Home General Discussion

Quake 4 and F.E.A.R. Tomorrow!

-=Warhead=-
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
-=Warhead=- polycounter lvl 18
Yay, Quake 4 and F.E.A.R. Are comming out tomorrow. I'm getting both to see which Is better. Is anyone else going to get them ?

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I might look at Q4, FEAR doesn't sound interesting.
  • eXpendabLe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXpendabLe polycounter lvl 18
    I'll be picking them both up for sure! Can't wait!! w00t!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    tough choice... dont really like buying 2 games at once, but Im kinda interested in both of em.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    kdr: from what I can gather its the other way around.. I heard pcgamer us didn't give Q4 a great review, and IGNs wasn't overly enthusiastic- but the fear review in pcgamer uk raves about it. Having said that, I'll probably get both, just for the cool scifi art tongue.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Q4 is a mod platform, FEAR is just a generic FPS.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    I'm no Quake expert, but the reviews say that the multiplayer in q4 is rather bland. Fear may not be any better on the multiplayer front, but the full 10 metacritic points it currently has over quake speaks for something.

That said, I'm most likely buying neither. tongue.gif
  • ewooz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ewooz polycounter lvl 18
    According to planetquake's reviewers the multiplayer is fiercely cool (I'm excited you see) Well, at least it is similar to what you would expect from the Quake series and the graphics rocks. I'm definitely going to get Q4 since I have been playing deathmatch since Doom and I guess there's some sort of loyalty issue going on for me. F.E.A.R have to wait I guess, don't know if I'll ever get that though... Rather not I guess...
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    At quakecon quake4s multiplayer felt like a cross between quake2 and quake3. Something like it played more like quake2 but it had the silly awards and sounds from quake3. I really fell in love again. wink.gif Lets hope the levels flow well. smile.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    It seems rather funny. If the reviews and what we have seen thus far.

Fear single player will be strong, while its multiplayer will be weak. While Quake 4's single player will be dull, while its Multiplayer will shine.

So you have to buy both games to get your fill!
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i think quake will be waaaaaaay more fun i am a huge quake fan and the videos of gameplay looked pretty good to me i liked the pace... but i think FEAR has a better engine(visually speaking only)..volumetric lighting and shadows are pretty.. and unlike the doom3 engine their dynamic shadows arent hard as razors.. they have come up with a pretty nice smoothing algorithm of some sort..i would personally rather make a mod for fear.. its prettier..
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Q4 should hopefully be good for modding and blasting around in. FEAR never really took my fancy (also partially because the demo crashed my computer)... just didn't look that good to me. I'll try to pick up Q4.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    The fear demo was awesome and i'll defiantnly be picking it up too soon after I finish quake4. Don't count it out just yet. The demo did do something funny when i first ran it. It totaly shut my computer down. No error... nothing just went to the boot screen. Ran it again and it ran fine.

Give it another shot paul. smile.gif Its good.
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    I will be getting FEAR. Quake 4 looks like yet another boring FPS to me. FEAR on the other hand is made by monolith....one of the companies that has THE BEST track record for FPS games IMO. No One Lives Forever, Alien Vs. Predator 2, NOLF 2, Tron 2.0. All of them rocked. The marine missions in AvP2 were creepy as hell. One of the few horror games that have actually gotten me scared while playing. After playing the FEAR demo, it looks like they were able to re-create some of those moments.

When crazy shit happens in FEAR the screen starts to blur, your character starts breathing heavy and his heart starts beating....and my god are the firefights fun. Plus it has slomo jump kicking!!!! There really doesn't seem much that is Generic about FEAR......maybe people are saying that cause it's set in modern times...and uses guns...and has a first person perspective... or something.

I probably will pick up quake 4 eventually. But it wont be anytime soon. The game does not hold my interest, and i have other things i want to spend my money on (like a new wacom, an ergodex, and 2 more LCD monitors. I want the ultimate setup!!!!)
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I guess I can wait with buying Q4 until it's in the bargain bin and the first mods are finished. I shouldn't have bought Doom 3 when it came out, either.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think what is generic about FEAR is the visual design.. the look of the game is very generic.. guys in swat gear with guns you can go see at a swap meet.. there is an element of fantasy to quake as well as interesting character designs that is lacking in FEAR.. but i was able to look past "guys in gear with guns" long enough to just observe the light in the game and i think its really neat some of the stuff they did.. just the characters self shadowing, with soft shadows was cool enough for me..funny tho i havent seen many screenshots showing this off.. it is an option you have to turn on... soft shadows and i think it does require high systems specs.. but if you have a good enough system to crank up all the settings on FEAR its really impressive..
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think there's support for soft shadows in Doom 3, too, they just disabled it because it was such a HUGE ressource drain.

