Home General Discussion

Bloodrayne - first trailer

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
_Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
ok, accidentaly found this:

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/665/665166p1.html

First trailer of the Bloodrayne movie with Krista Lokken, micheal madsen and ben kingsley.
So:

-It looks horrbile. Like some sort of reallife roleplay recorded with a digicam.
-Uwe Boll sucks soo hard
-Whats all about? This is one of the most senseless trailers I saw so far...

rant away

Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I guess Kingsley and Madsen are hard up for work?!

It feels very 'made for TV'. Not helped by the cheezy voiceover.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gehh... You don't even want to get me started on this movie and the process it's gone through...

Damn shame...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Who is Uwe Boll and why do people not like him?

EDIT: I just watched the trailer. Garbage. Shame.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    That looks bloody awful. The voiceover just keeps random shit. "A man, his sperm, make baby. 9 months and the baby is out....mums womb - 9 years later, she's 9 years old. Her eyes are blue and her hair is brown AND she is 9 years old." Its that kind of thing. Pointless voiceover that doesn't help the trailer any bit.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Uwe Boll can be found here. Basically he makes crappy movies of computer games.

Daz, agreed, especially since Kingsley was in the Thunderbirds movie... and frankly Madsen's performance in Sin City was poor.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Uwe Boll is a German doctor who has decided to exploit a loophole in the German art's councils rules that state that if your film fails to break even, you don't have to pay back the money you spent to make it. For some reason, he's decided that games liscenses are the way to go for movie failures (Springtime for Hitler already being taken). Thus far he's done House of The Dead which was hilariously bad and Alone in the Dark which was just bad. Still on his agenda are Bloodreyne, Farcry, Hunter: The Reckoning, Fear Effect and... wait for it... Postal.

I've heard ze Germans are working to amend their laws so this can't keep happening, so hopefully he won't be able to keep these shenanigans up for too much longer.
  • kendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendo polycounter lvl 18
    I have always considered this forum to be a place filled with coherent grammatically correct individuals with the ability to provide well structured reasoning I shall now attempt to join your rank with my long and detailed hypothesis of bloodrayne the movie based on that trailer.

ARGHHHHHH ARGHHH IT BURNS DONT LET IT GET ME WOAAAARGHHH
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    oh boy oh boy, it's bash uwe boll time!

wiki has a fun bit on him:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uwe_boll

and lets not leave that other wonderful game director out of this convo:
    paul anderson!!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_W._S._Anderson

talk about entertaining reads.

as for bloodrayne..where the heck are the nazis?!?
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    House of the dead is one of my most watched movies, i can watch it at least once a month, its so bad it comes back around full circle till its awesome,

alone in the dark is only good if you watch the directors commentary, cause bol is a funny funny bitter insane man. i'm hoping his new movies go back to the house of the dead level of awesome bad
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I guess Kingsley and Madsen are hard up for work?!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing, but if you check out Madsen's IMDB page, apparently he's just signing on to do every movie that's offered to him. The man has about a dozen yet-to-be-released movies that he's involved with. But why oh why Michael, would you stoop so low as to do a Uwe Boll movie frown.gif.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    He's also doing the Dungeon Seige movie, which is apparently too epic to be contained in one movie so must be split into 2!

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/dungeonsiege2/news.html?sid=6136825&q=uwe%20boll

Tabarnac! According to wikipedia, he's in the bidding for Metal Gear Solid! Nooooooooooooo!
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    For some reason, he's decided that games liscenses are the way to go for movie failures (Springtime for Hitler already being taken).

[/ QUOTE ]

Clever wink.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Doesnt anyone in Exec and marketing who gives the OK to this director even bother to look at his horrible track record? At least financially if nothing else. I mean, do they want to destroy their IP's? Is it attempted suicide?

