Home General Discussion

new narnia trailer

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
http://movies.aol.com/movie_exclusive_the_chronicles_of_narnia
i suggest getting the quicktime one.. it much bigger and you dont need to install the activex plugin .. it sht eview x-large trailer button
check check it

Replies

• JBoskma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JBoskma polycounter lvl 18
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    mmhhhh the cg seemed very good - but talking animals, teenagers as main actors in what looks like a lotr-ripoff? nah, thanks, i'm out smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    thomasp: I think it's based on a book so it's not necessarily a LotR ripoff, just another Disney public domain exploitation. Yes, public domain is nice, right? So stop extending those freaking copyright terms whenever Steamboat Willie is close to becoming public domain and make sure the PD starts growing again.
  • ewooz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ewooz polycounter lvl 18
    Well the author of the Narnia books C.S. Lewis was a close friend of JRR Tolkien. In fact Lewis was the one encouraging Tolkien to complete his books when he was on the verge on ditching the idea of getting it published. And Lewis was giving Tolkien ideas and input. Whilst C.S. Lewis also got inspiration from Tolkien’s ideas I'm sure, it might also explain to some extent why it looks like a LotR rip-off to you thomasp. But I think this is pretty unique, and it cannot be directly compared to Tolkien's stuff and it doesn't look like the Lotr movies at all to me.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    u guys are stupid, Stop it with ur fucking rip off crap, ANNOYING!
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    looks rad!
    /me rips off b1ll
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    C.S. Lewis = one of the greatest Christian authors of the mid-20th century. I read these when I was in high school. They were great children's stories. What I wonder is whether the core message of the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe will be allowed to remain intact. Because, you see, each of the books was an allegory of a particular Christian message or theme. This movie is about redemption by a being who dies in our stead to save us from the wrongs we ourselves have committed.

Of course, much of science fiction is built around relgious themes anyway (thank you Dr. Dennis Garn and my Popular Literature class way back in 1977).
  • ewooz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ewooz polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, Paul: Some even say that Tolkien's works also have allegories to the Christian message. The fact that Tolkien being a Christian as well might have influenced his writing one way or the other...
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    sure, i know that it's based on a book. still it (the trailer!) looks like a lotr ripoff but with talking animals and goofy looking kids. the first seconds actually remind of harry potter as well. double rip off?
    laugh.gif

calm down bill, get yourself a hobby.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    did you notice how they made a movie off a book and used special effects and cameras and actors? ripoofffsx1million tongue.gif
  • ewooz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ewooz polycounter lvl 18
    It also looks like they ripped off the sort of stuff you see on nature channel, the lion was quite like the lions there although it was talking. And also the snow looked like a rippoff of various Christmas movies. The whole film is a rippoff of movies we have seen before. I bet it even starts and ends with some sort of credits like we have seen in all other movies! Why couldn't they have just made it one still image with nothing in it - lasting for 2 hours perhaps in gold or a color of your choice and then we could use our imagination for those 2 hours eating our ripped off popcorn and having a laugh. Now that would be something.

Sorry, not having a bash at you thomasp only taking a walk in the park of sillyness.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Every time I see a new Narnia trailer, it looks better and better.

Paul: I own all of the Narnia books, and have read them many times, and I'd say that if the movie follows the plot and situations in that book, then it'll easily be possible to read some Christian religious significance into it. However, I would be disappointed if they were too obvious (or even heavy-handed) with the religious parallels, since a fair portion of the people going to see the movie may not even be theists, let alone Christians. If people with spiritual beliefs can find meaning to suit them in the movie, that's all well and good, but I really don't want it forced upon us. IMHO, religion is for churches, not for movie theatres.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I can't quite believe there are people talking in this thread about the world of Narnia as If it were 'perhaps based on a book or something' Jeez, did you grow up in caves?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, we grew up in a country where english literature isn't something children read very often.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    oh yeah, sorry smile.gif
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Silly non-english people
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    C. S. Lewis was Irish... so he himself was non-English smile.gif
    However, he was an Anglican...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    as a child, my dad read the whole series to me as bedtime stories. I was really hoping that LOTR would make fantasy movies popular again and it looks like its happening! huzzah!
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    why i think the cg and effects look good (main reason i want to see this) i think the overall feel of the movie is still cramped.. it dosent feel huge or massive like the LOTR movies did... the battle scenes, even though there are thousands of characters on screen it feels small..i just dont get the epic feel i think this movie should have.. everything is just too tight and cramped... even the harry potter movies can pull off that huge feel..it almost looks like something made for TV if not for the effects.. like they filmed it all with the cameras and director from Xena warrior princess.. thats how it looks.. just with millions of dollars worth of CG.. there still is probably tons of post production, so i will hold my tounge untill it comes out.

@thomasp ..if you know its based on a book, how do you expect them to make a movie thats based on a book about talking animals and kids, without the talking animals and kids??? should they be replaced with boobs and explosions??
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    I can't remember what i read first. The Hobbit, or The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe......

loved them both though.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    The trailer makes me tear up. Damn.

The Christian allegory in the Narnia series is brilliant, IMO. I completely missed most of it when I read the books as a kid (except for the Alsan-as-Christ theme in the first story), but having re-read them to my own kids, and knowing what I know now about Christian theology, the symbolism is unmistakable. And yet, it's so subtle that it's like it exists in a latent form. Unless you're ready to have it called to your attention, you won't get it. I think that's the best way, and the opposite of heavy-handedness.

It's worth noting, however, that Lewis pulls a lot of Classical Greek lore into the mix -- half of the Narnian population is composed of Pagan nature spirits ( that's often a very offensive thing to fundamentalist people ). Aslan leads nothing short of a Bacchanalian parade at the end of 'Prince Caspian', complete with Pan, nymphs and satyrs. That stuff is right up on the surface, and it's definitely included in Lewis' portrayal of Aslan. Go figgah.

/jzero
  • jdevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jdevin polycounter lvl 18
    That looks sweet! I can't wait to see it. The narnia series was one of my favorite as a kid. I wonder if disney is going to do the rest of the series. They probably will depending on how well this one does, so go see it everyone! Just go to a late showing to avoid the children.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    All these talking animals and no Eddie Murphy, wtf?!?
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Looking forward to this.

With Harry Potter, King Kong and this, it may actually salvage what may have beeon one of the worst movie years in recent memory.

Scott
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Hey! Batman Begins was not implied in that statement I hope?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obviously "worst movie" means something by Uwe Boll.
  • JBoskma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JBoskma polycounter lvl 18
    I bought the book(s) today. Will start reading it later today smile.gif