Home General Discussion

Serenity

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
just got back great movie, kinda anoyed they did not give us more info on book, since they made a few mentions of him not being all he seemed.

saw it with a co worker who never saw firefly, and he loved it also. all around great movie, great characters, great universe

Replies

• naruSol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    naruSol polycounter lvl 18
    It rocked, rocked more than blocks, socks and cocks combined into one uber-ock.

And Book's past is there. . . just listen.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SPOILERS BELOW

i kinda gathered that he may be a retired operative.. but that seems like verry loose guess work, i kinda wanted more

WASH CAN'T DIE
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    It didn't work for me too well. While the film might stand fine on its own, I just felt that he Firefly aethetic I so enjoyed from the TV series was largely absent. I like the unique juxtaposition of spaceships and fiddles, for whatever that's worth, and the movie came across as much more generic sci-fi than the 'space western' seen on TV. I mean, hell, did they have to upgrade Mal's suspenders to something that looked like they were on loan from Batman? It got polished and fancified, which is nice for moving to the big screen, but some of the rustic, rough-and-tumble appeal got lost along the way. YMMV.

Also, I second what Rhinomojo said on both accounts. Poor ol' Hoban...
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    Love the series....WILL see this! smile.gif
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    SPOILERS

I third the Wash comments...I hate hate hate Joss for killing him, and I love him for having the balls to do it. He didn't follow the Holywood formula; make sure everyone gets out okay in the end. That death, and especially the suddeness and abruptness of it, gave the entire rest of the film the tension that has been missing from films for far too long. Example, in War of the Worlds, there was absolutely zero tension through the entire film, because I knew Speilberg would not kill the kids. Therefore, the entire movie was essentially just passing time and looking at the effects; no emotional connection. In Serentiy, after Wash, every time someone was injured from then on out, I was scared. I didn't know if Zoe was going to sacrifice herself, if Jayne was going to get overrun, if Kaylee was going to die because Simon was dying on the floor; I hate Joss for doing that to me, and I love it.

I am the definition of conflicted. I am unsure if I would want to see a sequel just because I don't trust Joss to play nice with my emotions any more, and I would have to see it just because of that fact.

I also agree about Book, and I think it's apparent that River's training was probably to enable her to help wipe out the Reavers.

Frank the Avenger
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    picked up the firefly dvds today, was sold out at 3 places, i've seen the dvd rips before. but the show definately worth my moneys
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    SPOILERS (EVEN THOUGH THAT'S PRETTY OBVIOUS IN A BUNCH OF POSTS IN A ROW DISCUSSING THE MOVIE THAT CRITICAL PLOT ELEMENTS WOULD BE DISCUSSED LIKE THE GUYS THAT DIE IN IT)

Whedon confirms his writing chops--it's a very enjoyable film which, structure-wise, is almost indistinguishable from its other science fiction action movie brethren. but where those movies (star trek movies, etc.) take the structure and do all the predictable things with it, very much like watching an extended episode, Whedon understands how to pull the rug out from under the audience at just the right times. killing off steve the pirate, errr wash, was basically awesome. because a real death can't mean anything unless it hurts, unless it really makes you wonder how those characters are going to get along without him.

on the other hand, i could have done with a few less lingering shots of river doing her barefoot ballet toe step/deer in headlights expression combo... and of course any time simon and her talk it's the exact same exchange. but those are minor quibbles. an exceedingly enjoyable, funny movie that is also very accessible--too bad a lot of people who would really enjoy it (most everyone) might not see it.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    I avoided this thread, until I saw the movie this afternoon.

The Movie was inspiring, and I agree about poor ol Wash... That really hurt, and it did give on the tension, and unpredictability to the film. It was "Firefly", to me, but also much much more. T I HAVE to see this again, but I am really really scared for the characters if there is a sequel, because, well, I love them. And if this film wasn't a "Family" love story as well...

