Home Technical Talk

Final Fantasy X and X-2 model viewer

FatAssasin
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
I just came across this model viewer for FF X and X-3 3D assets. The character models are amazing and really worth taking a look at. If you want an instant education on the right way to make characters, check this out. You'll need the game discs to extract the models.

http://www.yaz0r.net/ffxview.php

Replies

• obson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    obson polycounter lvl 17
    very cool. I don't have ps2 but I may have to rent ffx to check this out.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Great find! The Tidus model is heavier than I thought.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Woah! Could someone post a few more pics? And maybe that program can read the texture flats too?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    very cool - but how do i use it? the ffxdumper doesn't read any of the visible content from the ffx-disc. no commandline help, nothing. seems i'd have to bake an iso of the gamedisc or something? but then - aren't ps2 discs copy-protected anyway...
    i have ffx and ffx-2 and would love to give this a spin.

also, ffxview doesn't start on my box. no error, not even a process showing up in the taskmanager.

edit:
    some more info and pics here: http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=67958
  • yaz0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yaz0r polycounter lvl 17
    Hi over there.
    The file dumper is intended to work from the iso of the dvd, I got lazy a didn't make a version that could directly handle the dvd disc itself.
    To start the viewer, pass a model file by comand line, or just drop the model on it.

yaz0r
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I'll be sure to check this out later today.

Yazor, any word on your KHview release? I noticed you mentioned "maybe later".

Thanks for the great tool, good work.
  • yaz0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yaz0r polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yazor, any word on your KHview release? I noticed you mentioned "maybe later".

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm actualy waiting for things to set down a bit after KH2 release this december. It will probably use the same engine or something very similar...
  • Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
    the viewer works really good!
    But as Pior said it'd be cool to have an option to see the flats (textures) of the model.
    Awesome job so far yaz0r!
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    wow. All this stuff is going straight to my inspiration folder.

If you use the obj converter, it extracts the textures out too.

I can't wait for the KH stuff. I really wanna see how they pulled off the amazing look of KH2 on the PS2. I have a sneaking suspicion of how they got the ultra sharpness.
  • PolyMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyMonkey polycounter lvl 17
    Rock'n. yaz0r any chance of getting to play with the j3d viewer anytime soon? I know what you said on your blog, but just to be able to view the art assets would be inspiring. No need to bother with extracting flats or meshes.
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    SWEEEEEET!! I'm gonna have to play around with this when I get home tonight.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    thanks alot for this stuff yaz0r, it's always interesting to get insight in how others tackle the process of character creation. i too am looking forward to a potential release of the zelda/j3d viewer. good work!

snowfly: actually there are two models for each of the main characters - one at over 9000 triangles (probably for the ingame cinematics), the other one at around 3000.

i'm surprised at how many bones they have in their game - most main characters come in at over 200 joints. wow. in 2002 we were struggling with a 64 bone limit in unreal warfare on a pc that ran circles around ps2 - if i recall right.
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    Impressive yaz0r! I can't wait until you release the Kingdom Hearts viewer. That game is a personal favorite and it would be great getting to see the guts of the art that made it be the game that it is. Thank you for all of your effort put into this...it is greatly appreciated. Any chance we may see a Rumble Roses, MGS 3, Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive Ultimate or DOA Beach Volleyball viewer? Not asking for them, just wondered if you had plans to visit any other titles.
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anybody else try to run a model thru to OBJ and import to max 7? I run the exe out on C:, drag a model data file to it, hit enter and it spawns like an obj file, a material file, and tga files 0 thru 4 for player characters. I get the model into max fine and it retains it's UVs ok but the tga files keep exporting to pixeled garbage often like broken image files. Am I doing something wrong? If anybody else has tried and can see the newly spawned tga files fine and intact, please do tell how you did. Thanks.
  • Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i have the same problem TF can't load the textures... and maya obj importer doesn't really work as it should, but it's fine on max.
    And the DoaX models are already available somewhere XD
    The mgs3 ones could be very cool but you can find some screens on the jap xsi's homepage.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    WOAH that was hot!

I've had a look at some models and they are certainly well crafted :O

I took the time to take a few shots of what I believe is one of the main X characters.

Just note this is for EDUCATIONAL use only. Yazor clearly stated the reason why he did not include an object/texture extractor, I used an external app to do so.

I will also remove anything that is not game screenshot-like (aka textures and wireframes) very soon. I firmly believe this is an incredible occasion to have a look at stellar promade console assets yet I don't want anybody to be in trouble or something.

ff_03_ingame_high_low.jpg

ff_01_white.jpg

ff_02_white_closeup.jpg

ff_04_maps.jpg

Remember... Educational only. Get it while it lasts!
  • Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn you pior! are those textured models from max viewport?
    Comment t'as fait?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    TelekineticFrog: The DOA formats can be opened somehow, someone converted the Tina model from DOAXBV into UT2003 so there is a way to open them. The ninjahackers (.net?) forums had that, AFAIK.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Very interesting.
  • yaz0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yaz0r polycounter lvl 17
    Jolie gallerie Pior

I don't have problems with the screenshots. My point about not making an exporter is mainly about the improper use of the models. By giving too much power over the models, it would have been just a matter of time before people started to miss-use them. And as expected, the models converted with the obj exporter were miss-used and the guy who had made the exporter just pulled the plug....