Either way, what I mean with generic is that it's just another FPS, that it doesn't stand out in any way. Not thegraphics or story, just that it feels like the same old all over again. Q4 is probably generic as well but it'll probably get a lot of mods. I just hope it doesn't eat that much HD space, I bought HL2 for the mods but uninstalled it before any were released just because it takes up so much precious harddrive space.
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can see why you think the "guys in swat gear" is generic, but the gameplay isn't generic at all. and it's got crazy cybernetic ninja baddies. And i'm pretty sure there is some other crazy baddies in the game they havn't shown yet.

I am a little dissipointed in the character design for FEAR, but i know why they did it. ALL the rest of thier games had really well done character designs (well in AvP2 they just made aliens, predators, and marines...not much to work with there) but the games never sold that well. Hell NOLF 2 had mancubes....that would roll up to you and bite you! It's pretty obvious to me that they went with a more realistic setting to try and sell more games. It's a shame too, I soooooo want to see another fps with the same humor as the NOLF series.

How could you not like an FPS with such lines as;
    "hello sir, would you like to buy a monkey?"
    "are you insulting my monkey?"

"do you want my children to starve?"
    "if your children are hungry, I suggest you FEED THEM THE MONKEY!!!"
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed, humour is something more games need.
  • man_o_mule
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    I'll be buying Q4 at some point.

I won't be buying FEAR.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm, I still got my fill of horror games from Project Zero (which I haven't played for a long time now). One thing is sure, FEAR will hit the bargain bin much faster than Quake and maybe I'll take it for a tenner.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I am getting FEAR right away, will be getting Quake 4 soon as well.
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    By the way, i forgot to mention what other game comes out on the same day that i will be buying. Shadow of the Colossus

damn you video games!!! I hate being broke....
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Reviews of Q4 are quite ignorant, and they were expecting an Unreal game with alternate fire and a Q3A sequel with a crapload of mp maps. They obviously haven't played a Quake game during their releases.

9 dm maps is not enough, WTF?! Doom3/Q1 had 6 and nobody complained about that, and q2 had NONE! (on initial release anyway)
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    People complained about Doom 3 (and it had only five BTW). The alternate fire expectation of many people these days is stupid, that leaves us with weapons like the pulse rifle in UT that got their secondary mode as an afterthought. I don't think people complained about the lack of proper alternate firemodes in Serious Sam 2, though.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not sure I'd be buying FEAR, I love the singleplayer aspect of it and if it came out earlier or Quake4 come out later, then I'd buy it but I don't like buying 2 games at the same time.
    I've always been an avid quake player so I'll have to sway into Quake4's direction... though the multiplayer maps look shite (boxilicious). I'm sure there'll be a good mod following though so there's plenty of time for quake 4's multiplayer to evolve into somethin greater.
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    I'd rather be playing NOLF3, but I'll take FEAR for now. I'll get Q4 as well, but probably later. As already stated, Shadow of the Colossus is coming out this week too, and that's the one I really, really want.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    one musn't forget "stubbs the zombie" is also coming out.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    "stubbs the zombie"

[/ QUOTE ]

Tommorrow also? Is that Platform only?
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    "stubbs the zombie"

[/ QUOTE ]

Tommorrow also? Is that Platform only?

[/ QUOTE ]

PC and Xbox. I actually did some level work on that one as well.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm.. Looks quite good, So thats where all the Bungie talent went after M$ killed them. Notice they even remembered Macs. smile.gif

Spewing arteries with zombies. Good times..
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    yea, it looks pretty damn fun
  • BIOS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BIOS polycounter lvl 18
    FEAR MP is quite fun, at least on a LAN here at work. i can't vouch for the netcode on it yet, since i haven't had a chance to play at home, but from what i've played, i wouldn't call it "weak" by a long shot.

i have my doubts about Q4 MP, since they haven't even included bot support in it, but i'm hoping that the community will take care of that and it'll be a non-issue.

either way, i pre-ordered both.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'd rather be playing NOLF3, but I'll take FEAR for now. I'll get Q4 as well, but probably later. As already stated, Shadow of the Colossus is coming out this week too, and that's the one I really, really want.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is word for word what I was going to type. Too bad I don't have a ps2. And nolf3...man... Im looking forward to that day.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    i think what is generic about FEAR is the visual design.. the look of the game is very generic.. guys in swat gear with guns you can go see at a swap meet..