Scott

Scott
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Gah! Gauss! Spoilers!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    jkim: oh come on, you're saying you skipped past the posts with SPOILERS on them to read the other posts? be a good lad and don't look at a movie thread until you see the movie! smile.gif
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I did. I wanted to know if people liked the movie or not. Also, I liked Firefly quite a bit, so I like to read what people say about it, which is why I kept reading the thread.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Damn! That movie had me threw and threw. The way he built ontop of the show while keeping the movie still whole was masterful. I didnt feel like i needed to have seen the show to know where i was. For those who had seen the show he answered alot of the question that he had left open. I will be seeing this a few more times. This was eye candy yet at the same time mind candy. Not sense the alien franchise has the dark side of power be shown so well. A damn good movie!
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    jkim: oh come on, you're saying you skipped past the posts with SPOILERS on them to read the other posts? be a good lad and don't look at a movie thread until you see the movie! smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Gah! Dork! I actually DID skip the posts labeled *spoiler* as I havent had the time to see the film yet(jobs suck). Damn you! Now I'm gonna watch the movie the whole time thinking "Goodbye poor ole' wash" everytime he's on screen.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    coyboy bebop init
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perhaps spoilers

some of the things i really liked that were minor in the grand scheme of things, were teh way the reavers were handled, nice to see them actualy show up, i loved their ships, specialy the one that chased them in the begining with the billowing black smoke, so evil.

also liked how mal was portrayed , he was willing to do whatever was neccessary to acheive his goal, and ensure the safety of his crew. i doubt you would ever see captain picard hoist a couple dozen corpses of his friends up on the nose of his ship for a clever disguise.

i'm also a fan of whedons other work, angel and buffy, and while firefly is by far the most serious of the 3, all of them prove just how good he is at creating characters that you grow to care about. he is also probably one of the better dialogue writters i have seen, all the witty quirky comments flow and do not seem forced like they do a lot of the times.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    fine fine, i edited my post for the spoiler babies. honestly, until we get some spoiler tags, you really ought to know better. nerds and their spoilers, i tell you. next thing you know people are going to get pissed off at me mentioning how hermione dies in the as yet unreleased next harry potter novel.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i heard she dies trying to do some ancient lost japaneses spell. aparently theres a lot of important magic words that have pronouciation far to simmiliar to "bukkake" for any good to come of it
  • Major Clod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Major Clod polycounter lvl 18
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    rhino: definitely. i also thought that the lovescene between mal and jane was really tastefully done and surprisingly erotic.
  • ShadoKat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ShadoKat polycounter lvl 18
    Does anyone remember or still have the Firefly Unreal Tournament models?
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Saw it. Loved it. Despite all the glowing praise, it was even better than I was expecting.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Saw the movie - it was GREAT. It's amazing how it managed to be tension high, HILARIOUS (OMG!), and scary all at the same time.

Grade-A movie, wow.
  • ShadoKat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SPOILER ALERT... DUH...

Loved it loved it loved it!! I was sooooo happy that it was soooo good! And here I was, only aiming for "not sucking." Yes yes, very pleased. I think it captured the space cowboy aesthetic almost as well as the show, especially with the dialogue. I only had a few major complaints, and they are mainly because I watched the show...

1. The Reavers have only been around for 12 years? Come on!
    2. "Two by two, hands of blue..." Where were they?
    3. A bit more information about River's "training program" would have been nice. What was she being trained for? For example, why was River so hot on Miranda? Was it, as the Operative suggested, because she read the mind of an official? If that's the case, why did she say "Miranda" before she flipped out? She handled the Reavers well enough, so I would like to think that they were training a small army of elite kids like her to wipe out the Reavers and reclaim/cover up the Miranda debacle. Did they actually say something to that effect and I missed it, or do I win the no-prize?
    4. Okay, I'm a dork... I missed the theme song. I didn't really expect it to cross over into the film, but I'm sentimental. The instrumental version they had at the very end of the credits wasn't enough.

All in all it rocked my nuts. This may end up being the first movie I see in the theater more than once.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    1: i dunno.
    2: apparently the blue hand fellas are dealt with in the comic that deals with some time between the series and the movie. haven't read it myself, but that's what i heard.
    3: yeah, that's why the operative was pissed at doctor guy, because he took "high ranking officials" of all kinds into the room where River was being tested... River, who can read peoples' minds. She's complaining the whole movie about how she's soaking up other peoples' memories. that's how she knows about Miranda, presumably.
    4: dork laugh.gif

well though it's performing modestly in theatres, i think they realize that Serenity will likely really flex its muscles when it hits DVD.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I saw the show a hand full of times. I liked it and never really wondered why it was pulled off the air. Just when I started to think I might get into it, they pulled it. Anyone know why?