We have some GPG people here.. Whats the scoop? Why did Chris do this?
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Whats the scoop? Why did Chris do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

$$$cha-ching!!!
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    It's probably more the publisher than the developer. Isn't that what happened with Bloodrayne? Like, the movie and the MTV music video stuff?
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Someone kill that man, before he kills any chance of a good game to movie being made of a good franchise. Why would anyone sign a deal with this man? He kills the value of game franchises by making the movies he makes. Kill him, or at least stop selling your franchises over to him.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Wasn't Uwe Boll to blame for Doom as well? IMDB doesn't credit him for it but it doesn't list a producer for Doom at all.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    No, Boll had nothing to do with Doom which is presumably why it was as bearable (dare I say enjoyable) as it was.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/644/644928p1.html

"The film is exactly structured like a game, as well. It's complete with mini-boss and boss fights, weapons and ability upgrades, collectibles (Rayne has to grab three items in order to have the power to defeat Kagan) and a final encounter. Boll has taken the videogame blueprint as literally as a person possibly could, which sounds like a terrible idea. However, unlike House of the Dead and Alone in the Dark, this structure works a lot better in BloodRayne."
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Uwe Boll is a tool, but I actually like some of Paul Anderson's movies.

I did enjoy the first Mortal Kombat movie when it came out. I also liked Soldier. Event Horizon is also one of my favorites.

On the plus side, Bloodrayne appears to be higher quality than Boll's other films. Though, that isn't saying much.
    smile.gif
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's probably more the publisher than the developer. Isn't that what happened with Bloodrayne? Like, the movie and the MTV music video stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

Majesco owns BloodRayne, we do not. Though, Majesco had almost zero input with this movie.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Just watched it, utter utter shite.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Dr. boll is a genius.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    About 20 seconds into the trailer, I'm asking 'Where's the Nazis?' I haven't played BR2. This prequel junk looks beyond lame. Bad colors, too serious. You know they're propping up their own importance with 2x4s and wire when they have to use Meat Loaf's last name...

/jzero
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I always thought his last name was Loaf... Meat Loaf Loaf laugh.gif
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    For everyone that asked 'Why?!': You would be suprised at how higher ups think. They look at the bottom line and do not play games or obviously watch the movies based on them.

Boll makes movies for dirt cheap and since the majority of filmgoers are, dare I say, idiots, the films more than make their cost back. To the former Colgate VP who is in charge of video game publisher X, it's a sweet deal.

Most publishers believe any way you can couple a game with a movie, it's a very good thing. That said, I of course agree with the lot of you and think it's a damn shame Boll's in bed with this industry.
  • Spoon_of_death
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon_of_death polycounter lvl 17
    http://media.filmforce.ign.com/media/574/574467/img_2528174.html
    "Oh no! Not the dual butterknifes of death!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!"
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    hm, seems uwe boll has written a book on how to make movies his way. i'll see if i can get ahold of this. i have a feeling he let's the german institutions in charge fund his projects and then because of the law does not have to pay back when the movie bombs. as a tax payer, i feel tempted to visit this guy's home which is around 50 km away from my location... armed, of course. :[

anyway a lot of money these days is spent on marketing an IP and the build-up of an image. how can you let a bad movie potentially ruin this just to cash in a little?
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Because any publicity is good publicity. Any way you can raise public awareness of an IP, bomb or blockbuster is good. You're forgetting that every person on this board is an educated consumer when it comes to games, otherwise they wouldn't be here.

The rest of the world is far more tolerant to shlock and are the types that have their copy of of Video Game Movie tie-in #245 even before seeing the film and without reading any reviews. Box art is still the #1 seller of games for people like your average Wal-Mart shopper.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Boll makes movies for dirt cheap and since the majority of filmgoers are, dare I say, idiots, the films more than make their cost back. To the former Colgate VP who is in charge of video game publisher X, it's a sweet deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, that's not quite accurate. Alone in the Dark was made with a budget of $20 million. While not exactly a big-budget blockbuster, it's definitely not what I would consider "dirt cheap." The film, to date, has grossed only $6,500,000 world-wide; not even half of the movie's budget.