[/ QUOTE ]

perhaps you missed the mech armor that shoots all the missles at you and all the badass weapons at the end of the sp demo?

I'm getting F.E.A.R. tomorrow. That game looks great when it's all turned up. I love games that are more than mindless shooters.

Quake 4 will have to wait since I forgot it was coming out tomorrow too. Can't wait for that one either.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Reviews of Q4 are quite ignorant, and they were expecting an Unreal game with alternate fire and a Q3A sequel with a crapload of mp maps. They obviously haven't played a Quake game during their releases.

9 dm maps is not enough, WTF?! Doom3/Q1 had 6 and nobody complained about that, and q2 had NONE! (on initial release anyway)

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never read a better, more true CheapAlert post than this one.
    Q3 had quite a few 70% reviews when it came out.
    The greatest deathmatch maps ever made were Q2DM1-Q2DM8
    and that is more than enough.
    I look forward to the same brotherhood with Q4 that I am receiveing with Q2 right now. Q3 was great, for a while, but now when I try and get into a game I get any myriad of "Sever is Protocol 69" yet I can jump onto a Q2 server any time of day and play against people.

Here's hoping Q4 will spark that up again.

Also, my name is Stubbs and I'm not a zombie, so I'm kinda leary of that game AZ.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    I've been hovering over craigslist in hopes of picking up an PS2 to play Shadow of the Colossus. Polymonkey had a demo disc at work and this game is amazing.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    I have to say that there are few games that can stretch a console to its limits and still look fantastic and Shadow of the Colossus is one of them.

Fear also seems to have a lot more replayability and i'm hoping the story elements are very good, basically everything that doom3 wasn't and more. Both multiplayer apects for Fear and Q4 will have ok enough multiplayer levels IMO, but i am hoping that both games come out with the tools necessary to make awesome levels and kickass mods and whatnot.

I dont know if it is a bad thing to have old school frag fests go up against the more "modern" team based games, but it will be somewhat refreshing.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    so I went to walmart, saw a copy of fear and decided to pick it up and check it out... so... i did... and umm... lol walmart wouldn't sell it to me... they have the damn game on the shelf, but it kept saying "sale not allowed" or something stupid like that... lol I'm guessing its cuz its not supposed to be out till tomorrow, BUT... why put it on the damn shelf if ur not gonna let people buy it... I didn't want to bother with it and just told them to keep the damn thing
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    and that comes from the all time frag champion of mythic entertainment.. cochtl will beat all of you.. bad.. he is the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world wide fragaration of fraggers.. no diggity

oh and rockstar.. might be casue they are open 24 hours.. and they can do the midnight release.. you should just take a copy from electronics where they know about that crap to the front and pay.. where they have no idea..
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I'm going to pick up both games, but I'm looking forward to fear quite a bit more as it is a monolith game and I've played the demo. Bullet time ninja kicks and real time physics on heads you have shot off your enemy, that shit is awesome.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    Defintely want to play FEAR badly.

side note: AvP2 rocked as did NOLF2
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    Ahh I have my good days and my bad days. Besides, i am only good with the rail gun; that and that alone frown.gif
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    The reviews of q4 have worried me a bit, I really hope this thing is easily moddable, and that there are a bunch of q3 levels already mostly converted.

Looking forward to putting some characters in self smile.gif unreal was a nice platform for creation but not having to have the ppms server sid on q3 made it the dogs danglies for modability. Please let it be the dame here

tpe
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    amazon says my Q4 secial edition is shipping the 18th to arrive the 19th....yay! smile.gif
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    I'm getting UT2004 off ebay.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Some one be sure to post how good the Q4 tools are. How it differs from Q3. What apps they support...etc. Let's hope they don't ship Gmax tools. :P
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It'll probably be like Doom 3 with a few additional editors. Overall that wouldn't be bad but it'd take some time to adjust to.
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    Quake4 I'll be touching, smothering with my hands caressing it's hard cover and the smooth cd's, oh yesss. ( wink.gif )

FEAR (demo) was... dull...
    The AI was kinda nice, but the storyline could've been any other lousy horror movie, and the machinegun handling just sucked.

[ QUOTE ]
    side note: AvP2 rocked as did NOLF2

[/ QUOTE ]QFE!