So, you can keep the shots of the wireframe and even make more of those, I don't mind.

Regarding KH and J3D, one of the main issue that prevent me yet from releasing, is that I would have to rewrite them completly before. Those are test programs, quite badly written (guessing the format as I progressed), and completly user-unfriendly (no interface).
    The FFX viewer was in a similar state before I started rewritting it from scratch.
    Also, I have to fix the hi-poly versions of the KH models (they use a different way of skinning for those that I didn't quite figured yet). I would be interesting to also add animation to both (J3d is easier to do, dunno for KH).

Anyway, I have still some plans for FFXViewer. I have a new model dumper in the work (need a bit of tweaking before relase) that can handle event specific animation (those nice motion-captured moves).
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    interesting to see that their animations are jiggling all the time. i noticed this while playing ff but at the time assumed it was caused by their skinning system.
    but in the ffxviewer you can clearly see that their bones never rest. i wonder what might have caused this - downsampling of their animcurves to save on memory?

oh and an mgs viewer would be grand, of course wink.gif another game with very interesting character artwork that screams for exploration.
  • yaz0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yaz0r polycounter lvl 17
    Well, the animation engine doesn't really "interpolate" keyframes. They just store the position of every bones at 25fps. This system is quite good cpu-wise on a console (no real computation and interpolation), but isn't really meaning-full on PC. Also, this lead to those jigglings...

MGS would be interesting and I already thought about it (and Jak2/3 for the mater), but it's really a question of time (and I'm lacking a lot of that kind of resource right now..)
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you again yaz0r for the effort. It is a shame that you aren't able to share tools for things like this because of some people doing things to jeapordize the author, especially when there are people out there like myself which only intend to learn from them and not use them in a wrongful manner. What you have done is more than enough though. Pior a lecture isn't needed or an explanation, i think I've got it covered. wink.gif I was able to actually extract the maps fine from my personal file i extracted from the game discs. I also had to use an application that wasn't written for public use to get them exported correctly without destroying the tga files. The one obj exporter that you're refering too didn't quite do it right.
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to say thanks to you, yaz0r. Lots of stuff I learned/want to try just because looking at this stuff. I'm the most inspired I've been in a long time.

Yeah, it sucks that stuff can't be "open" because of people who misuse it; but I've found my own way :P.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Considering how dense the face is poly-wise, do you guys think that's done automatically (modifier, script, whatever) or by hand?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    daaaamn! I was just thinking how cool it would be to be able to look at the models from FFX and figuring it would never happen. huzzah!
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    kdr: that's a hand job laugh.gif they probably modelled their characters with the detail level suitable for the ingame cinematics - see pior's screenshots, looks like a polysmoothed cage mesh - and reduced it from there manually. the cage mesh was probably the starting point for the high res version, that was used for the rendered cinematics, as well.

it's amazing how all the character textures look like painted by the same artist. the credits for ffx are vague but they clearly must have had more than one character texture artist.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm just worried that someone really pulled all those vertices into position by hand.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Of course they will have, KDR! It's not that difficult smile.gif
    Very nice stuff... if any of you have seen the texture pages for some of the FFX monsters, they're ridiculously tight and well-used... pieces re-used all over the place but it's never obvious or cheap, it just looks awesome. Masterful UV maps and texture painting.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    I'm blown away by the bone count they have for each model. The investment in making it happen really pays off, though. A lot of the animations are great and make use of all the extra bones to really bring the movements to life.

I think it's the bone count that limits them as to how much can be displayed on screen... not so much the polycount. The monster polycounts are insane. Most nearing 10K... but not going over (which might be a limit to their engine, I think).

It's great stuff... but technically there isn't anything new in there that people don't know about. The models are well built, but some have dodgy weighting... but in those instances, they do a good job of hiding them with clevel camera controls.

If you look at some of the Shiva summon animations, you'll see that her knees crash when it gets extremely bent. Yet you never see it in the game because of where the camera is placed.

Their hair techniques are great, though. It's really impressive. And they actually look the time to write in proper alpha sorting into their engines to make it all work.

Also, a lot of the quality in the artwork is down to the artist and art director. The AD defenitely knows what fits and what doesn't.

But yeah, it's all good stuff. Thanks for releasing the viewer. I'd be interested to see the KH/KH2 and FF12 stuff, also.

By the way, am I the only one who finds it odd that they spent so many polies on the eyelashes... yet they didn't include geo for the tear ducts in the eyes? smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I find it awfully hard to make that many vertices form a good curve without much deviation, mostly because it's not that easy to check whether they actually form the curve and which way they'd have to be moved to correct that. Once the curve is there you can use soft selection, no problem, but getting them into the shape almost never works for me even with a fifth of that density.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    who the hell is this!?
    bugperson.jpg
    it was in the summoned aoens folder.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    that's one of the magus sisters if i recall right. it's a trio of nasty "women".

what i found odd in the ffx artwork was how "crappy" jekkt (jecht) was done. he is on screen so often yet looks so lorez in comparison to all the other main cast that it just doesn't fit. for those that didn't play ffx - jecht is some long haired topless guy with lot's of tatoos all over him.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, this is great, what an opportunity to learn from the best.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Square really is the best, no question about it. Every time I see one of their models or textures, I want to scream at how well made it is. The execution is flawless, every time. I used to think I was good at UV layouts till I saw some of their FFVI layouts for monsters. Square wins at game art.
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only flaws that stand out to me:

- Their facial topology sucks IMO. They could get much better animation out of them and be way more efficient with some better topology.

