Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP: T-34/85

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
I've been working on this for a few weeks now (most of that time I've not been working on it :P) and it's taking shape.

I have some problems however. The smoothing on the front of the turret looks weird. Think some welding and cutting could cure that?
Furthermore, I haven't been able to find enough pictures of the top of the turret. Yes, I know, Google. But it mostly shows innacurate models or pictures from ground level. Anyone have something helpful?

Pic: t34wip23uy.png

Thanks in advance smile.gif

PS - I know, it's not a beautiful render. I'm rather limited to Gmax.

Replies

• Scott Ruggels
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Oh... you best be gettin' my Baby right. I have driven one of these, a former Czech model, that this resembles strongly. the things I done se is the massive "piano" style hinge at the top of the driver's hatch. the single "headlight" on the left front corner of the hull and the rounding of the rear deck engine cover. also the blister for the hull MG needs a bit of work as in some cases it's cast into the hull, and in others its roughly welded from a thick walled pipe.

These links may help
    http://www.battlefield.ru/t34_85.html
    http://www.battlefield.ru/t34_76_4.html
    http://www.battlefield.ru/t34_76_6.html
    As should this image:
    t34_85_25.gif

Hope this helps.

Scott
  • Steakhouse
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    Scott strikes again smile.gif
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, thank you, Scott. Very helpful indeed ^__^
  • motives
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    the smoothin error on the turret comes from a polygon in "tension" try moving the verts around so the polygon is perefctly square. If its supposed to be curved or be part of a curved object you need to add in more edges to support the curvature
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    If this is for high poly (which I'm assuming it is) can we see it with either Turbosmooth modifier added, or with the smoothing groups removed, to better see the makeup of the mesh and surface?

A couple different views would work well too. Are you going to be texturing this?
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: t34wip21vo.png

t34wip19qt.png

I'm rather lazy, so I haven't done much more than extra detail on the turret. Made a start on the back, but I think the bolts are too large.

Gmax lacks a Turbosmooth modifier, and Meshsmooth ruins the sharp edges that it should have. I turned off the smoothing on the turret, but I'm a bit doubtful wether it is of any help. I should really look into that one of these days, but something tells me I should postpone the most important things O_o

I don't think I'll texture it. Again, it's Gmax. It can only use Planar mapping, so the parts get deformed, making unwrapping horrible.
  • Moz
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    T34_85.jpg
    The turret doesnt look round enough.
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    and Meshsmooth ruins the sharp edges that it should have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. Subdivision is a common workflow for something like this. You just need to understand more about what topologys produce what results when smoothed. You can achieve sharp edges If you want. But I can assure you that in real life that tank has no absolutely sharp edges, because nothing really does. Have a look at this cool and highly informative thread on the kind of modeling I'm talking about: http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=56131&page=&fpart=1&vc=1

Currently you seem to be working in an 'as is' resolution which is an unusual method for hi-poly. Not out of the question by any means, but rare perhaps. Although I noted in the thread above that Strangefate seems to use this technique on occasion and you can't argue with his models! smile.gif So I guess it depends on the situation. So in the case of the turret here, you're going to have an extremely hard time achieving any kind of smooth organic feel to it without using some kind of subdivision. The tank looks pretty nice though.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Biggest mistake, other than not rounding the front of the turret, is the fact that the loader, and the Commander's hatches are reversed.

I have a half built T-34/85 in 3dsMax4, where I did the turret in Surface tools, and the shapes are a bit more rounded. Would you like to see it?

In real life the turret was a smooth, rounded casting, with maschined in holes and the top of the turret was a flat 1 inch thick piece of steel welded in with triple beaded welds.

Scott
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Currently you seem to be working in an 'as is' resolution which is an unusual method for hi-poly. Not out of the question by any means, but rare perhaps. Although I noted in the thread above that Strangefate seems to use this technique on occasion and you can't argue with his models! So I guess it depends on the situation. So in the case of the turret here, you're going to have an extremely hard time achieving any kind of smooth organic feel to it without using some kind of subdivision. The tank looks pretty nice though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you mean by an 'as is' resolution... What should I do differently?

[ QUOTE ]
    Biggest mistake, other than not rounding the front of the turret, is the fact that the loader, and the Commander's hatches are reversed.

[/ QUOTE ]

XD
    I had my top blueprint flipped, but that's easily changed.

[ QUOTE ]

I have a half built T-34/85 in 3dsMax4, where I did the turret in Surface tools, and the shapes are a bit more rounded. Would you like to see it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I would like that smile.gif . I'm used to making low-poly stuff, so I don't know how to make smooth high-poly stuff that well.