Home Technical Talk

3ds Max 7 and 8 (Snap Tool)

Palleschi
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Palleschi polycounter lvl 18
Does anyone know how to make the snap tool work like in version 6 or previous versions? It is really messing up my work method. Before I could leave snap to vertex on.. and when I grab the vert I could move it around and have it snap properly.. But, when I used the transform gizmos it would behave normal and not snap.

I do a lot of my work by Shift_pulling edges then snapping the verts.. Everytime I pull a edge I have to turn off Snap.. then turn it on to snap verts.. then off again.. it becomes extremely tedius.. In maya it has a sticky key for this..

any help would be appreciated.

peace
-mike

Replies

• Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Dude just use Target Weld for that. Drag a vert onto another and it welds, no hassle.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    I know what you mean. The way snap works definitely changed in 7, and I haven't found a way to make it work like it used to. I used to leave it on all the time also, but can't anymore. frown.gif

The only suggestion I can make is to assign the snap toggle to an easy to get to shortcut key, but you probably already did that.
  • Palleschi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Palleschi polycounter lvl 18
    hehe.. Yeah I switched my snap toggle to make it easy.. but it has become and annoyance.. I might switch it to vertex welding now... but it still not the same thing.. Yeah assasin... it kills me.. why change something if it isn't broken... It was so nice having it on all the time... cause there are times when I just want to snap to but not weld.. like.. when creating alpha planes for foliage on buildings.. or hair on creatures.. *shrug*... soon max will have sticky keys and other functions from maya.. smile.gif

peace
    -mike

PS if anyone is going to prague see you there!
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    The Snap Preview Radius and Snap Radius have different values than max 6. This is what can cause the difference in snapping. The snap strength in 3dsmax 4/5/6 is 8 instead of 20. Try changing your Radius values to 18/8 instead of 30/20 playing with those values and the others in the snap options tab might get you closer results.. if anyone still has max6 you can try copying them...