- I've noticed quite a bit of texture distortion on their face UVs. It's not very noticeable on their style of textures and it was probably the most "efficent" way to do it considering their very limited texture space.

Other than that, this stuff is at the top of my list. I look at so much of it and think to myself "this is how it should be done". This is a perfect example to show that you don't always need more polys/more res/more tech to make something beautiful.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    sinistergfx : i agree, their topology is nothing special (whole body, imho) but keep in mind that FFX production was started in '99 - topology wasn't such a hot topic back then when nurbs and not subd's were still the way to go for character modelling.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    one of my hommies has a modelviewer for finalfantasy XI..it extracted the textures and everything.. it exported to some wierd format.. i found an importer for max, we had a hayday with that.. i am sure he will soil his shorts when he hears about this..
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This raises a question. How much communication is there between japanese gamemakers and the rest of the world?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Why would they possibly want to share their techniques? They developed them, and it helps them make gobs of money. If anything it benefits them to NOT share their techniques. I'm just glad to glean what I can from looking at it.
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    one of my hommies has a modelviewer for finalfantasy XI..it extracted the textures and everything.. it exported to some wierd format.. i found an importer for max, we had a hayday with that.. i am sure he will soil his shorts when he hears about this..

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I made sure he had to change his shorts because of it.
  • Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heh the facial topology of the faces looks like francisco cortina's one, guess he learned a lot of techniques there
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not really interested in why they should (with your reasoning it'd make more sense for the US guys not to share as that helps direct competetion and yet they do). I just wondered if it happens, I seem to see more koreans than anything else from that part of the world.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    apparently english is not a widely learned secondary language in japan. possibly many japanese artists don't feel comfortable to go outside their home turf because they are not really good at english.
    besides, they have a big industry of their own and seem to focus on their market. totally different from e.g. europe. no idea about korea though wink.gif
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Really cool, thanks alot for this, great reference tool imo. I hope to see that KH model viewer soon, I have always wanted to see there texture flats and wires.
  • AfroLeft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AfroLeft polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    apparently english is not a widely learned secondary language in japan. possibly many japanese artists don't feel comfortable to go outside their home turf because they are not really good at english.
    besides, they have a big industry of their own and seem to focus on their market. totally different from e.g. europe. no idea about korea though wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Umm.. maybe, but isnt all the programming done in english?
    Or when you say artists you mean -artists-? :P

0060567724.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgAmazon.com
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    on the tools side there should be no problem - IDE's and 2d/3d art tools exist in translated versions. for programming, in theory all you'd need is to know the english keywords of common programming languages.

image this "in theory" printed in very bold and colorful letters though.
  • AfroLeft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AfroLeft polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, but even without knowing much about programming I can still look at code and get an idea of whats going on due to familiar words...
    Can you imagine having to learn programming thats not only in another language, but one that uses different characters.. thats full on.
    Or maybe not, as all programming to me doesnt make sence.. :O

I'm a little biased about whether or not they speak much english over there as my friend is over there now teaching school students. I get the impression that there is a fair amount of Romaji words in advertising and stuff. And because a lot of 3d technology is developed in the west they wont bother making up japanese words when they already exist..
    (that book that I linked too has studd on square, but there are no screenshots of their work that arent in game shots.. all the other developers have shots of Maya etc. or their custom tools)
    hmm.. what was this topic about again, i forgot :P
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you imagine having to learn programming thats not only in another language, but one that uses different characters..

There was a time when people coded directly to machine code. I would call most of the ASCII chart "different characters" (especially on a C64 keyboard, C64 ASCII is quite a bit uglier than PC ASCII).
  • the_podman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the_podman polycounter lvl 17
    When I was in Japan earlier this year, I was trying to type on my girlfriend's mom's keyboard to check my email. They got a whole different layout over there. If you are familiar with some japanese katagana/hiragana, you can download a software called GLOBAL IME for MS word and actually "type" in japanese Kanji and search Google.jp.com for some of your favorite japanese artists/modelers. I was able to find a couple of really cool links. Some with downloadable models.

The gaming market over there has a really wide salary range. You can be making shit money creating nothing by virtual pachinko games or work for a badass company like LEVEL 5, my personal fav. They also have got some really kickass gameschools there. One in Tokyo called TOKYOGAME and another that is right in KONAMI'S building to name a few. I took a look at some "student" work and it was pretty damn impressive.

But, yeah. I think poop's got the right idea. Looking at top quality work up closely and picking it apart in an attempt to sort of "reverse" engineer it is the best way to learn.