I'm not reading the thread past the first post because I see a ton of spoiler warnings. I am going to see it tonight. It was a tough call last weekend between Serenity and A History of Violence. So far History of V was a damn good choice. I know I'll be dragging my wife to the theater, hopefully Serenity won't disapoint.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    I had never seen or heard of Firefly before this movie was starting to be pushed and the final trailer hit . Serenity without knowing anything about the series was really awesome . If they changed a few things and made it more epic it could have been another Star wars . I personally think it was on Par with fifth element and of course I loved fifth element smile.gif
  • ShadoKat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks gauss... I don't think I really got across what my frustration was, so I edited number 3. It wasn't so much a "how did she know" but "why was it such a big deal to her?"
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    Boooo! i am in austraila.. the movies dont come out here for like 2 or 3 monthes after the states.. by the time i get back i bet it wont be playing anymore.. first downside to austraila i have found..
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i havent read the comic, but the blue hand guys i assume were part of the blue sun corp, which is teh dominating future corporation of the firefly universe, you see their banners and comercials thruout the series, suposedly they were to play a major part in later storylines, but oop show go bye bye
  • Major Clod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Boooo! i am in austraila.. the movies dont come out here for like 2 or 3 monthes after the states.. by the time i get back i bet it wont be playing anymore.. first downside to austraila i have found..

[/ QUOTE ]

Heheh, check your movie times... I think you'll find that we here in Australia got the movie on the 29TH of September... The US release as the 30th of September.... Taking time zones into account, we almost got it two days ahead!
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    holy crap!! awesome!! i retract the first downside statement.. austraila is wicked cool once again..
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Just back from watching it, loved it.
    It's refreshing to see someone get it right.

r.
  • Major Clod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The first nine minutes has been put online by Universal.

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2681478?htv=12
    http://video.vividas.com/CDN1/3929_Serenity/web/index.html

Please try and send these links to anyone who may be interested, this movie should be getting more exposure than it is.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    thanks for that Major Clod. Most enjoyable. You've just inspired me to go see it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I forgot to post my thoughts after seeing it. I really liked it! I ordered Firefly - The Complete Series and can't wait for it to show up. It left me with a few questions but I think the series might answer those.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    good flick. beats the heck out of the last three crapwars flicks. It wasn't flawless, but it definitely deserves to make more money than it probably will frown.gif
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    Saw it Friday. Loved it! Loved the series and don't understand why they took it off.

*SPOILER*
    Near the end when the iris type door opened and River was still standing with all the dead reavers and blood still ldripping off her axe and sword I actually got a tear in my eye and wanted to stand up and shout "YEAH"!!
    *DONE*

Excellent movie...go see it now! I WILL have the DVD.

salfood-smiley-007.gif
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    WTF wrong post.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I missed the series for the fact I've boycotted television for the past 4 years. I just watched this movie.

Best movie I've seen. Not just best scifi. Calling it scifi only degrades the quality of this film. Hopefully this gives the genre the motivation it's needed for so long. I hope the Ender's Game movie can compare. I loved those books for the same reason I loved this movie. I cared for these characters. I'll be buying the Firefly series now. My mind is still absorbed in just those two hours of film. I want more.

I'm glad someone else has put FOX in its place. Hopefully a respectable TV network will bring the series back somehow.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    They are making an Ender's Game movie? Awsome! Loved the book.

As for Serenity, I thought it seemed like a two hour long T.V. show, but that was great, becuase the show was great on Fox. I thought the plot was very well done. Defintly go see it.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    Orson Scott Card reviews Serenity

oh and Serenity was very, very good smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    The Ender's Game movie has been in development for a long, long time. Card wants to make sure it's done right, so he's very picky about it, so he's turned down a lot of studios. I understand the option actually expires this December, and he's said if he can't get something going by then he's just going to stop trying.

Frank the Avenger
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    I'm a big fan of Firefly... haven't had the chance to see Serenity yet frown.gif Felt like shit on and off this past weekend, so I'll see it sometime this week. I purposely ignored my friends who've seen it and haven't read any of the posts on any serenity thread, so I won't know what's coming smile.gif I just know that even my friends who never watched the series still thought it was badass. With all the hype, hopefully there'll be a second more or a return to the tv series... I'm hoping for the later because I'd rather have a weekly dose.
  • Major Clod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definately prefer a new series... It just gives you so much more time for you to find out about these characters, and in my opinion thats the best part of Firefly.