5144 Altersgrenzen für die Freigabe von Filmen und Spielen/Alterskennzeichnung von
5145 Computerspielen
5146 Verlässliche Kontroll- und Sicherheitsstandards für Videoverleihautomaten
5147 Verbot von Killerspielen

[/ QUOTE ]

In line 5147 it says, that "killergames" are going to be forbidden. As it is not a law but a contract, we can't tell yet what the impact of this will be. It's not yet clear what the term killergame means, but I can imagine that any pure 3D Shooter may be included.

It propably won't be a real discussion, more like a scream of terror laugh.gif but what do you think about this? Is it necessary by any means? I'm especially concerned, because it may also affect the position of legislators in other countrys, especially Switzerland or Austria.

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I think that outright bans on any type of game, is completely ridiculous, and ouright foolish. I AM however, in total agreement with legislation that bans violent games from children. A developing child doesn't need to be subjected to large amounts of violence. We adults however, use these games as stress relief. If people can't express themselves in a game, they will eventually pop, and harm real people.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Well, what can I say... Germany is (politically) pretty much f***ed-up right now, and the people who wrote this really have no clue what they are talking about.
    So unless they actually really try to make a law about this (which I doubt they will, since this coalition is going to fail soon, I guess) there is nothing to worry about.

Oh and they don't even really know themselves what they mean by 'killergames' confused.gif Last year the same term was used describing paintball games.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    [ QUOTE ]
    If people can't express themselves in a game, they will eventually pop, and harm real people.

[/ QUOTE ]
    sure about that? i'd try it with sports anyday over a video game... in many cases video games cause frustration, after all.

as for the paper - it's merely that. all this is up for negotiations at some unkown later date and besides we already have a long history of censorship for display of excessive violence or fascism in media. so i guess nothing will change under the hood. only game companies will continue to bring us great localized versions with even more green blood and robots instead of humans.

these days i simply import a violent game if i really want it. i could get it in the store backrooms as well, but for double the price, coz it's on the index, man. must be cooool laugh.gif
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    sounds like a great idea, all the game shops can diguise themselves as pet stores, with the spinning displays that flip between monkeys and monkey killer 12!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    This year, Dresden was host to the largest Neo-Nazi demonstration in the post-war history of Germany. Between five and eight thousand Neo-Nazis took part.

From my observation, most violent games (or atleast the ones that defined the genre) involve the killing of Nazis.

Which of these two figures is this new government more interested in opposing in order to deal with violence amoung youth?
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Interesting. Better to crack down on the symbols of violence, than to take any action against someone who may bloody one's nose for real. Cowards...

Scott
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    If they use the "glorifying war/violence" reasoning to circumvent the freedom of expression I demand the Bible and the Quran to be outlawed. Those books have proven negative effects on the development of children and glorify war and violence to a point where no sane and responsible person can allow anyone to handle these books. If they don't use the glorifying war/violence clause any attempt to ban the games is unconstitutional as it can no longer be argued that this constitutes merely youth protection if it influences adults.

That's assuming they know that the current USK and BPjM system prevents children from getting their hands onto such games unless their parents approve, which may be outside the knowledge of Joe Politician. Most likely they just don't have a clue that such a system already exists and think just because idiotic parents buy these games for their children there are no protections in place. I mean, those are politicians we're talking about.

Besides, they still haven't done the most important step and locked Schröder into a basement and threw the key away.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    I'd rather guess that they aim for games where violence is an end in itself. Games like BrainBread or Postal, f.e. Of course anyone can attempt to call those games sociocritical. Propably we'll just have to wait until the Federal Court of Justice decides a case where someone asserts a violation of the artistic liberty.
    It's funny you say that KDR_11k, since it's the very same book, modern law is based on. There are 3 main sources for any modern law: the jewish , the christian and the ancient greek root. Not exactly a bad thing if you ask me smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Games where violence is the goal of the game are already indexed and most publishers don't bother releasing them here. Artistic liberty finds its limits in youth protection and anti-hatecrime (no glorifying violence/war) laws so that's not a possible route of attack.

I don't care whether our laws are based on those religious writings, either they remove the violence or they must be kept away from the youth.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    If they use the "glorifying war/violence" reasoning to circumvent the freedom of expression I demand the Bible and the Quran to be outlawed. Those books have proven negative effects on the development of children and glorify war and violence to a point where no sane and responsible person can allow anyone to handle these books. If they don't use the glorifying war/violence clause any attempt to ban the games is unconstitutional as it can no longer be argued that this constitutes merely youth protection if it influences adults.