So how does he keep getting funding with such dismal results? If you read the wikipedia article (specifically, the part about "stupid German money"), you'd discover that Germany has some sort of tax loophole that allows investors to write off any contributions to a film (I don't know the specifics, but that's the gist of it) if the film doesn't make back it's money. So, any money the movie does make is just bonus for the investors, since they still get to right off the full amount for their contribution.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    but this applies to games made after movies, not the other way around. a movie that's known as a video game adaption over here has quite a stigma before it's even in the cinemas. if it bombs, it might just as well hurt the game sales, too.

besides it seems word of mouth spreads incredibly fast these days.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very interesting info Keyser. In regards to Box office sales though, don't forget the power of the DVD. Often times a movie can tank in the theaters and easily make its money back on DVD sales.
  • Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
    Kojima will NEVER let him make mgs! i'm sure about that
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    actualy i think alone in the dark lost money big time http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=aloneinthedark.htm aparently it has not made back half the cost to make it,

and come on bol is hurting no one,

do you really think that if he was not in the picture like ridley scott or james cameron or someone would have popped up and made an awesome blood rayne movie? no, because NO ONE CARES

house of the dead is easily one of my favorite movies, it copmpletely destroys a lot of much better made and actualy good movies in terms of re watchability.

theres an easy thing you can do if you feel so strongly about this film, and that is, "just do not go and see it"

and as far as game companys go, and publishers, any publicity is good publicity.

bol makes horribly awfull movies, and i bet in 50 years he will be remembered for it, because he is just getting started!
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Because any publicity is good publicity. Any way you can raise public awareness of an IP, bomb or blockbuster is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats simply not true. Some publicity is bad. You know about how hollywood is using this to screw movie game publishers over? They have a thing that the license will cost higher if the game bombs because of IP damage versus if the game is a success?

Which I really find to be a point that a game publisher should now do the same back to hollywood. You want to make Half Life ehh? Well its only going to cost you X million if you make a blockbuster for the license verses XX million for destroying the license.

If all marketing was good, Jack Thompson should have been head of ESRB by now.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    i liked it I dunno what you guys are talking about, I'm sure it'll be a blast. smile.gif

"Its me... BOB...." *throws away the donut
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joolz8000 polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't read this whole thread, but c'mon- it has MEATLOAF! I think it looks pretty decent. I'd rent it. Maybe.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Because any publicity is good publicity. Any way you can raise public awareness of an IP, bomb or blockbuster is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats simply not true. Some publicity is bad. You know about how hollywood is using this to screw movie game publishers over? They have a thing that the license will cost higher if the game bombs because of IP damage versus if the game is a success?

Which I really find to be a point that a game publisher should now do the same back to hollywood. You want to make Half Life ehh? Well its only going to cost you X million if you make a blockbuster for the license verses XX million for destroying the license.

If all marketing was good, Jack Thompson should have been head of ESRB by now.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry to break it to you... but this simply is true.. i remember the mario bros movie.. horrible.. didnt make me or anyone i have ever ever met stop playing mario.. street fighter movie.. biggest pile of crap in the world.. still play street fighter.. all the time.. actually i can not think of one not even one horrible video game move that made me not want to play the game.. and its not just games.. most stephen king movies blow major ass.. with the except of a few .. they dont stop him from selling books.. i dont know of people that are dumb enough to think a game and a movie are even romotely the same type of entertainment.. its really like saying.." well the action figures for the movie were of a substandard quality so i will not see the movie because if they cant make action figures then there is no way in hell they can make a movie."

or

" i didnt like the font in the graphic novel, if they cant even make a graphic novel with a decent font then there is no way they can make a decent made for TV series"

everyone knows people that make the movies are not the people that make the games are not the people that make the t shirts are not the people that make the after school specials... getting the word out is getting the word out...plain and simple..
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Arsh is totally RIGHT!
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Just playin' devil's advocate here.

Sure, shitty movies wouldn't make a player drop the game and never pick it up again, but what about the people that never played the game? What if they had never even knew there was a game? If the viewer thought the movie was great they would be curious about trying out the game. If the viewer hated the movie, why would they invest time or money into checking it out?

So I guess bad publicity won't change things, but good publicity will generate interest. That's not the least bit catchy.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

sorry to break it to you... but this simply is true.. i remember the mario bros movie..

[/ QUOTE ]

Again. Not all publicity is good for the longevity of the IP.

Let me put it this way to you.. Did street fighter actually help the IP in anyway at all. AND if it is true, then explain why Hollywood is doing the opposite. Is game development somehow "special" in that what effects other forms of entertainment doesn't effect it. Inquiring minds want to know!

Here is a really simple simple example. I assume you have both lost or gained interest in reading a book from seeing a specific movie based on a book? I can recall both at least for me. Not just the positive, but negative as well.