That's assuming they know that the current USK and BPjM system prevents children from getting their hands onto such games unless their parents approve, which may be outside the knowledge of Joe Politician. Most likely they just don't have a clue that such a system already exists and think just because idiotic parents buy these games for their children there are no protections in place. I mean, those are politicians we're talking about.

Besides, they still haven't done the most important step and locked Schröder into a basement and threw the key away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah, nice cheap shot on religion!

I love it when people blame religion itself for wars and violence.

Look at it this way: Many cops are power abusive douchebags. Do you think that they became cops, and all of a sudden started become abusive, or wouldn't you think that a position like that draws attention to a power hungry person?

Either way, wars and violence are always going to be there, but some radical fundamentalists like to blame it on religion to justify themselves. Please stop being so ignorant and grouping all religion together just because you have some personal vendetta against them.

Back on to the video game topic: I'm all for banning violent video games for children, but I'm more than capable of determining what's reality and what's a video game, and I'll be damned if my violent games are taken away smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you think violent videogames are more likely to make someone a serial killer than a book that teaches (when taken out of context as some freaks tend to do) that killing the infidels in real life (important distinction, games are virtual and by no means meant to teach behaviour) is good and will net you eternal gratification after death? So why should they be banned while those books can still be sold freely even to minors? Or, for a better comparison, are games as dangerous as Mein Kampf?

And we're already outlawing selling games to children they aren't rated for (that can land you in jail!) plus there's the index that can outlaw even showing them to children. I really don't think there's a need for even more legislation. An outright ban only exists for Nazi propaganda and even there I don't think it's a complete ban (Nazi propaganda movies are shown in the Potsdam museum for movies since they are part of the culture, Mein Kampf can still be obtained for educational use). So videogames would be treated as worse than advocating the holocaust. That. Is. Plain. Insane.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Do you think violent videogames are more likely to make someone a serial killer than a book that teaches (when taken out of context as some freaks tend to do) that killing the infidels in real life (important distinction, games are virtual and by no means meant to teach behaviour) is good and will net you eternal gratification after death? So why should they be banned while those books can still be sold freely even to minors? Or, for a better comparison, are games as dangerous as Mein Kampf?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was never told or taught to kill anyone when I was taught religion. The areas in which such things might be taught by radicals (middle-east), they don't even have video games, so I don't see the argument.

I agree they're taking the video game issue too far, but the religion comparison was a cheap shot.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    The bloodiest wars in history have been religious wars. If you yourself are not willing to die for your beliefs, then you have no arguement. Too many people in this world blindly consider themselves part of a religion.

Games are just games. Not like many game released have actually been great enough to convert a large mass of people to an idea that provokes hate.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing is, the connection between violence and games isn't much more than someone claiming "GTA made me do it!" after being caught by the police. The bible or the quran don't teach violence if taken in their entirety but you can find enough people who justify violence with these books. That's my point, the connection between games and violence is about as weak as the connection between the bible and violence except more people have read the bible and know that only a select few turn violent because of it.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The thing is, the connection between violence and games isn't much more than someone claiming "GTA made me do it!" after being caught by the police. The bible or the quran don't teach violence if taken in their entirety but you can find enough people who justify violence with these books. That's my point, the connection between games and violence is about as weak as the connection between the bible and violence except more people have read the bible and know that only a select few turn violent because of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, I see your point now. Well said smile.gif

Back on topic, I think that if I couldn't hop on Soul Calibur 2 and beat the hell out of someone occasionally, I'd be a much angrier person tongue.gif
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    well, a demonstration like that is what you have to live with in a democracy. the neonazis have civil rights. they may be misleaded, often dumb, but unless they break the law, there's not much the state can do as long as people have to be treated equally.

somehow you seem to imply we should actually recommed and support nazi-killing games so as to train the youth? wink.gif

anyway, neonazis are for the most part an outlawed group. note that the leaders of this scene have moved to other countries where they seem to have an easier time - some went to northern europe, others are in the US, if i remember right. they probably have much less influence on the kids than any video game.
  • flachdrache
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flachdrache polycounter lvl 18
    Iam not 16 anymore - so iam not in need of saying something about these "facts". Possibly ... maybe - youll get what ill give you - nothing more and nothing less.